Is It Too Bad?

ODST Weta helmet

• Scrap it now and save yourself some effort.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Continue and see how it comes out then scrap if needed.

• Continue entirely i think it will be fine.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuwdburgaler

The reason i'm having this poll is because i feel that my helmet is in bad condition, i probably should have put more work into my pep, ive gotten much better with the pep(im OCD btw you may notice that i edit my posts alot for grammer well i dont think i did a very good job the first time around and only got the top part done and i fear it will create problems in the long run but im not sure i'm just now really picking up with this so im leaving it to you guys heres the pic of what it looks like(and yes i know the kneecap's in there also)
OdstProgress.jpg

What do you mean "bad condition"? It looks fine to me. It's not going to look completely right until you get closer and closer to finishing it. When I did my first helmet (Mk V), it looked like it was going to come out flat, but it ended up looking exactly like it was supposed to.

Keep going, it'll turn out alright. ;)

hold on lemme steal my sisters camera and ill upload a few pics of what i mean i was to lazy to take a pic specifically for this

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
What do you mean "bad condition"? It looks fine to me. It's not going to look completely right until you get closer and closer to finishing it. When I did my first helmet (Mk V), it looked like it was going to come out flat, but it ended up looking exactly like it was supposed to.

Keep going, it'll turn out alright. ;)
amen, your stuff will go through changes with layers of fiber glass, and thats why god created bondo, continue on forwards

Last edited by a moderator:
Spawn Camp3r said:
knee looks fine and helmet is too early to tell
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? THATS NOT MY KNEE :eek: jk ty i did it twice because the first one was absolutely terrible, oh and as promised, and i know i promised a pic or two but maybe you guys will spare me and accept a video lol

well upon further inspection, it is kinda funky but that particular area will have to be bondo'ed and sanded anyway for smoothness, you could just keep going if later parts come out better.

on a second note, what glue are you using it looks like the paper is soggy

Spawn Camp3r said:
well upon further inspection, it is kinda funky but that particular area will have to be bondo'ed and sanded anyway for smoothness, you could just keep going if later parts come out better.
well its getting awkward to fit parts in and i just dont know at this point thats why im asking, im afraid as i get around to the side it wont fit right at all, but on the other hand i dont want to go back and recut the pieces ive done its such tedious work
Spawn Camp3r said:
on a second note, what glue are you using it looks like the paper is soggy
elmers and what im doing is using a paint brush to insure i dont use to much, but in some spots i had to reglue and i still barely used any and it acts all weird so i dunno, but it worked fine on the kneecap so im sorta stumped o_O

Soggy, like warped?
Because I noticed the first time I used elmers that if you're not paying attention and its a big piece being glued- you can press the tabs too hard waiting for it to dry and it will warp that way. =\
The piece on the right looks perfect. I watched the video though and it looks like something that will definitely be fine after resin/bondo.

Hot glue is definitely the way to go. It dries really fast, and grips the paper well. I highly recommend it, I just started peping, and the hot glue is a godsend.

timonemycat said:
Hot glue is definitely the way to go. It dries really fast, and grips the paper well. I highly recommend it, I just started peping, and the hot glue is a godsend.
what heat of hot glue do you use because hot glue is famous for glueing thick to where its visable, i imagine its strength is unparrallelled alongside its speed but how well does it come out in quality?

Now I see what you mean, but it's still okay. You'll only use the pep piece as a guide anyhow. I know it sounds strange, making a guide from a guide, but what I mean is that once you resin, fiberglass, and Bondo, the paper itself is pretty much gone. Any part that is still funky can easily be fixed when it comes to the Bondo'in' stage.

