Its time for the medics to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am sorry that I am butting into a forum thread this late in the planning process, but I just registered a few days ago. Anyway, as a background, I am the son of an Army medic who served at a chemical weapons arsenal in Arkansas. Because of my background, I feel that I can offer a few suggestions. The necessity of medics on the battlefield is imperative, however, if the enemy forces in the are are so strong that a Spartan is downed or a squad of ODSTs, I do not see the logic of sending in a long medic the drag the wounded away, especially after an orbital drop via parafoil. In any realistic combat situation, the medic would either be on the battlefield from the start or at the base of operations. A Spartan could potentially be equipped to act as a one man Recovery/Medic Team, but the advantage of dropping him/her in from outer orbit is lost on me. Aside from the quick deployment from anywhere possibility, why not just airdrop a Spartan Medic in from a nearby base? An alternative the the space frigate hospital would be a high-flying medical base, probably a blimp of some sort, stationed close to the battlefield for easy deployment. This is Halo though, so a Halo-ish method of deployment might include a heavily armored ambulance of some sort, along with a mobile base with automated defensive capabilities such as a modified elephant. I like the idea of the GUNGNIR helmet, as in my mind a battlefield medic could use the extra room for potential extra equipment. As one final point, I think that the medic could have built in drug application lines which would connect with reservoirs of the drugs in the back unit and would be connected through ports in the MJOLNIR armor. A corp of these medics would probably be appropriate, as they might be needed in multiple battles happening at the same time.
-Ben

So a shoulder attachment with Iv stuff and tubing to go along with the little syringe thing.............
Thats basically what I got out of that, and i gotta say i like it, and just a few hours ago (i pulled an all nighter again, 3x in a row wow)
I was thinking of a medical scout hog. It would be empty in the back and carry two stretcher things in the back, because it would be based on the troop hog. That gives the two "passengers" alot of protection and room for a medic or two in between them , and the rollcage is a great place to hang Iv's and such.

multiple threat medical response system the M.T.M.R.S i think thats a kinda cool name for it
no matter what you used that for it would be inherently cool...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The necessity of medics on the battlefield is imperative, however, if the enemy forces in the are are so strong that a Spartan is downed or a squad of ODSTs, I do not see the logic of sending in a long medic the drag the wounded away, especially after an orbital drop via parafoil.
In the case the battle is raging it would not be a lone medic, but a full squad of QRF Combatants. Only in the aftermath of isolated combat would the lone medic appear, or the small team of medical personnel.
In any realistic combat situation, the medic would either be on the battlefield from the start or at the base of operations.
perhaps in a real world conflict as we currently understand it; but not in a future galactic one. The Halo universe is vast, and that battlespace is infinitely dynamic. you have to understand that planet hopping would become mundane, to the point that permanent bases would not be realistic additions to the outlands where many skirmishes would occur. I site the many isolated battles that happened in the Pacific theater during World War II as an example to this cosmic metaphor. I realize you guys are smart cookies, and many would say - just bombard these isolated areas from space - which under perfect circumstances we would.. but the information age is about information, and many times acquiring this information involves subduing and not killing the enemy - especially when the enemy is more advanced than you and your government is trying to get caught up with its own technology... (additional content deleted)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Med-Hog
I was thinking of a medical scout hog. It would be empty in the back and carry two stretcher things in the back, because it would be based on the troop hog. That gives the two "passengers" alot of protection and room for a medic or two in between them , and the rollcage is a great place to hang Iv's and such.
So Toa, if i told you we have a 96 dodge ram just sitting around the company area rusting, and we have need for a real vehicle that can accomplish what you just said, would you be interested in helping make that idea a reality?

At any rate I am Home; the rest of our crew will be converging here this week.. and we are all pumped to get this party on - Medics: its time to make this happen!!!

That sounds fun. Im gonna get me a real nice Honda Metropolitan and maybe I could drive up there and we could wear halo armor and chase people around. I gotta say its pretty fun.

Anyway I havent been on this thread in awhile since ive been doin my GUNGNIR helmet, Just finished up a little more because im workin faster than I can post pics. I literally just added the little thing on the front that gives it that underbite look, and im working on the sides now.

