Iron Man build for my 4 year old (Foam) (Photo Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk77

Ok, so I started a thread with a general question (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36800-IM-MKIVArmor-for-my-son-General-Question) but I didn't think anyone would look at it so I created a build thread. So I'm quoting myself from the other thread to give thanks.

"I want to give thanks to all who have contributed to this fine, fun and exciting craft of pepakura and thanks to all who have taken the time to design, unfold and share their files without asking for compensation, only a shout out!!!! You guys are awesome.

Special thanks to robo3867 for his pep to foam mods.

I started a pepakura IM helmet about two years ago and still have yet to complete it. I logged back into the 405th a few weeks back and saw all the foam builds going on and loved the idea of doing an armor in 1/8 of the time. This is my first foam build

Materials. Puzzle mats for kids that I got from Wal-greens. 9 pieces 1x1 square for $5.99, bought 2 packages. So far I've used 1-1/2 squares. The 1/2" foam was going to be to big for this build so I went with the kiddie squares because they are just 1/4" thick. Only bad part is, the foam has different design on each of the colors so you may see some funky shapes as the build goes. You can kinda see them in the forearm. I have to figure out how to fill those gaps, I would love to hear some ideas on that. Found some 8-1/2x11" 1/8" foam today that I will probably use for the helmet with some re-enforcement where needed.

Ok, so the build begins. I started with the left forearm to see if my scaling was going to work out ok. It looks like it did.

Next I went with the chest.....because the chest is the coolest part next to the helmet. So far so good I think. The back is next and then the bicep. I'm not really sure on how to scale the back so I'm just taking a guess at it. When I get done with this update I'll search the forums for a bit.

This is a really fun build and I don't know how hard it's going to be due to the small size of the build but I think it will be ok. So far I have about 3-4 hours in the two pieces.

So you know the size (my hand, his forearm piece)
IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

Hope you like

The Back

Thanks for those who will follow this thread.
So I finally got around to working on the boys build again. This time I did the back. It came out well but I won't be able to use (I think). Scale is pretty off. See the last picture to let me know if you all agree with how I'm going to correct this on the next one.

Here is the completed Back (not painted)
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Here you can see how small this build is. Here is my hand over the chest, I wear medium to large gloves so my hands are not overly large
Chest
IMG_0711.jpg

Back
IMG_0712.jpg

So here is the lower chest tab compared to the lower back tab. My theory is that the back tab should be the same size as the chest tab. So I will do some practice scaling on printer paper and cut that out to see if I can get the scale to match the chest. I
If anyone has a better Idea, I hope you tell me quick because I getting ready to start it in about 2 hours. Hope you all are enjoying the build.
IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

This is awesome. I am waiting for my boy to be big enough to make him a suit too :)

lmaowe got reversed rolls. im making a 2 ft tall 5 ft long pelican for my dad. hes a huge halo fan and loves models so the best of both worlds. and i know hes going to string it up in the videogame room next the entrprise.

as for your armor, im sure their suppose to be the same height. but as is with any custom build, its just that, custom. everyone has different body types. so trial and error is what your going to have to do.

Well, the last one I scaled at 210mm and now I bumped it up to 275mm so time will tell. I'll probably have it finished by morning and hopefull not frustrated. I finished the one above about 2:30am this morning. I probably have about 5 hours in the first one. Second one should go a little faster since I know what goes where.

Ok, so after a few weeks of not doing anything I got back to work tonight. I did have to trash the first back because it was to small so I built another one. Not as clean as I would have liked but I think it turned out ok. It's 1:46am here in Texas so we will have to wait to see what it looks like on the boy till morning.

The old back and modified chest (Just the purple area)
IMG_0739.jpg

The new back and modified chest (Just the purple area)
IMG_0740.jpg

Buckling System
IMG_0741.jpg

The rest are just pics, I am going to have to modify the outer edges of the shoulders a little bit......or maybe the bells(shoulders) will cover that.
IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

HOT GLUE IS AWESOME AND SO IS FOAM!!!!
Thanks to all who figured out what to do before I started this.

A small vid

Here is a quick vid of my son wearing it.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UfW6bhJqhds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or this link

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back