Introduce Yourself

Yeah, at least go once . Hopefully as a 405.
I’ve been going to conventions and cosplaying since 2014 but have never done anything Halo until this year, NYCC and San Diego Comic Con have been on the top of my list to visit but I’ve never been able to do either. NYCC should definitely happen next year though!

I’ve been going to conventions and cosplaying since 2014 but have never done anything Halo until this year, NYCC and San Diego Comic Con have been on the top of my list to visit but I’ve never been able to do either. NYCC should definitely happen next year though!
Wow!! HALO cosplay is new to me as well. I normally did starwars at the cons. I look forward to going to NYCC as a Spartan this October

Wow!! HALO cosplay is new to me as well. I normally did starwars at the cons. I look forward to going to NYCC as a Spartan this October
I’ve always wanted to make Halo costumes but wanted to do it right, and now that I have some 3d printers and some painting skills I’m diving into the deep end lol

3d Printing is super fun!!! I have 3 printers almost running all the time. Working on a storm trooper for a friend as we speak.
I have 2 Ender 3’s working full time on my EOD Spartan. I love them so much, I’ve done The Mandalorian, Captain Rex, and made Bo Katan for my girlfriend so they’ve been busy for the past couple of years lol

Howdy, I'm new to the 405 but have been a Halo fan since Halo 1. I build a full suit of armor years and years ago out of foam board using what I now know is called the prepika method, but doing it with purely magazine and bungie weekly update screen shots of halo 2 armor (and using no resin to make it durable). I even had the helmet lights. If I can find some old photos I'll scan them in and share them.

I just went to my first con and was inspired to cosplay again, and of course you know I gotta represent Halo.

------
My question to the community, which I did not see in the tutorial list. What are the pros and cons of each method? Paprika method, vs eva foam, vs thermoplastic, vs 3d print, vs resin casting)?

Can the paprika method look just as nice as other methods, or will it always look a bit janky/pixilated with the individual cut outs?

Howdy, I'm new to the 405 but have been a Halo fan since Halo 1. I build a full suit of armor years and years ago out of foam board using what I now know is called the prepika method, but doing it with purely magazine and bungie weekly update screen shots of halo 2 armor (and using no resin to make it durable). I even had the helmet lights. If I can find some old photos I'll scan them in and share them.

I just went to my first con and was inspired to cosplay again, and of course you know I gotta represent Halo.

------
My question to the community, which I did not see in the tutorial list. What are the pros and cons of each method? Paprika method, vs eva foam, vs thermoplastic, vs 3d print, vs resin casting)?

Can the paprika method look just as nice as other methods, or will it always look a bit janky/pixilated with the individual cut outs?
Welcome back to the world of Halo costuming! Our lovely lad Duke put together a pretty great guide on the difference in materials. Pepakura still holds up today and is used by quite a few people however so if you're most comfortable with that, you can still very well stick with it.

Those are really good questions k1lroy. Let me answer the 2nd one first.

Its not the method. Its the time and effort one puts in. I've seen foam builds that look just as good as a printed one and pepakura is just another method. One is not any better that the other since again it how much time you put into each piece will determine the quality of the end result. Its also what you feel most comfortable with using. People with limited space find that doing the pepakura method is not possible due to the harmful vapors the resin gives off. And printing out an entire suit can be expensive. And some people find foam too forgiving and has a short life span.

Now as to your 1st question, there are many pros and cons for each of these methods. And everyone has a different take on each of them. But those are like dime a dozen. it is you and your opinion that is going to matter in the end. I started with foam.....correction, foamboard......then I switched to EVA foam. Now I'm trying my hand in 3D printing and a full Pep build...... Ill let you know after I've finished.

Those are really good questions k1lroy. Let me answer the 2nd one first.

Its not the method. Its the time and effort one puts in. I've seen foam builds that look just as good as a printed one and pepakura is just another method. One is not any better that the other since again it how much time you put into each piece will determine the quality of the end result. Its also what you feel most comfortable with using. People with limited space find that doing the pepakura method is not possible due to the harmful vapors the resin gives off. And printing out an entire suit can be expensive. And some people find foam too forgiving and has a short life span.

Now as to your 1st question, there are many pros and cons for each of these methods. And everyone has a different take on each of them. But those are like dime a dozen. it is you and your opinion that is going to matter in the end. I started with foam.....correction, foamboard......then I switched to EVA foam. Now I'm trying my hand in 3D printing and a full Pep build...... Ill let you know after I've finished.
I'm definitely interested in the pep build since it's what I already have some experience with. I'm also interested in therma plastic builds, but not sure if that falls under pep or not.

