Jedi Stumpy's New Mkvi Helmet New Update 12/3/09 Molding Done! Casts Have Been Pulled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how this helmet looks, so much. I like how the visor fits so flush.. I wish mine was like that but that would require sanding it and bondo and re painting and all that, I'm just gonna see if I can cut the visor in a way to show the least amount of gap.

Man this helmet is so godly. :D

Do you want me to pick up all your materials and get them to you? :p

Stumpy, your work would make me jizz in my pants if I was a dude. That helmet is amazing! It's making me reconsider working on another paper mache helm this December...I might end up attempting to use bondo or plaster with your detailing methods.

Macattack64 said:
Do you want me to pick up all your materials and get them to you? :p

I could always use a second pair of hands!

Thanks everyone for the comments! I am really trying to get this perfect. Still have a lot of work ahead. I mostly likely won't get this done by H-Ween but no biggie.

If you all want to send me $$$ I would make molds and ship them out to you!?!

Well...I would like to mold this. It would be fun and then I wouldn't have to worry so much about the ONE breaking (it shouldn't because I baby it and it is being well made)

Well, back to the real job tomorrow, so I hope I can find some time to start sanding and bondoing....again!

Last edited by a moderator:
My god, that helmet looks AMAZING. I love all the sharp edges and smoothness of it... and the visor flush with the helmet. Just Epic.

Do you have any good bondo/sanding tips? I'm guessing it's all a matter of taking your time and sand and sand some more. :p

This is amazing work! I know a lot of us wish we had the powers of the Jedi... STUMPY! :p

Just saw this wip and all I want to say is AMAZING. The detail can smoothness of the helmet is AWSOME. Can wait to see more!

There are some great helmets on this site and your helmet is one of the top helmets. Its so clean the edges are well defined. Can't wait to see it painted.

Wow!!! I love how you used bondo to fit your visor! Genius! I think I'm gonna have to try that. :p

We guys and gals I'm back with a update. It had been while but with work and the weather it never played out nice. But I'm almost ready for the molding stage. I just need to give it a coat of Acrylic Spray Paint(Clear Coat) and it will be ready.

I'll update you what I have done. I finished with all the bondo work. I got the back all smoothed out so I have some really nice edges on it.

Here is a pic of the back:

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

You can also see I went over the entire helmet resanding pits and hole and fill then in with bondo or spot putty:

DSC02587.jpg

I also finished making the visor area flush with a moto visor so any visor will fit in perfect after rare pulls are cast.

This pic show how I did the top: Bondo and sanding. I didn't "Press Form" it this time using a visor. I just added sanded where it needed it. Worked great.

DSC02654.jpg

Next came sitting in the visor. Used painters' tape since I painted over the whole helmet and because I use spot putty to seal in the visor. I went with this because, though it sticks and hardens to the helmet (tape over the visor can just be pealed off) it can be sanding down if I wanted to use the master helmet to wear or put a visor in it for display. Spot putty is easily sanded to so making it perfect was easy.

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

Next I made a neck for the master mold. Use CB and hot glue to seal it around the opening. I layer a layer of painters' tape around the opening after doing some test with hot glue and the plastic. I didn't pull off easy after it had cooled the hardened. So if you put a layer of tape over where the glue goes, all you have to do is pull the tape off and you master is clean as like you never did anything.

DSC02668.jpg

DSC02669.jpg

Next, I put a layer of Rustoleum "STOPS RUST" Protective Enamel over the helmet. I use this to seal my helmet. I tell you I use that brand and type because you want to make sure you match your paints. I use Rustoleum "STOPS RUST" Automobile Primer and so Rustoleum "STOPS RUST" Protective Enamel would be the best top coat to go over. After I'm use Krylon Acrylic Clear Coat to stop the silicone (Rebound 25) from sticking to the master. Smooth-On suggest (or recommends) using a Acrylic Clear Coat Spray for Silicone

DSC02672.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

Sorry for all the pics. I just want to share everything I've learn for this with the Forums.

If anyone would like a cast please PM me or ask on here. I'm thinking cost for a cast is not going to break the bank for anyone here.

I'm just mentioning it now since it would help pay the cost of materials back sooner since most of us know it aint't cheap!

Thanks guys and gals for all you commits and support! This isn't the last update so the show will go on!!

what did you scale the helmet to when you made it from the pep file?

I might be interested in a cast of that sexy helmet once you mold that.

SupermanExtreme1 said:
what did you scale the helmet to when you made it from the pep file?

I might be interested in a cast of that sexy helmet once you mold that.

265mm Height. It is the default that the FS HD MKVI file opens up to. It wouldn't fit huge heads but I have a good sized head and it fits me just fine. If this helps I have a hat size of 7 (US) or 24 inches circumference. ((Hat sizes range from 2 to 8, Small to XXLarge)) My head is 23 7/8 inches circumference and I got the opening to fit just fine WITHOUT taking off the entire bottom.

But it is now about 275-280mm because of all the bondo on top. So Molded cast will be that height and not the Pep height (or file height)

There's your answer SuperE1!

Here are some pics to give you an idea:

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02536.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back