Hello again. Anyway...
I was thinking of a medical scout hog. It would be empty in the back and carry two stretcher things in the back, because it would be based on the troop hog.
I was thinking more of the concept warthog with the back treads to help with the enormous weight of a Spartan. Just a thought...
In the case the battle is raging it would not be a lone medic, but a full squad of QRF Combatants. Only in the aftermath of isolated combat would the lone medic appear, or the small team of medical personnel.
I apologize for this misconception on my part. While reading it seemed as if only one would be there.
The Halo universe is vast, and that battlespace is infinitely dynamic. you have to understand that planet hopping would become mundane, to the point that permanent bases would not be realistic additions to the outlands where many skirmishes would occur.
I realize that having a full-fledged military network of bases would be improbable if not impossable to maintain. However, if a given planet has human colonists on it, it would most likely have a military presence.
Cheers,
-Ben

necro what do you mean by crew? do you work with a group of builders?
yes sir, but probably not the type of builds you are thinking.. our builds are normally modified military equipment or conceptual prototypes that are tactical in nature.. honestly i never thought to build a non-functioning piece of armor until a couple weeks ago when we found this site. my armor experiences thus far revolve around carbon nano fiber exoskeletons our group is designing, the GI sapi plates worn on deployments, and lexan / hybrid metal up-armor for vehicles...

That sounds fun. Im gonna get me a real nice Honda Metropolitan and maybe I could drive up there and we could wear halo armor and chase people around. I gotta say its pretty fun.
heh. that would definately be a good time. but seriously when the concept phase is better established i will have more info on the truck, we have been discussing the adaptations necessary to airdrop it without a parachute for some years now based off the 'copterbox' concept:
206_Descending_Box.jpg

I was thinking more of the concept warthog with the back treads to help with the enormous weight of a Spartan... <break> ...if a given planet has human colonists on it, it would most likely have a military presence.
the tread hog is a pretty good idea, but once you put treads on something it can hardly carry the sub type 'scout' lol; although, the tread hog would be a great up-armored field ambulance. As far as domestic planets, you are absolutely right, and i really like the blimp idea you mentioned earlier..

yes sir, but probably not the type of builds you are thinking.. our builds are normally modified military equipment or conceptual prototypes that are tactical in nature.. honestly i never thought to build a non-functioning piece of armor until a couple weeks ago when we found this site. my armor experiences thus far revolve around carbon nano fiber exoskeletons our group is designing, the GI sapi plates worn on deployments, and lexan / hybrid metal up-armor for vehicles...

holy ****, that sounds awesome

Im thinkin when I get done with the Gungnir I might just start on that big ol Parafoil pack. It will be done with plywood and pinewood sheeting!

Parafoil WIP pre-concept development

My parafoil WIP has begun! A separate thread will be created accordingly for that soon. However, I thought it best to post the concept arrangement on this thread as this is where the carapace idea originated. The following pictures are not my parafoil, they are the foundation for that parafoil as represented by my son's 2011 Halloween costume. <Transformers Soundwave>

IMG_3666.jpg

First we have an approximate shape for the parafoil, although this version is only two dimensional (so to speak). The carapace in the works has a deeper perspective of course, and will be constructed with an aluminum base in lieu of cardboard.
IMG_3708.jpg

The guts of the next version will be more complex, intending to use the identical arrangement for the first layer though. The first layer (closest to the back) will be purely for strength and stability of the Carapace. There will be an additional layer built on top of this one, which will hold the medical equipment and the stretcher.
IMG_3706.jpg

Crucial to the success of the Parafoil Carapace is an appropriate connection between the chest piece and the carapace itself. The harness design that follows is pretty much the same set up I will be using for the finished product.
IMG_3783.jpg

I constructed the shoulder and neck pad assembly first, using a stadium seat cushion for the padding. I left the actual seat material on the chopped pieces and wrapped them with polyhex sports tape, then allotted for an inch of excess, and temporarily taped the pads to a cardboard base. Next I attached the assembly to the carapace back piece with elmer's wood glue.
IMG_3784.jpg

Next i created a lower back pad with the remaining portion of the seat cushion. Again the pad was wrapped with poly, a two inch excess was alloted for and then stapled to the cardboard. (many thanks to Sylvia, the Ft. Bragg sew shop Lady for teaching me this system in 2006!!! XD )
IMG_3789.jpg

The steps that follow will take a considerable amount of pictures in and of themselves to do the process justice. Accordingly, I will refrain from including them on this thread. The configuration that manifests is a generic harness assembly for a standard issue low altitude parachute. An integrated belt will be included in the carapace assembly, as will a central chest pad. The shoulder/neck assembly shown here has been stapled to the actual parafoil base for additional strength.
IMG_3852.jpg

The assembly comprises nylon webbing, polyhex attachments, (8) d-rings, and (3) parachute buckles <not pictured>. As the finished parafoil carapace will be much heavier than the soundwave backpack, additional foam padding will be included. (standard 1/2" foam sleeping pad for the thinner portions)

The first layer. Additional components on the carapace harness will include a central release buckle (parachute release buckle) and a central chest pad underneath the release buckle.
IMG_4029.jpg

Attaching the chest assembly to the carapace assembly.
IMG_4032.jpg

Tightening up the system.
IMG_4033.jpg

Overall the prototype harness worked great! approximate cost of harness components was 20 dollars and all the pieces were available at Joanne fabrics (the lady's reaction to my initial round of questions was _priceless_ lol.. apparently they don't get a lot of men building parachute harnesses for their kid's halloween costumes.. They were also kind enough to let me use their big old work table to lay out and measure all of the components, Thank You Mentor Ohio Joanne Fabric Ladies!!!!