Someday I'll do EVA foam, but I think I'll save that for some giant mech suit from Warhammer or something. For Halo I prefer it to ridged and last a long time.

How do the 3d printed builds hold up?

Hey all! I've been lurking around for a bit, made an account a while back and finally decided to start posting recently as I start learning to make costume parts and props! I'm in MD so I'm pretty sure this is the right place to introduce myself, are there many folks in this area still active? I've frankly been chatting more on the discord channel but I wasn't sure if that "counted" towards me being active! Anywho I'd love to chat with anyone, I've been learning so much and I'm excited to start trying to do things instead of just read about them :)

Nickname: Carbon / Aura
About me: I've been stalking the 405th forums since around 2018, along with other cosplay armor makers, resources, and such. I recently had a job over the summer that had me doing unique work that is basically adult arts and crafts. I used a lot of different materials from wood, metal, foams, and polymers to make realistic fake trees. I feel that I am at a good level where I might be able to afford some of the things I desire to get started on making my own suits and weapons, and I have attained a desired skill level that I should be able to clean the armor to an extent. I am mainly interested in getting a 3D printer I could use at my dorm for precise projects during school, and hopefully for making armor and weapon props. Halo is a genre I grew up on with the Anniversary CE exposing me to a genre that I'd love the story and other media from. I loved a lot of the books like Ghosts of Onyx, Glasslands, and New Blood, (Uh oh, now I wanna make SPI armor and an ODST outfit). I haven't made anything prop related, but I'm adept with CAD programs, so I hope to be able to 3D what I want to. I'll be looking to the community for help all along the way, knowing me, because I don't expect much of this to be easy. I hope to get to know you all

Nickname: Carbon / Aura
About me: I've been stalking the 405th forums since around 2018, along with other cosplay armor makers, resources, and such. I recently had a job over the summer that had me doing unique work that is basically adult arts and crafts. I used a lot of different materials from wood, metal, foams, and polymers to make realistic fake trees. I feel that I am at a good level where I might be able to afford some of the things I desire to get started on making my own suits and weapons, and I have attained a desired skill level that I should be able to clean the armor to an extent. I am mainly interested in getting a 3D printer I could use at my dorm for precise projects during school, and hopefully for making armor and weapon props. Halo is a genre I grew up on with the Anniversary CE exposing me to a genre that I'd love the story and other media from. I loved a lot of the books like Ghosts of Onyx, Glasslands, and New Blood, (Uh oh, now I wanna make SPI armor and an ODST outfit). I haven't made anything prop related, but I'm adept with CAD programs, so I hope to be able to 3D what I want to. I'll be looking to the community for help all along the way, knowing me, because I don't expect much of this to be easy. I hope to get to know you all
Well First Welcome to the 405th. It sounds like you have made the leap into this armor making world. it can be challenging at times but just reach out we are always here to help. have fun and be sure to make a post on what you build i for sure will be watching for it.

Hey all! I've been lurking around for a bit, made an account a while back and finally decided to start posting recently as I start learning to make costume parts and props! I'm in MD so I'm pretty sure this is the right place to introduce myself, are there many folks in this area still active? I've frankly been chatting more on the discord channel but I wasn't sure if that "counted" towards me being active! Anywho I'd love to chat with anyone, I've been learning so much and I'm excited to start trying to do things instead of just read about them :)
Welcome, I just realized no one replied. Colonial is active, we're still trying to recover from covid in many ways. Have you spoken with our membership officer Harri51
? Hope to troop with you soon.

Welcome, I just realized no one replied. Colonial is active, we're still trying to recover from covid in many ways. Have you spoken with our membership officer Harri51
? Hope to troop with you soon.
Hey! No worries. I haven't spoken to Harri51 but I will surely do so. I understand completely, it's been a wild couple years for me as well! I'm juuuust about to start work on my first build so I know I have a long way to go but I'm already learning a LOT from reading other build logs and getting inspiration. Lots of video tutorials too, especially on the painting which I'm honestly the most nervous about.

Name: Travis
Call Tag: Von Fury
About ME: Disabled Combat Veteran. Full time dad to the coolest daughter ever. Been a fan of halo since day one but always favored the ODST over Spartans for some reason. My hobbies are post apocalyptic festivals and making props/costumes. Been in the haunted attraction industry for 13 years. Really looking forward to joining the ranks!!

FEET FIRST INTO HELL!!!!

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back