Its time for the medics to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "problem" is nonexistant. The lift lifts towards the user at an angle while it goes up. Not to mention the user probably wont be standing straight up as the person they are picking up is on the ground.

I hope you don't mean by kneeling. Even a mechanical body would wear down on the knee joints after progressive kneeling pick-ups of large objects. Perhaps another diagram showing the placement on the suit and the size would make it easier for others to understand?

caelest i know what you mean but we arnt trying to be realistic. we just want ideas to make a different kind of spartan, if we were 7 feet tall super beings then i would deal with realistic stuff

The relative size and effectiveness would not really vary. Even a small spartan III could most likely (not as easily however) carry a massive Spartan II

cool project! perhaps the spartan medical officer suit can be designed around Heinlein's command suit idea from the book Starship troopers, which was able to carry a smaller operator suit in the event it was heavily damaged. ironically that would make it much harder to extract an injured medic but hey its a start. perhaps the medical officer could have a detachable framework in the oversized backpack that creates a triangular tail like stretcher terminating in an all terrain wheel of some sort. that way the medic can still defend themselves and allow the suit to handle the burden without tipping them over (in the event they needed to ruck over an extended period of time). the patient can also cover the aft sector if they are conscious, and in the event the patient(s) is (are) marines or army troopers an additional piece can be added to haul multiple patients as they are lighter weight.

It also occurred to me that a Spartan medic would not only be required to mend human injuries but exoskeletal wounds as well, and perhaps even carry advanced programs to fix A.I. units should they become corrupted by emp or another advanced electromagnetic countermeasure or hack. their arsenal would need to include laser field surgery tools for people and plasma cutters and such for machines.

perhaps the concept could be expanded to include a flying wing of some sort, that way it could bring the medic to the injured very quickly, detach from the Spartan and fly around providing air support such as surveillance and cover fire, then reattach to the medic when they are ready to exfill from the battlefield. will come up with some schematics, food for thought for now though.

@ Toacrabman, your quote is epic; do you mind if i script it on our platoons mural wall when we get moved into the new HQ?

See, now we have some great ideas again. I did factor in suit and exoskeletal repairs, with the Weldy/plasmacutter thing, and heres what i was thinking. If the spartan breaks a bone, it is surrounded with metal (pretty hard to break) so if it broke you would just weld the metal parts together. The only problem would be that could cauterize the bone marrow, therefore you should sodder it from the outside, but once that is done, the metal will hold the bone as it sets, and that basically makes the arm as usable as it was because you dont really have to worry about moving it.

The only problem is that this would all require a tool about the size of a plasma rifle, capable of holding all of this: A cutting torch, the torch's fuel, The weldy thing, more fuel, the sodder reel, the soddering tip, and possibly a flashlight.

Then I got another idea, a syringe, with a handle, kind of like a caulk dispenser. Here's the cool part. The modern military has to vaccinate everyone at boot camp and enlistment if they dont have one yet. They line them up, and inject them all with vaccines. Heres the funny part. They use the same syringe, no needle: Its pneumatic! no needle, dosent need to touch them, just shoots it into them. If a medic carried one of these for things like morphine, adrenaline, and futuristic stuff, maybe short term anestetic, they wouldnt need a million needles, and its more sanitary, but its gonna hurt.

That really simplifies the toolkit to just this:
Giant weldy/cutty/sodder gun/other thing, tool (needs a better name, something heat related?) for use on spartans
The pneumatic injection pistol and a pouch for the meds and air cans it will use. For use on normal people, and spartans.
Then your advanced futuristic-medical-kit loaded with tissue and bone mending equipment.

If the spartan breaks a bone, it is surrounded with metal (pretty hard to break) so if it broke you would just weld the metal parts together ... once that is done, the metal will hold the bone as it sets, and that basically makes the arm as usable as it was because you dont really have to worry about moving it.

you still have to attend to the break if it is a compound fracture, or the patients suit will become filled with blood.

The only problem is that this would all require a tool about the size of a plasma rifle, capable of holding all of this

the size of the metal working tool would be very small in comparison to a Spartan; our current plasma cutters are small, its the phospho-magnesium inserts that are longer rods.

