Introduce Yourself

MathieuCryptid

Yeah, at least go once . Hopefully as a 405.
I’ve been going to conventions and cosplaying since 2014 but have never done anything Halo until this year, NYCC and San Diego Comic Con have been on the top of my list to visit but I’ve never been able to do either. NYCC should definitely happen next year though!

Deltaraven

I’ve been going to conventions and cosplaying since 2014 but have never done anything Halo until this year, NYCC and San Diego Comic Con have been on the top of my list to visit but I’ve never been able to do either. NYCC should definitely happen next year though!
Wow!! HALO cosplay is new to me as well. I normally did starwars at the cons. I look forward to going to NYCC as a Spartan this October

MathieuCryptid

Wow!! HALO cosplay is new to me as well. I normally did starwars at the cons. I look forward to going to NYCC as a Spartan this October
I’ve always wanted to make Halo costumes but wanted to do it right, and now that I have some 3d printers and some painting skills I’m diving into the deep end lol

MathieuCryptid

3d Printing is super fun!!! I have 3 printers almost running all the time. Working on a storm trooper for a friend as we speak.
I have 2 Ender 3’s working full time on my EOD Spartan. I love them so much, I’ve done The Mandalorian, Captain Rex, and made Bo Katan for my girlfriend so they’ve been busy for the past couple of years lol

k1lroy

Howdy, I'm new to the 405 but have been a Halo fan since Halo 1. I build a full suit of armor years and years ago out of foam board using what I now know is called the prepika method, but doing it with purely magazine and bungie weekly update screen shots of halo 2 armor (and using no resin to make it durable). I even had the helmet lights. If I can find some old photos I'll scan them in and share them.

I just went to my first con and was inspired to cosplay again, and of course you know I gotta represent Halo.

------
My question to the community, which I did not see in the tutorial list. What are the pros and cons of each method? Paprika method, vs eva foam, vs thermoplastic, vs 3d print, vs resin casting)?

Can the paprika method look just as nice as other methods, or will it always look a bit janky/pixilated with the individual cut outs?

Rock Lobbster

Stream Team
Member DIN
S098
Howdy, I'm new to the 405 but have been a Halo fan since Halo 1. I build a full suit of armor years and years ago out of foam board using what I now know is called the prepika method, but doing it with purely magazine and bungie weekly update screen shots of halo 2 armor (and using no resin to make it durable). I even had the helmet lights. If I can find some old photos I'll scan them in and share them.

I just went to my first con and was inspired to cosplay again, and of course you know I gotta represent Halo.

------
My question to the community, which I did not see in the tutorial list. What are the pros and cons of each method? Paprika method, vs eva foam, vs thermoplastic, vs 3d print, vs resin casting)?

Can the paprika method look just as nice as other methods, or will it always look a bit janky/pixilated with the individual cut outs?
Welcome back to the world of Halo costuming! Our lovely lad Duke put together a pretty great guide on the difference in materials. Pepakura still holds up today and is used by quite a few people however so if you're most comfortable with that, you can still very well stick with it.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424

Those are really good questions k1lroy. Let me answer the 2nd one first.

Its not the method. Its the time and effort one puts in. I've seen foam builds that look just as good as a printed one and pepakura is just another method. One is not any better that the other since again it how much time you put into each piece will determine the quality of the end result. Its also what you feel most comfortable with using. People with limited space find that doing the pepakura method is not possible due to the harmful vapors the resin gives off. And printing out an entire suit can be expensive. And some people find foam too forgiving and has a short life span.

Now as to your 1st question, there are many pros and cons for each of these methods. And everyone has a different take on each of them. But those are like dime a dozen. it is you and your opinion that is going to matter in the end. I started with foam.....correction, foamboard......then I switched to EVA foam. Now I'm trying my hand in 3D printing and a full Pep build...... Ill let you know after I've finished.

k1lroy

Those are really good questions k1lroy. Let me answer the 2nd one first.

Its not the method. Its the time and effort one puts in. I've seen foam builds that look just as good as a printed one and pepakura is just another method. One is not any better that the other since again it how much time you put into each piece will determine the quality of the end result. Its also what you feel most comfortable with using. People with limited space find that doing the pepakura method is not possible due to the harmful vapors the resin gives off. And printing out an entire suit can be expensive. And some people find foam too forgiving and has a short life span.

Now as to your 1st question, there are many pros and cons for each of these methods. And everyone has a different take on each of them. But those are like dime a dozen. it is you and your opinion that is going to matter in the end. I started with foam.....correction, foamboard......then I switched to EVA foam. Now I'm trying my hand in 3D printing and a full Pep build...... Ill let you know after I've finished.
I'm definitely interested in the pep build since it's what I already have some experience with. I'm also interested in therma plastic builds, but not sure if that falls under pep or not.

Someday I'll do EVA foam, but I think I'll save that for some giant mech suit from Warhammer or something. For Halo I prefer it to ridged and last a long time.

How do the 3d printed builds hold up?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons: