It's All In The Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to add to Asrai's picture sugesstion: I can't delete photos that I upload and it's really annoying. Everytime I try to delete somethign I get an Error message that says something like "You do not have permission to use this function" or somethign along those lines...

Unless I'm doin somethign wrong, I would like the deleting option open to me (and everyone else)

This topics seems to have been revived,but at least its somewhat productive...

I'm going to drop back towards the subforums topics.

Idea #1 -

Have a subforum specifically for organising events such as cons. Perhaps have a certain format for topic titles?

maybe like this:

[Con Name] (dates - location) Title

For example:

[Dragon*con '09] (9/4 - 9/7 Atlanta, GA) '09 Registry

Idea #2 -

Perhaps we shouldn't put sudforums per state because we are all spread out,but maybe per region?

You know like northeast,southeast....that kind of thing?

Well I have to say I support Flying_Squirl suggestion because now, threads in the noob forum gets more attention than anywhere else, and whatever you post in the Creation section, after 5 seconds, you are not on the main page and no more attention.

Also, tags like on the RPF which are For Sale, For Trade, For Auction, like prefix thingy :p

I have to bring into attention the noob forum again as well. We are having an insane amount of locked topics going on. The ones that aren't locked are repeat questions that have simply become too much of a hassle to take time and lock. The overall state of the noob forum is decreasing drastically as of late. They aren't paying any attention to the stickies, which directly fails in our efforts to have a Q&A Team because itself is listed in the stickies. They've been particularly rude and really don't care to listen. (I know, what else is new right? Just seems to be alot more frequent is all I'm saying.) I am in no way saying all of them, but a good majority.

I do have a possible solution however. It would be impossible to make them read through a big list of rules and regulations before joining and actually get them to pay attention, because apparently their attention span is like a ferret on crystal meth. Being a filmmaker, I do propose an instructional video, say divided into 4 or 5 sections, Forum Rules and Etiquette, Safety Gear, Different Methods of Armor Making, Padding & Strapping, and then a maybe a General section... just an example. Then in like a 5-10 minute run we could cover everything they really need to know, kinda of like a video version of "Armor Making for Dummies", all layman's terms and visually easy to understand. Here's the trick though, we embed the password they need to enter to finish registration in the video somewhere, we can easily change the code each month by a simple edit. That way there is no scrolling to the end and hitting enter. They actually have to watch, wait and listen for it.. wherever it may be inside which will also cause them to pay very close attention up until that point. If you make it interesting enough, they'll be sure to finish it as well.

Cheers,
Kensai

I like that idea. It beats a Powerpoint presentation. It would take some work. Getting Adam to approve it, putting it together, getting the scripts into the registration process, plus some things I've probably forgotten. This would (to me) be an almost foolproof way to drastically cut back on all the new threads that get locked in 10 minutes and the repeat questions. Great suggestion Kensai!

kensai111 said:
I have to bring into attention the noob forum again as well. We are having an insane amount of locked topics going on. The ones that aren't locked are repeat questions that have simply become too much of a hassle to take time and lock. The overall state of the noob forum is decreasing drastically as of late. They aren't paying any attention to the stickies, which directly fails in our efforts to have a Q&A Team because itself is listed in the stickies. They've been particularly rude and really don't care to listen. (I know, what else is new right? Just seems to be alot more frequent is all I'm saying.) I am in no way saying all of them, but a good majority.

I do have a possible solution however. It would be impossible to make them read through a big list of rules and regulations before joining and actually get them to pay attention, because apparently their attention span is like a ferret on crystal meth. Being a filmmaker, I do propose an instructional video, say divided into 4 or 5 sections, Forum Rules and Etiquette, Safety Gear, Different Methods of Armor Making, Padding & Strapping, and then a maybe a General section... just an example. Then in like a 5-10 minute run we could cover everything they really need to know, kinda of like a video version of "Armor Making for Dummies", all layman's terms and visually easy to understand. Here's the trick though, we embed the password they need to enter to finish registration in the video somewhere, we can easily change the code each month by a simple edit. That way there is no scrolling to the end and hitting enter. They actually have to watch, wait and listen for it.. wherever it may be inside which will also cause them to pay very close attention up until that point. If you make it interesting enough, they'll be sure to finish it as well.

Cheers,
Kensai
Ferrets on crystal meth? Deja vu. Except I used ADD Chihuahuas on speed. Yours is a bit funnier. Anyway, back on topic. I realized a while back that the stickies and all weren't working. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't gotten a single PM for the Q&A team, probably because my name is down the list a ways. I like the video idea. I still offer a caveat, though. Lurkers will lurk and noobs will be noobs. It is like trying to stop the tide. You can only hope to slow it down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to guide them in the right direction ASAP. Some have contacted me but most haven't. Ferrets on meth, hummingbirds on crack, ADD chihuahuas, it's all the same. The attention span of a gnat. Something has to work - we just need to figure out what.

tlither said:
I've been trying to guide them in the right direction ASAP. Some have contacted me but most haven't. Ferrets on meth, hummingbirds on crack, ADD chihuahuas, it's all the same. The attention span of a gnat. Something has to work - we just need to figure out what.
I like the shotgun approach. No, using a shotty is not what I was thinking [although...]. We try a bunch of methods and see what hits. It may end up that a combination of things will succeed. A streamlined sticky list, an indoc video, Q&A team, vigorous moderating, etc. We'll see.

