Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that is the same foam I have used for all my builds and compared to UK prices that is a sweet deal. I wish my mats where that cheap.

Yeah that is the same foam I have used for all my builds and compared to UK prices that is a sweet deal. I wish my mats where that cheap.

Sweet, thank you! Perhaps... 2 quantities? (8Sheets?) Oh, and can a blow drier heat seal foam? I'm also going to be using it to help conform certain pieces :v

I have used 6 mats so far for this build so far so get 8 for now and if you start to run low you can always order more. The only reason I order 16 this time is because I have 3 other suits planned (for now :)) so I know the extra will be used.

I have used 6 mats so far for this build so far so get 8 for now and if you start to run low you can always order more. The only reason I order 16 this time is because I have 3 other suits planned (for now :)) so I know the extra will be used.
Okay!
1. Can my hair drier heat seal the foam mats?
2. When should I heat seal the foam?
3. Do I spray the plasti dip and primer inside the pieces too?

1. I have not tried a hair drier as I bought a heat gun before I even cut a piece of foam. My heat gun gets to 650 degrees so I can get the foam nice and hot for shaping. I doubt a hair drier would be very good but like I said, never tried one.

2. I am not really sure why I see alot of people saying they heat seal their foam. I have pieces that have never had any heat treatment and 1 coat of plastidip has been enough before my primer.

3. I haven't bothered painting the inside of my armour unless I know the interior will be seen. 95% of the time there's no need. When I prime my pieces I do let the spray stray inside but your foam is grey so you shouldn't need to. I used red primer on this build so was careless on purpose just to make sure no blue is showing.

Hmm, alright, well it won't be until another hour or so for when I go to get my stuff.
Do you recommend doing the torso and back area first?

Thanks so much, man!

I would start with the most basic shaped pieces to get a good feel of the foam. Not sure which parts of your build are the easiest/most complicated but start simple then when you have more experience go for the harder parts. Armour parts that require rounded/multidirectional curves are tricky when you first start but check the link below for a good way to do them.

XRobots - How to modify pepakura templates for foam, includes my Iron Man costume suit - YouTube

In my opinion the arm pieces are a good starting point because if they are a little rough then it's not so important. The chest, back and (if you are going to try it) helmet are much more predominant parts and you want those to look their best.

Hope this helps and any other questions feel free to ask as I love teaching people how to achieve their goals in life no matter what it is :)
Tom.

I am afraid you will have to read other threads on that as not quite sure but here is a starting point. This how I did my visor.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35911-MK-VI-Foam-Build/page3

Instead of a gold insert use a purple one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shades-Moto...K_Helmets_Headwear_Visors&hash=item27cb195806

There are people that paint there's but you lose a bit of visibility. Some pay for a motorcycle visor not an insert like I did but the visors where too expensive here in the UK so just made my own :)

If I get an insert, will I still need an actual motorcycle visor too? Or can I just use an insert?

I also wonder if its possible to engrave the Master Chief's visor pattern in to it..

Save me typing it all again, if you read through my Masterchief suit build it says how i made the visor and got the pattern on too. Plus if we are going to talk Halo suits we should jump to that thread really.

Here is my detailing pics http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35911-MK-VI-Foam-Build/page6

Edit: also if you do try to make your visor from PVC like I did go for 2-3mm PVC it will look better but you may risk it cracking, maybe, I wish I had gone for 2-3mm as the 5mm looks too thick.

Also your first assignment is to look through threads. Scan for pics of people inserting their visors then read the posts around the pics to see what they used or how they did it. Thats how I have worked out how to make my suits. There is no need to read every post on a thread but if you want to know how to do something then your bound to find info close to their pics.

My best piece of advice on how to make your suit the best it can be is read, read and read some more. When making my MC suit I think the only question I had to ask when I got stuck was what the gloves are that people use for the suits. I am in no way saying don't ask questions but most of the time the answers are out there.

Hope this helps a little. Will cya on my MC thread :)
Tom.

Small update.

Got my arc reactor done today. I based it on the Avengers movie when he is fighting Thor. There are a few frames where you get to see something other than just frosted glass lit up. I will be adding more LEDs in there too cause I want to whiten it up a bit more.

23095CA9-5EEB-4CBB-B18D-B47B50954301-393-000000184AC4CC2C.jpg

Oooh! look at the pretty light's....Must resist the light;)

Looks Awesome Drack. Love the detail/pattern that when into them, Very nice touch. :cool

Sorry was working when you txt this to me. Got to say now
I've had a proper look at it, it's looking damn good!
Nice work bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back