Interim Leadership Introduction

Discussion in 'Southwest Regiment' started by Asgardianhammer, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Asgardianhammer

Asgardianhammer Identity Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Thank you FANGS ! I couldn't agree more!
    eiros you will also notice you now have a new ribbon attached to your Avatar! Congratulations and thank you again for offering to assist with the Southwest.

2. eiros

eiros Member 405th Regiment Officer

I did thank you! Glad to be of service

3. MyrHerder

MyrHerder Member

Reporting in after too long of an absence. Up to last year I was, as far as I could tell, the only Tucson AZ member. I knew 2 other Halo cosplayers in town, but neither were interested in joining 405th. I also know of a large group of Halo cosplayers in Phoenix AZ, calling themselves Fireteam Phoenix, but they are actively anti-405th. So I don't think you'll get much traction in Arizona.
    I recently moved to Austin TX, so I'll be able to attend many more events moving forward. My most recent event was the Xbox One X (Scorpio) release event in San Antonio.
    I would like to help with activity, so I'll be sure to promote the 405th on my social media channels, for as much as that's worth. Also, I would like to learn more about what the Membership Officer role entails. I do like me some data management.

4. crackhead09

crackhead09 RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Yeah I've met one person who was very non 405th and that was 8 years ago, never gave a reason why either.

MyrHerder I'm in Austin as well!

MyrHerder likes this.
  5. death1ink

death1ink Jr Member

Sorry for being inactive for the last couple of years. I'm in Oklahoma and met with TJ at a local con. Currently in the process of building a new suit.

Asgardianhammer likes this.
  6. Asgardianhammer

No Worries death1ink. Life takes precedence. Glad to hear you are back and building!

7. FANGS

FANGS Commanding Officer Community Staff Division Staff

8. Asgardianhammer

Glad to our Spartan brother and sisters I the Southwest active again!

9. Asgardianhammer

To clarify also I know a few of the Fireteam Phoenix members and i wouldn't say "Anti-405th". What i would say is that we need to open some better dialogue with that group as they are strong and cohesive and that is exactly what we need to help set the example and provide leadership support.

I would love any and all support for crackhead09, eiros, and myself as we try to grow this regiment and recruit more members!

10. crackhead09

Arizona 405th? And they’re anti 405th? I’m a little confused.

11. MyrHerder

MyrHerder Member

crackhead09 They are anti 405th. They are not 405th. They are a self-operated Halo cosplay group running out of Phoenix. I tried to speak with their leader about their presence at a Tucson convention, but personalities clashed and the discussion quickly derailed. I can see why they didn't last in the 405th.

12. crackhead09

If the group is called Fire team Phoenix, then I know why they are. Read this post.

_Capture.JPG

_1Capture.JPG

Which I believe those reasons are why they no longer associate with the forum anymore. I believe those rules are no longer a thing anymore?

13. Cadet

Cadet Executive Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

That second quote from "Ben Wheat" is a common exageration/misunderstanding. From the moment we introduced Deployment there have been people who did not understand that it was an Optional Process that would only be used to determine event attendance in extreme and limited cases based on requests from an outside entity like Micorsoft or one of their Media Partners, and that our default view was that all events are open to all members. That has been clearly stated from Day One and is spelled out in the Deployment FAQ. It was never a Rule or intended to be a Rule that you had to ba Deployed to attend an event but unfortunately this misunderstanding continues to exist and be propagated by Former and Current members. Deployments were always meant to be about celebrating a member's accomplishment first, and any level of logistics second.

As for the No Tea Bagging thing, yes, That is a guideline. It is not a "Rule" spelled out in the Mantle, but in our event guidelines and planning FAQs it is stated that when representing the 405th that behavior is unacceptable. Tea Bagging is offensive, intended to be seen as a humiliating action, and has no place in an organization that represents all Halo fans in a professional and courteous manner.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  14. MyrHerder

MyrHerder Member

Exactly. They had a lot to say about the costume approval process. I didn't know teabagging was part of the argument too. Personally, I'm glad people like that aren't in our community.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Cadet likes this.
  15. crackhead09

I thought people came here to learn how to make their own costume.

16. Asgardianhammer

I think its fair to say that we have been and always will be a community of builders and people who share and wish to learn. We have morphed to a degree with the forum ownership change to a costume club that still holds those beliefs with better structure and support and yes many of the new rules have been over exaggerated and not given the chance to help us get better organized. Unfortunately this has led some to a negative conclusion about the 405th. The few requests that we get have never requested screen accurate costumes, but fans in armor looking to represent that fandom.