Oh I agree, there is no sure-fire way of stopping it. I hope my idea does however slow it down some, especially with the password changing. I've received quite a few questions in the Q&A Team, maybe because I'm always pounding down the door of the noob forum trying to get them to use it but, really I get more questions from people that have been around here awhile then anyone just joining in, funnily enough ^^. I've been seeing topics that should have been stickied or atleast hung around a for a week or so get slammed deep into the depths of locked topics, repeat questions, and questions simply that didn't need to be asked in the first place such as "Should I shoot my armor with real bullets to simulate gunshots". I also think this mandatory safety course thing will come in handy should another halo kid tragedy befall us and everyone comes looking our way asking why was our safety procedures buried in just a specific section and not introduced right away or whatever crap they come up with.

Would we be able to make a video like this for cheap? No, not if you want it done professionally. The money would be made back however on wasted bandwidth of less topics or if something terrible occurred maybe prevent a lawsuit or worse. These are all theoretical mind you, but plausible.

Cheers,
Kensai

I agree. But for Q&A, I receive a lot of questions, around 2-3 questions everyday.

Some have very good questions, but I received questions like "What is Pep?", twice.

The Intro Video would be a great way to teach them our knowledge :)

Kensaii, UNSC_Leatherneck, Tracy, Last Spartan, and the rest of the Q&A Team members that lurk in this thread...

Remember that one message I sent to all of you? The one about greeting and grabbing the new comers' attention the moment they sign up here? Yeah, that IS actually helping the new member population.... everytime I send someone a "Welcome to the 405th" PM, I almost always get a responce back saying they understood what I was telling them and that by sending them that message I prevented them from opening up a "question thread" in the Noob Forum. Guys, it works!

I know Tracy and I do this whenever we can (I actually do a search for all new members since my last visit, almost daily). You just gotta keep in mind that some people actually need to be reached out to and told (privately) that you acknowledge their existance and are willing to assist them if need be.

I did tell you (Q&A Team Members), however, that it was up to you wether to do this or not. But do you see now how it can be of assistance? At least till a "Welcome Video" (good idea Kensai BTW) is produced? It really is up to us to stop the madness before it starts. And dont wait for them to make a mistake before you decide to offer your help, if you have the time, of course :]

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta hunt down more new comers....

EDIT: Since 7pm last night we have gotten, i think I counted, 15 or 16 new people........ reach out to them, Team.

I have an idea now...videos + FAQS = BINGO! I'll get a list of common questions from the noobs and others and then I'll make a short vid over each one. It'll help old and new members,but first I need a list of frequently asked questions.

unless thats what kensai just said? I skim read and I'm so tired I'm out of it, forgive me.

Is 2 weeks or so a necro? hope not. Anyways, I was thinking, you know how you restrict the classifieds to ppl with a certain post count? How about you restrict the noobs from accessing anything other than the noob forum stickies until they have passed a quiz which adds 1 post to their count.

I like that idea.

Also starting one of these could help us get organised into groups.

http://www.ning.com/

You can start your own networking site, it works kind of like myspace/facbook. Just thought I'd throw it out there for ya.

arknight said:
instead of members,staff,global moderators i wish people were givin rank on their armor :unsure:

Not everyone here likes to build armor, and are still very productive people. We've tried ranking systems, and they haven't done anything but promote spam. Post counts are due to be removed from view anyways, so there is no real "ranking system" that will be possible besides special titles for great achievements.

Eventually, people would complain about the ranking system, and then it would be removed. So, really, any ranking system won't last for very long.

Spartan857 said:
How about a kind of flash chat? A few forums I visit have one.

We used to have one, but it was closed down. Few people used it, and it was costing too much and wasting too much bandwidth.

i come on everyday and i have to search and look through a list of things based on what i searched to find who ever's project i want to see, it would be nice to have something like they do on ebay, watch this item, altho instead, watch this thread and add it to a list of them. under the list have the title of the thread and last 5 posts in reverse order, would make keeping up to date on people's work so much easier

SpartanIII-0324 said:
i come on everyday and i have to search and look through a list of things based on what i searched to find who ever's project i want to see, it would be nice to have something like they do on ebay, watch this item, altho instead, watch this thread and add it to a list of them. under the list have the title of the thread and last 5 posts in reverse order, would make keeping up to date on people's work so much easier

Add the address of the thread to your Favorites list. I'm not sure about other Browsers, but IE7 still has the Favorites feature, so you can save web addresses for later use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back