The next installment will outline the pre-production of the Parafoil Carapace WIP, to be created under a thread with that heading. However, in the mean time I will post a full overview of the Soundwave WIP for those interested in that!

More to follow :)

My parafoil WIP has begun! A separate thread will be created accordingly for that soon. However, I thought it best to post the concept arrangement on this thread as this is where the carapace idea originated. The following pictures are not my parafoil, they are the foundation for that parafoil as represented by my son's 2011 Halloween costume. <Transformers Soundwave>

IMG_3666.jpg
First we have an approximate shape for the parafoil, although this version is only two dimensional (so to speak). The carapace in the works has a deeper perspective of course, and will be constructed with an aluminum base in lieu of cardboard.
IMG_3708.jpg
The guts of the next version will be more complex, intending to use the identical arrangement for the first layer though. The first layer (closest to the back) will be purely for strength and stability of the Carapace. There will be an additional layer built on top of this one, which will hold the medical equipment and the stretcher.
IMG_3706.jpg
Crucial to the success of the Parafoil Carapace is an appropriate connection between the chest piece and the carapace itself. The harness design that follows is pretty much the same set up I will be using for the finished product.
IMG_3783.jpg
I constructed the shoulder and neck pad assembly first, using a stadium seat cushion for the padding. I left the actual seat material on the chopped pieces and wrapped them with polyhex sports tape, then allotted for an inch of excess, and temporarily taped the pads to a cardboard base. Next I attached the assembly to the carapace back piece with elmer's wood glue.
IMG_3784.jpg
Next i created a lower back pad with the remaining portion of the seat cushion. Again the pad was wrapped with poly, a two inch excess was alloted for and then stapled to the cardboard. (many thanks to Sylvia, the Ft. Bragg sew shop Lady for teaching me this system in 2006!!! XD )
IMG_3789.jpg
The steps that follow will take a considerable amount of pictures in and of themselves to do the process justice. Accordingly, I will refrain from including them on this thread. The configuration that manifests is a generic harness assembly for a standard issue low altitude parachute. An integrated belt will be included in the carapace assembly, as will a central chest pad. The shoulder/neck assembly shown here has been stapled to the actual parafoil base for additional strength.
IMG_3852.jpg
The assembly comprises nylon webbing, polyhex attachments, (8) d-rings, and (3) parachute buckles <not pictured>. As the finished parafoil carapace will be much heavier than the soundwave backpack, additional foam padding will be included. (standard 1/2" foam sleeping pad for the thinner portions)

The first layer. Additional components on the carapace harness will include a central release buckle (parachute release buckle) and a central chest pad underneath the release buckle.
IMG_4029.jpg

Attaching the chest assembly to the carapace assembly.
IMG_4032.jpg

Tightening up the system.
IMG_4033.jpg

Overall the prototype harness worked great! approximate cost of harness components was 20 dollars and all the pieces were available at Joanne fabrics (the lady's reaction to my initial round of questions was _priceless_ lol.. apparently they don't get a lot of men building parachute harnesses for their kid's halloween costumes.. They were also kind enough to let me use their big old work table to lay out and measure all of the components, Thank You Mentor Ohio Joanne Fabric Ladies!!!!

The next installment will outline the pre-production of the Parafoil Carapace WIP, to be created under a thread with that heading. However, in the mean time I will post a full overview of the Soundwave WIP for those interested in that!

More to follow :)

Nice work! I'm working on my Daughter's suit and it's something like what you are doing but her's is more of a girly Soundwave and it is almost all EVA foam. I want to put some lights in it too. My biggest issue is figuring out how to do the chest door.

Thank you! Would love to see pics of your daughters wip! so far as your question concerning the tape deck mechanism im going to redirect you to the actual Soundwave WIP posted not 5 min ago (this thread is for the medics lol :) )

DUDE THATS AMAZING!!!! but alas, im doing a gears build with my friend and after that im doing an ezio....but ill definantly be working on that

Thank you :) and good luck on your gears build! Did you get AC4 <revelations> yet? hopefully pickin that up this weekend, ezio freakin rules!!

I was planning on doing the carapace out of foam and mounting it on the hard points of my HP/Parafoil chestpiece I made.
The front would mount on to the carapace and hinge on, then use side opening buckles to attach to the carapace itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back