I think it would be wise for all of us to do our due diligence in regards to the rules and in helping to dispel myths about our organization. The only way we can get these disparaging comments and thoughts about us to go away are to educate.

17. Cadet

Cadet Executive Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

The 405th is multi faceted organization that people can get out of what they want. We understand people come here for a variety of reasons and try to provide a space for as many as possible. That includes making sure we prepare for, and have systems in place to best serve, all those outlooks and styles of member.

Some people do just want to make their own costume. That is fine, that is why all it takes to be a "405th Member" is to have a Forum Account. And some people, many people, that is all they want. They learn to build, they get their files, they make their costume, and then they disappear and we never see them again. Or there are those members who just love making models and unfolds. They can be "members" without ever building a single costume. But they are still here and a vital part of the community, so they are afforded the same level of membership as any other person.

But some people want more. They want to do more with their costume, they want to feel more connected with the community. That's where our Regiments come into play. And you don't even need a costume to join a Regiment.

Some people strive for screen accuracy, and that is who Deployments are for, those members whose focus is on build quality. We reward them for their commitment and skills and we encourage them and others to keep improving by offering multiple levels of Deployments.

And outside groups, organizations, companies, et cetera do come to the 405th and invite us to their events to help them out. They do that because we are organized and we have the structure to deal with and fulfill event requests. We are cultivating a reputation for professional and courteous behavior in our appearances, and that goes a long way towards there being more invitations for all of us.

And even though it has not happened yet through our current event request system, someone could come to us and ask for a certain level of quality in costume for an appearance. It has happened before but it was done through back doors and "friends of friends" and unofficial channels. An open group like ours, with set rules and procedures goes a long way towards both
    -Giving every member a more equal shot at getting to do some exclusive cool event, rather than only the friends of the "right" or "popular" person
    -Allows an outside event to have a wider pool of candidates to choose from.

This diverse set of viewpoints and functions is one of the challenges we face, and as a Command Staff member you will need to be able to understand, respect, and balance them all.

Asgardianhammer likes this.
  18. Viridiana Sovari

Viridiana Sovari Member

Asgardianhammer I am back into the build process and active once again on the 405th in the Southwest region, Phoenix, Arizona specifically. I would like to help out and be of assistance anyway possible.

19. Asgardianhammer

That is awesome! crackhead09 is the Southwest RXO and eiros is the RMO. Let's hear from these fellows. Would love to get some more assistance and fill slots!

20. Zero 071

Zero 071 Jr Member

Those quotes are from 2 years ago, when there was a huge debate on the costume standards and rules. I do not associate with this forum anymore and the local group members can do as they wish, Fireteam Phoenix is not associated with 405th in any way. I was the regiment commander, but all the politics for a hobby are too tiresome and I cosplay for fun. I most likely won't respond to this post as I do not check the forums anymore and was only aware of this because a friend told me about.

I am not anit-405th, I just choose to no longer associate with them.

21. Asgardianhammer

Zero 071 for starters thank you for the clarification.

I would like to say that with all groups and change that occurs when a pivotal moment is experienced, as it was when the forum was under new ownership, there is some policy disagreement or politics that surface. I hope we have moved passed a lot of those growing pains and I know I have been working hard in the Southern regiment to recognize and encourage those in my neck of the woods to come back and be the champions they once were for the forum. Those amazing builds in those early days and their encouragement is what drove me to be part of this community. They are all invaluable. I hope that everyone would give us a second chance and help us be a better organization.

Lieutenant Jaku and Sean Anwalt like this.
  22. BryZad

BryZad Member

Hey I just wanted to say that I am part of Fireteam Phoenix. Seeing us being bashed out right for it is pretty petty. We have a presence at convention all over Arizona. MyrHearder who did you talk to at Tucson Comic Con ? We're they in armor and do you know what color they were ? When the costume veting came out push a negative aspect on start up cosplay people. I personally meet a awesome person who make halo armor out of cardboard. So making everyone welcome no matter what there skill level is where we try and make them feel encouraged and welcome.

23. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Is there bashing going on? All I saw was an explanation of people's difference in perceived directions and goals when it comes to a cosplay group.

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  24. BryZad

BryZad Member

With some of the comments about us ( Or from a indvidual ) not representating the 405th. To me comes across as not wanted in the 405th forms or otherwise.

25. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I'm just here to build costumes and help others do the same. Many of the other forum regulars are of the same opinion. If you're not feeling welcome I'd say you're not talking with the right folks because everyone here is either extremely helpful, a memelord or some combination of each.

Sean Anwalt likes this.