Then I got another idea, a syringe, with a handle, kind of like a caulk dispenser. Here's the cool part. The modern military has to vaccinate everyone at boot camp and enlistment if they dont have one yet. They line them up, and inject them all with vaccines. Heres the funny part. They use the same syringe, no needle: Its pneumatic! no needle, dosent need to touch them, just shoots it into them. If a medic carried one of these for things like morphine, adrenaline, and futuristic stuff, maybe short term anestetic, they wouldnt need a million needles, and its more sanitary, but its gonna hurt.

um, the auto injectors in my field medical kit (real world) are all one use only. I carry various types of atropine, morphine one shots, and adrenaline auto injectors. you also have to factor saline and lactated ringers IV fluid and large amounts of saline. I really like the caulk dispenser idea, this could be filled with ballistics gel, that way the wound could be attended too, the damaged piece of the suit can be filled with gel, and then the plasma cutter can weld the exterior. Oh, and the flashlights are a must, however, they should probably operate on a low spectrum infrared so the light is not visible to the naked eye; the CIA has IR beam / visor reception that are somewhat encrypted, that way only a specific frequency night vision system can see it. we should probably use that. We should also include thermal tracking for bloodspots, that way a medic can hunt down a wounded spartan that is hiding from enemies.

Also it occured to me that the Spartan medical officer would require a larger Heads up Display, as available with the EVA Helmet. This would enable a greater field of vision for microscopic surgery. This mode would also lock out the rest of the Spartans movement servos, increasing accuracy. For this precision mode we should include stabilizers that extend from the lower legs (such as those on tanks and backhoes). The medic takes a crouching position to begin surgery, the suit locks out, the leg that is kneeling is normal and the leg that is at a 90 degree angle extends its stabilizer. I made a schematic for this last night but i will have to upload it to a third party site until i get attachment privileges.

oh snap, it just occurred to me that the Spartan program would not include only human genetic manipulation; historically, military forces have bred dogs for specific traits that improve their combat effectiveness. Heinlein wrote about this in SST (the dog and the human operator were neurologically linked), the German's had project K-9, African sultans created the Boerhboel to defend palaces, and the US included a company of canine trap sniffers in the Pacific campaigns (not to mention the wide variety of canine service dogs currently enlisted).. so here is my concept:

A distress beacon is initiated on the surface of a hostile planet. Spartan medical officers are dispatched to recover a wounded platoon of grunts and their Spartan breech team from an orbiting QRF (quick reactionary force) Dropship. There would most likely already be a QRF medic on the planets surface. This would also most likely be the commanding officer and they would be equipped with the jet glider i brought up earlier. This interceptor design enables the CO to arrive first and begin triage (picks the order of who will probably die first) as well as decide if the area is secure for an orbital drop. If it is, the CO initiates the drop and two or three ODST medics phase pod in, along with one or two canine units per ODST. The canines are cybernetically enhanced, they can provide additional ground security while the medical team works on patients, and the least worst of the patients can be dragged out by the dogs, especially if they are regular marines or troopers (the dogs would most like be larger than the marines). inside the dogs helmet is a homing beacon that navigates the dog to a ground medical facility by low frequency whistles and perhaps specific patterns of blinking lights. The worst of the patients is shuttled out by the CO, stored in the holding compartment of the jet glider, any wounded Spartans are dragged out utilizing the triangular all terrain extraction backpack. If need be (& if the resources are available) a recovery ship can land and extract the entire platoon plus Spartans all at once..

word USG51, I am working on blueprints as we speak for the canine unit and the Spartan K-9 Operator

Concept Development

With the amount of resources, technology, and artificial processing involved in the creation of a Spartan operator we may as well get the most for our theoretical buck. It occurred to me that the medical corps would not be the only group to benefit from cybernetic canines. A scout or combat sweep would also benefit from canines built for speed, such as a greyhound (the medic dogs would be larger to carry supplies and drag patients). The scout would travel with two 'wingmen' to the left and right flanks. These scout/sweep dogs would carry perhaps three small drones, designed to act as decoys, transmission relays, or messengers (in the case that the operator is deep behind enemy lines and radio transmission is not possible.) The drones would be similar to the Boston dynamics 'Bigdog' canine robot (the DARPA dog). The entire cybernetic/robotic group would be modeled after dog pack mentality, with the Spartan as Alpha. The Spartans AI would be partially responsible for pack command, but the two cybernetic dogs could also have AI assistance, and of course the drones would be totally AI...

