JonteBoi's Second Halo: Reach Spartan Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the flexibility like on that torso? :p
It's pretty flexible! Otherwise it would be impossible to put this thing on. That's why i really like EVA foam. It holds a nice, stable structure but can also be stretched and bent.However, i still have to be careful when putting it on, and sometimes I am less careful than other times, which has resulted in seams breaking already. It's nothing huge, I will just fix it with some glue. I do have to be more careful in the future though, so that i don't break any more seams.

Update! One shin is finished! I'm uploading this before the other shin is finished because I'm eager to show you guys the differance between this shin and my old one.
IMG_20170619_200927 - kopia.jpg IMG_20170619_200915.jpg IMG_20170619_200941 - kopia.jpg
Look at that! the old was so bad, it didn't fit at all, looks incredibly asymmetric, and the paint job is pretty awful too. I'm very happy with this new piece, and as with every other part I've made so far, there are some details missing. I WILL remember those this time, don't worry. I might do the granedier keepad later tonight, or maybe I'll start on the other shin.

I went to buy some paint the other day and did some paint testing on a forearm I had laying around that was too small. I soon realized i bought the wrong shade of green, and it looks horrible. I don't even want to show it. Im going back to the store tomorrow to get the right shade. I did try out some techniques to get the steel color to look good. I dipped a sponge in silver color and dotted it on a plain black surface and repeated the process with different shades of grey and brown on the sponge, looks pretty sweet! I'm gonna try it out some more to get the right feel of it and then I'll post some pics.

edit: i didn't mean to attach all those pics to the post (especially not the blurry ones), and for some reason they all duplicated..? sorry about that

Attachments

• IMG_20170619_200915 - kopia.jpg
    IMG_20170619_200915 - kopia.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20170619_200927.jpg
    IMG_20170619_200927.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20170619_200941.jpg
    IMG_20170619_200941.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20170619_201410.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201410.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20170619_201420 - kopia.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201420 - kopia.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20170619_201420.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201420.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20170619_201432 - kopia.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201432 - kopia.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20170619_201432.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201432.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20170619_201447 - kopia.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201447 - kopia.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20170619_201447.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201447.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20170619_201502.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201502.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20170619_201511 - kopia.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201511 - kopia.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20170619_201511.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201511.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20170619_201521.jpg
    IMG_20170619_201521.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 310
Started building the DMR today. It's going well, but there's SO MANY DETAILS!!! I'm gonna finish the other side of it, and then I'll find some kind of pipe I can use as the barrels, build the scope, and finally some other details that are missing.
IMG_20170621_172542.jpg cb56854835cf8e32c36bc6ed46e8795c.png

That is unbelievable Foam-Fu JonteBoi. Your DMR is FANTASTIC!!!......You might want to go over the finger grip section w/ a hot knife to smooth out some of the jagged edges, but that is the best part of the prop that I see.....nice detailing. You might consider using some craft foam for for some detailing....It will give it a 3D look to those areas rather than just scoring and heating can.

Wooeee! It's looking good man! One tip for the DMR, for the little holes right here:
IMG_2924.JPG

If you've got a dremel with a thin tip end you can drill in those holes, looks really nice especially after paint.
Continue the great work here!

That is unbelievable Foam-Fu JonteBoi. Your DMR is FANTASTIC!!!......You might want to go over the finger grip section w/ a hot knife to smooth out some of the jagged edges, but that is the best part of the prop that I see.....nice detailing. You might consider using some craft foam for for some detailing....It will give it a 3D look to those areas rather than just scoring and heating can.
You're right, it does look kind of flat at the moment.. I think I'll have to get myself some craft foam. As for the jagged edges, I will definitely clean those up later. Matter of fact, the entire suit is going to need a lot of clean ups when I'm done with all the parts. Thanks for the advice!

Wooeee! It's looking good man! One tip for the DMR, for the little holes right here:
View attachment 245838
If you've got a dremel with a thin tip end you can drill in those holes, looks really nice especially after paint.
Continue the great work here!
I tried drilling the holes with the dremel, and it looks so much better now! Thanks alot!

