Ironman Motorised Faceplate Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of back story first, way back about 9 months ago I started my first pep project. It was an Ironman helmet. And a really bad one at that lol. Not that the pepping was bad, it was just the dodgyest file I had ever seen, I got it off some asian website (Not trying to be racist).

Anyways, so I started again with Sharkhead's first file and peped it well, but then it was majorly warped when I fiiberglassed it, so that got the bin also.

Then I did Dungbeetle's original helmet an I made it way too small .

So, after all that I peped a properly scaled Ironman helmet made with Dungbeetle's original Ironman Helmet file and that is the one I am working on now. At this stage I am putting the finishing touches on the Bondo stage and have started to think about the electronics. (BTW, I would post some pictures, but I don't really like to post my stuff until it is completed)

I was searching around the internet for ideas and to see what other people had done, but unfortunately a lot of the information had huge holes in it. But then I thought, "Hey, why don't I use solenoids? They are way smaller than a servo so they will fit in a helmet way better". For those who don't know what a solenoid is, just google it, it will come up with lots of info.

So here is my question, how would I go about using solenoids? Would it just be a simple circuit like this:

-Battery+
| |
| Switch
| |
Solenoid

Or would it be more complex like with a micro controller or 555 timer?

Also, I don't really feel like experimenting too much and buying lots of things because I am unemployed at the moment. The next 2 weeks are school holidays though so when I buy this stuff with my entire bank account ($40), I will be handing out about 14 resumes.

Any help with this would be great because I plan to write a full tutorial on installing the Ironman helmet electronics just to make it easier for everyone seeing as no one else has really revealed too much about they make theirs.

Sam

Hmm.. You mean like moving the faceplate up like in the movies? Ive Seen a video on youtube of a guy who did it. I forgot where it is.

There's a guy named anthonyle on youtube. He's made alot of Iron Man stuff like a full suit with a motorized faceplate. He has a couple videos about it. He also made a Warmachine suit with motorized weapons. If you ever make a perfect motorized faceplate, please share the idea. It will be a big help. Thanks.

All you guys forget I did and share all the info, I also did a pep file for dungs helmet to apply my system on his one. The only info I never released was the voice control, that´s top secret right now for a while :p

I post the info here on 405th, also I did in RPF and SIWDAT.

Problem with solenoid it´s probably they aren´t strong enough, if you can place a solenoid inside (enough room) maybe you can store servos to do the job and control easily with an arduino board (also you will manage leds for fx )

http://www.youtube.com/user/zabana

Good luck :D!!!

Thanks for that zabana. Can I ask a question though, when the string pulls the faceplate up, what pulls it back down? Is it just gravity?

i dont believe its a string... but bike cable which can push and pull ( to an extent) which would assist in the helmet action

i dont believe its a string... but bike cable which can push and pull ( to an extent) which would assist in the helmet action

No, isn´t bike cable, Samuel was right, it´s fishing steel string, looks like this one http://www.decathlon.es/products-pictures/gd-asset_11976477.jpg

Thanks for that zabana. Can I ask a question though, when the string pulls the faceplate up, what pulls it back down? Is it just gravity?

Yes, your right again it´s just gravity what pull it down when servo isn´t working it´s "like a pulley". Only one thing to point, I needed to use wires because inside my helmet wasn´t enough room to place servos, if you could it would be better. After that I improve my design to use better servos strenght, in this way servos works better and with final curve whe face is up the "arm" it´s hyded

I really do like your idea zabana, but the only thing I am worried about is the helmet coming back down and not sitting flush against the helmet. I really don't want to have to touch the faceplate every time it comes down. Also, what did you make your hinges out of? I have a large sheet of 3mm perspex that I think I might use for the hinge

I really do like your idea zabana, but the only thing I am worried about is the helmet coming back down and not sitting flush against the helmet. I really don't want to have to touch the faceplate every time it comes down. Also, what did you make your hinges out of? I have a large sheet of 3mm perspex that I think I might use for the hinge

I don´t understand what do you mean o_O, in my helmet when the servo lifts up the faceplate works fine, and when the servo stops and return to the initial position the faceplate come down by gravity and I don´t need to touch it at all, you only need to check hinge is not blocked never so it can go down easily.

I don´t know what´s perspex but If is made from plastic should work. This is what I used:

http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=...x-a&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:$fficial&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=...x-a&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:$fficial&tbs=isch:1

Ahh, okay. So the faceplate is heavy enough to make it come back down properly, Sweet. Also, do you have any ideas for an articulating jaw? I had two ideas. The first one it by modifying the hinge like this:

newdesignwithjaw.jpg

The second is by adding another string to each servo like this:

servosetup.jpg

So when the servo turns to the right it will pull the faceplate string and lift the faceplate up. It will also let the jaw string go down a bit making the jaw drop a little.
Then when it turns back to the left it will let the faceplate string down and make the faceplate fall and lift the jaw back up into place.

So which one do you think will be better? I personally thing the second option will be best because i'm not sure if the servo will have enough lifting power.

It depends where you´re going to place the servo, if you can place inside then the best is to activate a cross "+" by the servo, when the servo pull over the lower arm the upper will push the jaw and the left arm will lift up the faceplate, and when the servo push the lower arm the upper will pull the jaw in to place and the left one will lift down the faceplate. This is the system I´m planning to use, and good new is that can be adapted to a servo inside or outside the helmet. Of couse the arms need to have different lenght depending on what you want to move, and the larger you do the servo´s attached arm the less torque you´ll need (you know physics how it is :p)

Anyway right know I´m using 2 servos with 10kg torque each one, are a little big, but I want to place them in ears place... But firstly I need to finish my newer helmet design to build in pepakura :p

Awesome. Thanks for all your help man. If you're interested, I have found a servo controller on the internet that I plan on using:

servo-driver-schematic.gif

When the momentary switch is pressed it makes the servo travel to the point defined by where the preset resistors are set to

I build one firstly, but moves on arduino, only a few lines and I´ll tell the servo to moves where I want it to be ;)

I´ve got arduino mega, 16MHz and 4 hw serial, it´s the "powerfull" one. I use this one instead a smaller one because I´m planning to manage all the suit with it so I will place in chest or back, there is enough room to allow... If you only want to do the helmet or place inside I´ll suggest you the arduino pro mini board, 16Mhz too and as many inputs/outputs to do the work. In siwdat user Honus use and it looks cool.
But anyway it depends on what you want to do, I bought this one because probably "when finish" the armor will turn into homemade robots :p

http://siwdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=314&start=10

No problem dude ;) I´m a member not only to watch,I´m here also to help and sometimes to be helped :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back