I like the idea of a giant dog spartan that can be used as a pack mule and possibly even use guns. I think i like the idea of the robots too. Now about the bone fractures, if its compound just use biofoam and slap on some padding. Also I was thinking more along the lines of a field medic assigned to a squad, not a whole fleet. It would be impractical to have an entire frigate move out whenever someone gets injured. I was thinking more about a field medic, and maybe an extraction team with some kind of "medical corps pelican" That would be really cool. The one thing though, it would have to be the extended bay model pelican.

You know how the sirkowsky skycrane helicopter can carry stuff, but it can also have a fuselage and crew compartment attached instead. The pelican is kind of like that. Instead of carrying a scorpion, it would carry a bay extension that would make the bay stretch all the way to the back. I saw something like that on its wiki.

It would be impractical to have an entire frigate move out whenever someone gets injured. I was thinking more about a field medic, and maybe an extraction team with some kind of "medical corps pelican" That would be really cool.

Yes, it would be very impractical to move an entire frigate whenever someone gets hurt, i was thinking that the medical ship rotates around the planet (modern space shuttle makes a rotation around the earth once every 18 minutes or so) and deploys ODST style medics or a Spartan medical officer by means of a phase pod, a small capsule that allows for safe reentry. (that way you keep your resources on standby until they are really needed) I like your ideas about a med corps pelican, will have to look into that more. also noticed you mentioned the biofoam earlier, will go through the medical threads again before posting further ideas. As far as the robot drones, something tells me that a society smart enough to build massive space stations and create MJOLNIR Spartans would also understand the point of using decoys at the least.

Did you see the spartan parachute thing? I think that could be useful. Its compatable with HP Parafoil, and it is mentioned in game, and I know the spartan that tested MC's suit used one. Its more like a parafoil, that can carry a tank. Definately a good halo themed idea similar to the glider idea, and it can be used to drop spartans from orbit. It is kinda bulky though. 2x the size of the jetpack, if not 3

Its meant for spartans, http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Maria-062
Heres an article about Maria-062 who tested John-117's suit, with this parafoil being used as deployment. As it is deployed in the atmosphere it is covered by a case made of the same material as the spartan's suits during re-entry. It seems like an easy way to deliver a spartan, and more supplies than the spartan can carry by themselves. All they would have to do is secure the area, or if secured, treat teh wounded, and hold the area until evac. That or drop pods, but instead of us all making drop pods, we could make these parafoil cases, as they are compatible with the HP parafoil chest piece, and are only a few times bigger than a jet-pack. It might actually be easier to build than a jetpack.

that is righteous! failed to realize the parachute case was the heatshield. lol, i never suggested we should all make drop pods, but i am definitely with you on building an HP parafoil set, will add that to my official build concept. All hail the Aerospace Medical Corps!

Now we have something to model. Actually, I called it and i will start right away. Ill make a Low-Def for adding detail with foamies and cardboard and not pepping tiny grooves. Then ill make a Hi-def. Any good reference shots of the back should help. Maybe just some what ifs and what it would most likely look like as some references are contradictory.

sounds like a plan, use your creative license! I am beginning a drawing to incorporate the Heatshield/Parafoil with the triangle all terrain Spartan puller (dude we really need to come up with a name for this device), that way we can take your model and build the stretcher thing inside.

Compartments
imagepdf.jpg

guardian
compartments.jpg

one of the capsule upon atmospheric reentry
830px-Maria_Reentry.jpg

'flying wing' mod
stretcher.jpg

ODST Mod for Heatshield/Parafoil backpack

More concept art. Started on the wiring for an additional piece of hardware for the backpack. The litter configuration on a C-130 evac is really compact, so i figure the Spartan medic could easily extract 5 OD troopers in lieu of one Spartan. The design incorporates life support for five, to include vital diagnostics, iv, pain management, oxygen, and blood transfusions.

odstmod.jpg

Found a really cool concept drawing that includes these floating things that are scanning a patient and defending the technician:

Technician.jpg

will incorporate two of these orbs in the compartment diagram

dude that thing is awesome i would definantly do the hp parafoil container thing, and oh look it turns into a stretcher =]

I think the parachute compartment would be bulky, and the stretcher probably would not fit into the case, but the backpack containing it could be attached the the chestplate during drop, and moved to the back when or if the spartan ditches the parafoil case. Heres a better idea, it could be stored in the side compartments of the case and unfold and attach to the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back