Hello everyone! I've been working with the suit all day, this is what I've made so far.
IMG_20170626_233932.jpg
First of all, both boots are finished! This means every part of the suit is basically finished, some parts are missing some details and stuff.
IMG_20170626_234042.jpg (The DMR still needs lots of cleaning up. It's missing lots of details, and there are some very rough edges. Don't worry, I'll get to that!)
I found a pair of old roller ski poles, and thought the tips would work as barrels for the DMR, looks pretty sweet. I did some thinking and thought the DMR would be even cooler with a flashlight on it, so I put a LED at the end of one of the barrels, two AAA-batteries inside the barrel, and some wires leading to a switch just by the trigger.
IMG_20170626_234537.jpg (not very effective, since the light casts a shadow of the longer barrel that's right next to it)
IMG_20170626_234619.jpg IMG_20170626_234625.jpg IMG_20170626_234701.jpg
I also did the soft case for the left thigh, and im very happy with the result. The green pouch was very cheap, i ordered it from eBay or something, I can barely remember.. The black straps are from an old suitcase that i found in my garage.

Other than that I've added all the missing details on the shoulders, and I've started working on hiding all the seams on the helmet.
This project is going great so far, thanks to everyone checking this thread out. I can't wait to start painting!

Last edited:
Mind. BLOWN!

Makes you look like a freakin' tank! A very tall, skinny tank! :) JK!

One thing, though...your DMR is pretty tiny compared to your suit. I would scale it up 15% or so.

Your suit looks fantastic nevertheless, and it's super inspirational. I think I'll make Jorge someday because of your awesome build.

Awesome armor and awesome pics!!
Thank you!!

Mind. BLOWN!

Makes you look like a freakin' tank! A very tall, skinny tank! :) JK!

One thing, though...your DMR is pretty tiny compared to your suit. I would scale it up 15% or so.

Your suit looks fantastic nevertheless, and it's super inspirational. I think I'll make Jorge someday because of your awesome build.
Hahah, yeah, it sure looks buff! I did notice that the DMR was a little out of scale when it was finished, but i didn't have time to make a new one. I'll probably remake it soon though! You should totally make Jorge, he is probably my favourite noble team member when it comes to armor!

This is honestly one of the hands down best halo reach builds I've ever seen!! really well done man! im also kinda jealous and after seeing this im going to make some upgrades to my reach build!! One quick question though and i don't know you've you've already answered this but how well is the flexibility with your foam ab piece? cause i can imagine that it would constrict a lot of movement but in some of the poses it looks like its not a problem at all?? o_O

JonteBoi, FANTASTIC!!!!! Great job dude..... love the subtle weathering to the suit.....not over the top but still looks like you've been in a few scrapes. Agreed the DMR looks a bit too small, but besides that, is the barrel straight? It looks like it's drooping a bit. It looks awesome though.......

This is honestly one of the hands down best halo reach builds I've ever seen!! really well done man! im also kinda jealous and after seeing this im going to make some upgrades to my reach build!! One quick question though and i don't know you've you've already answered this but how well is the flexibility with your foam ab piece? cause i can imagine that it would constrict a lot of movement but in some of the poses it looks like its not a problem at all?? o_O
Thank you so much, it means alot!! Yes so the ab piece itself has very limited movement, but that part is not stuck to the chest piece! It simply ends about where my ribs start, just enough so that the chest piece covers the uncovered area of my body. this means I can somewhat bend forward and backwards a little bit, and I can easily rotate my upper body. I would take some pictures but I don't have the suit with me at the moment. I can't do too advanced poses, the one where i'm standing on one knee is really putting some force on the armor, and I was actually quite worried some seams would break there.. :/ Hope this clarifies everything a little!

JonteBoi, FANTASTIC!!!!! Great job dude..... love the subtle weathering to the suit.....not over the top but still looks like you've been in a few scrapes. Agreed the DMR looks a bit too small, but besides that, is the barrel straight? It looks like it's drooping a bit. It looks awesome though.......
Thank you!! I was much happier with the weathering on this suit compared to my previous one, but I still have MUCH to learn when it comes to painting and using different weathering techniques. About the barrel, you're absolutely correct, it's not straight in all the pictures.. That is because i did the lazy installment of a LED light in one of the barrels, and I wasn't quite happy with it so I didn't want to glue the barrels stuck just yet. I'm going to find a better way to install the LED light, and then I will fix "the dropping barrels" problem. Thank you for reminding me of that though!

Thank you so much, it means alot!! Yes so the ab piece itself has very limited movement, but that part is not stuck to the chest piece! It simply ends about where my ribs start, just enough so that the chest piece covers the uncovered area of my body. this means I can somewhat bend forward and backwards a little bit, and I can easily rotate my upper body. I would take some pictures but I don't have the suit with me at the moment. I can't do too advanced poses, the one where i'm standing on one knee is really putting some force on the armor, and I was actually quite worried some seams would break there.. :/ Hope this clarifies everything a little!

Awesome man!! thanks for that!(y) ill definitely have to try it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back