Insanetrooper's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes lots of pictures but they are scaled down in size for easy fast loadabilty. yeah i said loadability!

Its been awhile for me to post any of my builds here. before the site/server switch I posted everything. Ive still been doing work and taking pictures and I decided to start posting projects again because there are some amazing builds on here and I really enjoy looking and getting inspiration from all the projects on here. So heres my WIP. Have any questions just ask away! I know I wouldnt be where I am if I didnt ask a few million questions.

Anyways Heres a few pictures I've taken I have more but you will just have to keep checking back!

With the helmet I built the pep helmet ( Rundows awesome file!), melted down Chavant Medium clay and poured thin layers into the inside of the helmet untill i had a good 1inch to 1 1/2 thickness inside, this took about 11lbs of clay and around 15 layers. then once cooled I tore all the paper off ( I really hate that part!) and under that I had my rough helmet form to work from.
once I had the detail I was happy with i went onto molding and casting.

IMG_0715-1.jpg

IMG_0718-1.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Then next I have some of the chest and body parts, some just pep and some just getting fiberglassed. these files I used Hughs files.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24388-Hughs-Odst-Build?highlight=hugh
his pep files are a little different to get used to building but in the end you get some really detailed durable pep models! For the shoulders I used Kirrou's files.

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! that is one helluva clay sculpture there, just you seemed to take the longst possible method. then again, you now have a pretty decent cast that cou might be able to use to recast some extra helms!
everything else is looking nice and clean, and cant belive just how quickly some people work. good job

OMG! Awesome:D! Quick question, what type of glue did you use on your pepakura? I used hotglue, and when I poured melted clay into the pep, it fell apartXD

what clay and how much?

Hey there, I love your method of pouring clay into the pepakura helmet. It really adds speed to getting a good clay base for the helmet on a whole and helps with symmetry loads! I was just wondering if you use chavant nsp medium or hard? Also how hard are these clays really? Is medium easily spread and smoothed with fingers and hard much more difficult? Also how much clay do you typically pour into the pepakura?

hey trooper, I always love your clay cast into pep method.

I know you just sculpted it smooth but if you don't want the pep tabs next time being an impression in the clay. Could gluing the tabs on the outside work?

Hey there, I love your method of pouring clay into the pepakura helmet. It really adds speed to getting a good clay base for the helmet on a whole and helps with symmetry loads! I was just wondering if you use chavant nsp medium or hard? Also how hard are these clays really? Is medium easily spread and smoothed with fingers and hard much more difficult? Also how much clay do you typically pour into the pepakura?

I belive he uses Chavant NPS Medium judging by the color.

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback!
I have more updates coming

OMG! Awesome:D! Quick question, what type of glue did you use on your pepakura? I used hotglue, and when I poured melted clay into the pep, it fell apartXD
I used Elmers glue, but im sure superglue would work too, but hot glue will fall apart, ive seen the pics and its no good seeing all the work fall apart into a mushy pile. yeah elmers take a little more work but wont fall apart at least haha

yeah this method works great for giving symmetry, I used Chavant nsp medium. this clay is pretty hard, its easy to work with your fingers if its warm, ill use a small hair dryer sometimes to make is easier to work and just work small areas at one time. each time i heat up a pot of clay i use about a pound at a time cut into little cubes, put it on low heat and stir in a couple cubes at a time.

stealth
hey trooper, I always love your clay cast into pep method.

I know you just sculpted it smooth but if you don't want the pep tabs next time being an impression in the clay. Could gluing the tabs on the outside work?​
yeah i made a small pep model before and put the tabs on the outside and it came out pretty sweet. the tabs can be hard to work with sometimes, ill get high an low spots but just have to work them out of the clay and smooth them over

oh so you do it in thin layers, okay thanks! but how much clay would you use in the helmet before you stop to peel the paper off? couple pounds? im just wondering because im ordering some clay and was wondering how much i would need for the average helmet. :)

oh so you do it in thin layers, okay thanks! but how much clay would you use in the helmet before you stop to peel the paper off? couple pounds? im just wondering because im ordering some clay and was wondering how much i would need for the average helmet. :)

Yeah I pour it in and turn the helmet around so I can get a nice even layer on everything. Also one important thing is once you pour it in and slush it around and it's starting to cool Don't just lay it down, the first few layers the paper will be really soft feeling, so what I do is grab a hand towel or dish towel and ( because the clay is still super hot) hold the helmet in my lap until it cools. It's about 45 in-between pours, and don't put it in the freezer to speed it up, lol it will crack! This I know from experience haha. For thickness I like to put in about an inch to inch and a half and that keeps it sturdy and won't crack or fall apart. When i ordered I ordered 12lbs but ended up on both my noble six and odst helmet using about 10lbs.
Lol so short answer, 1" to 1.5" thick and I recommend 12lbs of clay

thanks insane :) this will be a great help :p just as an insight i plan on putting your method to use on an N7 breather helmet from mass effect, im sure the results will be just as i dreamed of :D

got some more updates. ill show my painted parts, I have more pep stuff done but we have all seen pep work right! not too exciting.
So I have the two side parts done and the helmet painted, with the helmet im not sure if i like
how the paint turned out, but i can always repaint it or cast a new one, but ill give it a couple days to sink in. also im working on a small vacuum former for the visor so ill get some pictures up when that project is a little further.

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

7/5/11
Alright got a update of the little vacuum former i built for the visor. super simple but effective! now working of the visor buck

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

wow. a pretty well made vac former, though you may want to add a few more holes there, hope it turns out well

Wow that looks amazing! I'm thinking about giving that a try now...How long did it take you to pep the helmet?

hey thanks everyone for the feedback!

wow. a pretty well made vac former, though you may want to add a few more holes there, hope it turns out well​
I havn't tried it yet but since ive never made one before ill take any advice
so ill try putting more holes in. thanks!

iGrunt
Wow that looks amazing! I'm thinking about giving that a try now...How long did it take you to pep the helmet?​
this was a pretty complex pep and i think it took me about 4 days. but thats just working on in a few hours a day

EDIT: Got some more pictures of my painted parts

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

got more updates here, work is going slower than i would like but had some hard time finding all the pep files that i needed. so heres the hip plates i have so far

IMG_0800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back