It Be Rainin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerguy55

So, I recently started work on a recon helmet. The outside was fiberglassed, and yesterday I put the cloth on the inside... I left it over-night to dry....

open windows + rain + wet fiberglass + paper = Fail

Water must, somehow, screw with the curing of the fiberglass. It's a semi-soggy, squishy mess of paper and fiberglass.

I'd like to save it if I can... but I'm afraid it's beyond repair. If anyone has any ideas about how to fix, please, help.

I'll take some pics if you think it will help you understand what happened.... but I doubt it will. Thanks for your help.

Yes weather will interfere with the curing of the resign all right.
Did rain on your helmet or did the moisture just get to it?

Im sorry to hear that. I really dont think you can save it though :(

is it completely soaked? My SR was left out in the rain curing for a few minutes but it was fine after i grabbed it and took it inside... it had mostly cured by then so I guess I was just lucky.

:( I had the helmet upside down, so the inside could dry.... kinda gives a new meaning to the term 'bucket' :mad:

It's not just moisture, it poured into my helmet. Part of the back is somewhat dry, the front is so squished though.. Maybe I could try to dry it out and then put more of the cloth/mat in. Hmm...

I'll have to find someway to support it. o_O

Anyway, I'll take some pics in a few minutes...

That sucks. And yes, I would like to see it too.

I personally fiberglass in our garage, then let it cure under a lamp in a room on our garage. I've also noticed that the lamp makes the smell go away as soon as it is cured. I wouldn't fiberglass if it were not nice and sunny if I didn't have my setup.

Helmet070.jpg

Helmet071.jpg

Helmet072.jpg

Helmet073.jpg

It's way too fubar for me to fix. I'm throwing it away. :(

This does indeed suck.
I'm very sorry for you loss.

On a lighter note - if I can I'd like to make a joke:
"U kan not haz rekawn"

leegrisham said:
This does indeed suck.
I'm very sorry for you loss.

On a lighter note - if I can I'd like to make a joke:
"U kan not haz rekawn"

lol, cheered us up alright

but yeah, beyond repair, its a shame to see your helmet go down to waste, i was keeping an eye on your armor progress :(, oh well, i guess you can just try again :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks dude :unsure:
Well, you're lucky it's only the first stage that costs money (fiberglass).
Btw, it doesn't look totally screwed up.. can't you just fix it with bondo 'n stuff?

Matthijs

Matthijs said:
That sucks dude :unsure:
Well, you're lucky it's only the first stage that costs money (fiberglass).
Btw, it doesn't look totally screwed up.. can't you just fix it with bondo 'n stuff?

Matthijs
He said that the resin was all soggy.

Well, that sucks. Will you be restarting?

This helmet has far passed the point of repair, even with bondo. It's like a big sticky ball of gooey paper. I threw it away. :'-(

"U kan not haz rekawn"

Not yet, anyway. ;)

Yes, that does mean I plan on starting over. The only reason I chose to do the recon helm was because I thought we had enough good looking MkVI helmets around here. I wanted to do something different. I'm gluing together my HD chest as I type this. So, as soon as it's assembled I'll take a break from the rest of my armor to rebuild my recon helm.

I have no one to blame but myself, I knew it was supposed to rain... 'famous last words "It'll be alright." Makes feel like someone who would win a Darwin award... "Hey, guys! Watch this!"

I was kind of anxious to get to use bondo, for the first time, today.... Oh, well.

Yeah, it's a bummer, but I'll get over it. ;) Thanks for the help.

Hey man it happened to me too. Check it out!!
P1000543.jpg

Also left my rogue and mVI in the rain too. Didn't do anything because they were fiber glassed and glazed. But i'm redoing them anyway!

ouch man the same thing happend to my sniper rifle while i was at work =.= dad saved most of it but the mag i know for sure is a throw away dont give up on it man! just means your next one will be better cause youll know how to put it together easier :p

I would also like to point out that dipping your Pepakura in a tub of acid will also destroy your work.

LOL

Live and learn buddy, that's the only way to live life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back