Again, just like I said earlier, keep going, you'll be fine. :p

Also, hot glue is what I've used for all my creations thus far. I know I don't have any finished products to prove it, but I plan to start again soon anyhow. :p

Hot glue holds really well, but it burns really badly. If you decide to use it, don't be like me and use your bare fingers to wipe excess glue off while it's still hot (even though I'm used to the burning now, it hardly bothers me anymore). :p

There are a few "pros" around here that prefer Elmer's glue, though, find them and ask them how they get it to work for them, because I've forgotten which ones they are.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Now I see what you mean, but it's still okay. You'll only use the pep piece as a guide anyhow. I know it sounds strange, making a guide from a guide, but what I mean is that once you resin, fiberglass, and Bondo, the paper itself is pretty much gone. Any part that is still funky can easily be fixed when it comes to the Bondo'in' stage.

Again, just like I said earlier, keep going, you'll be fine. :p

Also, hot glue is what I've used for all my creations thus far. I know I don't have any finished products to prove it, but I plan to start again soon anyhow. :p

Hot glue holds really well, but it burns really badly. If you decide to use it, don't be like me and use your bare fingers to wipe excess glue off while it's still hot (even though I'm used to the burning now, it hardly bothers me anymore). :p

There are a few "pros" around here that prefer Elmer's glue, though, find them and ask them how they get it to work for them, because I've forgotten which ones they are.
ok with a little work with an exacto knife i fixed a few spots and now i see whats happening, the second one to the outside on one side is slightly off causing them to get farther off with each step so im going to continue see how it comes out and post the results, so wish me luck

Tuwdburgaler said:
ok with a little work with an exacto knife i fixed a few spots and now i see whats happening, the second one to the outside on one side is slightly off causing them to get farther off with each step so im going to continue see how it comes out and post the results, so wish me luck
Good luck! :)

I have no trouble with the hot glue. As far as heat, my gun is just a cheap 2$ gun that I got at a crafts store a while back. I could be wrong, but I think most every glue gun will do the job. The only downside is that you have to work fast, and set the piece in the right place on the first try. It is suprisingly strong, it's holding my pep VI helm together fantasically so far.

im continuing with elmers ATM to see how it comes out, if it comes out horrible then im not sure which glue ill use next time hot glue sounds like something i'd do i hope i dont have to redo it though so well see

timonemycat said:
I have no trouble with the hot glue. As far as heat, my gun is just a cheap 2$ gun that I got at a crafts store a while back. I could be wrong, but I think most every glue gun will do the job. The only downside is that you have to work fast, and set the piece in the right place on the first try. It is suprisingly strong, it's holding my pep VI helm together fantasically so far.
That's the only real difference you get with different heats, work time. But, I'm not sure it's really enough of a difference that you'll be able to tell.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
That's the only real difference you get with different heats, work time. But, I'm not sure it's really enough of a difference that you'll be able to tell.
Well I've seen a few posts saying that hot glue is too thick and kinda leaves a gap at the tabs, are you able to spread it out thin before it dries?

PLAN YOUR WORKSTATION PROPERLY THERE NOT JOKING WHEN THEY SAY IT NEEDS TO BE A WELL VENTILATED AREA I JUST SPENT A BOTTLE OF MY SECRET GLUE REMOVER (ASTRINGENT) AND 15 MINUTES GETTING AND IT OFF MY DADS HANDS BECAUSE HE DIDNT BELIEVE ME THAT GLOVES WERE NECESSARY PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYTHING TURNED OUT OK ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS GET A SMALL TASTE OF HOW THE RESIN WOULD WORK, I GOT THE KNEECAP RESINED THOUGH, LOL WHERE DO I GET ONE OF THOSE COOL ARMOR STATUS SIGGYS?, OH FEEL FREE TO USE ANY PIC I EVER POST AS A REFERENCE IM ALWAYS HERE TO HELP
OdstProgress002.jpg

OdstProgress003.jpg

OdstProgress004.jpg

sharkhead7854 said:
Well I've seen a few posts saying that hot glue is too thick and kinda leaves a gap at the tabs, are you able to spread it out thin before it dries?
ive worked with hot glue in an instance like this before you can get it thin if its hot enough, if you try and plug it in then use it cold it will be really thick you have to let it get nice and hot, ooh we should invent something like that, thin hot glue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back