Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the comments guys :) Thank you for the Gif Toja its a sweet piece of mechanics.

Today I started on my helmet so here is my progress (done from pepakura files not my own design).

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

how did you get al the pieces in shape like that did u just only used a heat feun or did you ad somthing to keep it in shape
oh ja almost forgot can u tel me witch pep file your using im trying to make it as good looking as yours :D

(sry for my english)

how did you get al the pieces in shape like that did u just only used a heat feun or did you ad somthing to keep it in shape

Hey smokie. English is fine :) I just use a heat gun that's it. Some of the more rounded pieces need a couple of tries to get the right shape to hold though.

To find the pep file go to www.4shared.com and in search type "iron man foam pdo". That should find it, if not just try "iron man pdo". If you want to find any pep files then this how you find them, type the name of what you want followed by pdo.

AHHHHH. You are fiddling my heartstrings here. I love Iron Man! I wish this suit was used more in the movie. Do you have a goal of when you're going to finish it?

I made an Iron Man MK III for my brother for last year's Halloween out of foam sheeting. Good sir, I envy you! This is absolutely astonishing! I have not seen anyone else put THIS MUCH time and effort into this particular suit as you have! I cant wait to see it finished! Oh! And congrats on the baby! :D

how...how have i not seen this before? i love the foam work on the MC build you are doing, the work on this is just plain amazing, like it looks realllllyy good. like damn.

New to this thread as well. Great job, drack!

A tip to your visible brush stroke woes: you can use a small paint roller to apply the PVA glue. (or paint for that matter) It'll spread evenly. At the very most, you'll get an even bumpy surface. But, it'll be better than that recognizable cross-hatched stroking from the paint brushes.

Thank you for the advice but if you find some ones thread by means other than it popping up on the home page I would check the date of my last comment as this thread has been inactive for quite some time. I last worked on the suit in January so since then I have become very accustomed to suit building now :). The iron man helmet was the first thing I had ever made so was a noob learning then. Now I wouldn't dream of using PVA :p

Darn thats great looking work! But i have a question, what kind of paint do you and other ppl that make foam builds use? Because when i paint my foam stuff the paint always cracks and so on then it gets bendt after the painting setts. Is the trick thin layers of paint or how do you do it? :)

Darn thats great looking work! But i have a question, what kind of paint do you and other ppl that make foam builds use? Because when i paint my foam stuff the paint always cracks and so on then it gets bendt after the painting setts. Is the trick thin layers of paint or how do you do it? :)

I first undercoat with plasti dip, 2 coats of primer then used 2-3 coats of normal car spray paint and a coat of lacquer. For my halo suit I did the same but hand panted it with green acrylic paint instead of spray.

I first undercoat with plasti dip, 2 coats of primer then used 2-3 coats of normal car spray paint and a coat of lacquer. For my halo suit I did the same but hand panted it with green acrylic paint instead of spray.

So with just 1 layer of plasti dip under the paint it should keep the paint from cracking when you bend or bump the foam parts? I really cant se that since the paint goes ontop of the plasti dip, and therefore should set and harden ontop of it, and then the cracks would appear anyway....but i really dont know how the plasti dip works either. Also its a jungle of plasti dip products out there, what kind do you use? sry for the many questions :p hehe, but i will try to make my next costume in foam i think, therefore all the research :)

The plasti dip doesn't stop the paint from cracking its just the best thing to use as a base for the paints to sit on. I am no paint expert so not sure which are the best to use to avoid cracking I have just been lucky I guess. The reason I undercoat with plasti dip is because it sticks incredibly well to the foam. It dries nice and smooth and protects the foam from spray paint that might eat through it. I bought a can white of plastidip cause in the UK it's expensive and the spray is stupid costly. Sorry cant be much more help. I would say try to avoid paints that harden to a tough plastic and try to find a paint range that dries flexible.

:O i forgot primer between my plasti dip and paint when I did me helmet, seems to have worked out ok though....

note to self, buy primer!

Quoting this one so that you can use it as a visual ref...

had a lunati idea because I wanna make this suit as well (finding the peps would be awesome!)

when you assemble all the individual parts, to mimic the skin tight, constantly shifting feel of the armor plates, have you considered linking all the pieces together with elastic? It'd aid in getting into and out of the suit without any ugly clips or such and it would help in mobility, especially with how many individual parts you've got. Just make a body rig, like what RoxyRoo does when she's sizing her armor, out of elastic and then just attach the parts to the rig where they belong on the suit...and voila you have a foam iron man bdsm suit :p

Hey Captain Califlour. No I will be attaching it to the skin tight body suit that I already have. Then there will be no need for trying to mess about with what would be a massive amount of complex strapping. I knew exactly how I was going to make this suit before I started it but am not overly bothered about it now as I am not working on this build and haven't for a few months now. Some one necro posted on this thread and it seems to have become active again :p

Oh, I'm sorry for contributing to the necro then...it's a shame you've paused this project, it's of great interest to me. I'm particularly impressed with the level of detail you get and your accuracy from hand drawn designs.
I brought up the elastic point because I've been experimenting with my own suits, particularly parts which are too skin tight to just slide on and still remain screen accurate. I do like your bodysuit idea what kind are you using?

It's cool dude. I could have just not commented so if anything I continued the necro :)
I will be finishing this suit it's just I made a Masterchief helmet while getting over burning a hole in the ironman helmet and didn't stop. I am getting close to finishing the MC suit then will get back to this build. I should have done them the other way around really so ironman was ready for Avengers release and then Masterchief for Halo4 release. Basically I have a skin tight suit that I will attach every separate piece too. Ten as I move the suit moves with me. I will have the chest cut open so I can get my head through the neck. Before I do attach the pieces I will be painting the exoskeleton on the suit so that it shows through between the armour pieces. To make a rig for for this suit would be really crazy complex because I will be making all the pieces separate.

Might be a couple of months before I get back to this build but it's not forgotten. All I have on my Masterchief left to do is one boot,, the undersuit, few more lights and the voice chaqnger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back