JonteBoi's Second Halo: Reach Spartan Costume

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by JonteBoi, May 21, 2017.

1. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

You're right, it does look kind of flat at the moment.. I think I'll have to get myself some craft foam. As for the jagged edges, I will definitely clean those up later. Matter of fact, the entire suit is going to need a lot of clean ups when I'm done with all the parts. Thanks for the advice!

I tried drilling the holes with the dremel, and it looks so much better now! Thanks alot!

PaiganBoi, Dirtdives and Schankerz like this.
  2. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Hello everyone! I've been working with the suit all day, this is what I've made so far.
    IMG_20170626_233932.jpg
    First of all, both boots are finished! This means every part of the suit is basically finished, some parts are missing some details and stuff.
    IMG_20170626_234042.jpg (The DMR still needs lots of cleaning up. It's missing lots of details, and there are some very rough edges. Don't worry, I'll get to that!)
    I found a pair of old roller ski poles, and thought the tips would work as barrels for the DMR, looks pretty sweet. I did some thinking and thought the DMR would be even cooler with a flashlight on it, so I put a LED at the end of one of the barrels, two AAA-batteries inside the barrel, and some wires leading to a switch just by the trigger.
    IMG_20170626_234537.jpg (not very effective, since the light casts a shadow of the longer barrel that's right next to it)
    IMG_20170626_234619.jpg IMG_20170626_234625.jpg IMG_20170626_234701.jpg
    I also did the soft case for the left thigh, and im very happy with the result. The green pouch was very cheap, i ordered it from eBay or something, I can barely remember.. The black straps are from an old suitcase that i found in my garage.

Other than that I've added all the missing details on the shoulders, and I've started working on hiding all the seams on the helmet.
    This project is going great so far, thanks to everyone checking this thread out. I can't wait to start painting!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

I just finished painting the suit, however it's too dark outside for photos, and the lighting inside is useless, so here's a little "tease" where you can't really see the colors.. I'll post some proper photos tomorrow! IMG_20170703_224058.jpg IMG_20170703_224113.jpg

PaiganBoi, Yeexsters and Schankerz like this.
  4. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Here we go! Enjoy some of this!
    IMG_20170704_222734.jpg IMG_20170704_222754.jpg IMG_20170704_222802.jpg Screenshot_20170704-223745.png Look at how buff i look..!!
    IMG_20170704_225121.jpg IMG_20170704_225126.jpg IMG_20170704_225131.jpg IMG_20170704_225139.jpg IMG_20170704_225150.jpg Some decals. 405th European logo, S-216 (My spartan tag), UNSC, S-216 and the symbol i used in Halo: Reach.

I still haven't connected the leg pieces to the cod piece, that's why they fall down. I'll get to that tomorrow!

5. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Okay here's some better photos! IMG_20170709_143309.jpg IMG_20170709_143653.jpg IMG_20170709_143656.jpg IMG_20170709_143715.jpg IMG_20170709_143722.jpg IMG_20170709_142542_1.jpg IMG_20170709_142617.jpg IMG_20170709_142630.jpg IMG_20170709_142856_1.jpg IMG_20170709_142933.jpg IMG_20170709_143113.jpg
    IMG_20170709_143246_1.jpg IMG_20170709_143710.jpg

IMG_20170709_143246_1.jpg

IMG_20170709_143307.jpg

6. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Awesome armor and awesome pics!!

JonteBoi likes this.
  7. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Mind. BLOWN!

Makes you look like a freakin' tank! A very tall, skinny tank! :) JK!

One thing, though...your DMR is pretty tiny compared to your suit. I would scale it up 15% or so.

Your suit looks fantastic nevertheless, and it's super inspirational. I think I'll make Jorge someday because of your awesome build.

Kat and JonteBoi like this.
  8. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you!!

Hahah, yeah, it sure looks buff! I did notice that the DMR was a little out of scale when it was finished, but i didn't have time to make a new one. I'll probably remake it soon though! You should totally make Jorge, he is probably my favourite noble team member when it comes to armor!

9. Chiefwannabe

Chiefwannabe

This is honestly one of the hands down best halo reach builds I've ever seen!! really well done man! im also kinda jealous and after seeing this im going to make some upgrades to my reach build!! One quick question though and i don't know you've you've already answered this but how well is the flexibility with your foam ab piece? cause i can imagine that it would constrict a lot of movement but in some of the poses it looks like its not a problem at all?? o_O

10. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

JonteBoi, FANTASTIC!!!!! Great job dude..... love the subtle weathering to the suit.....not over the top but still looks like you've been in a few scrapes. Agreed the DMR looks a bit too small, but besides that, is the barrel straight? It looks like it's drooping a bit. It looks awesome though.......

11. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you so much, it means alot!! Yes so the ab piece itself has very limited movement, but that part is not stuck to the chest piece! It simply ends about where my ribs start, just enough so that the chest piece covers the uncovered area of my body. this means I can somewhat bend forward and backwards a little bit, and I can easily rotate my upper body. I would take some pictures but I don't have the suit with me at the moment. I can't do too advanced poses, the one where i'm standing on one knee is really putting some force on the armor, and I was actually quite worried some seams would break there.. :/ Hope this clarifies everything a little!

Chiefwannabe likes this.
  12. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you!! I was much happier with the weathering on this suit compared to my previous one, but I still have MUCH to learn when it comes to painting and using different weathering techniques. About the barrel, you're absolutely correct, it's not straight in all the pictures.. That is because i did the lazy installment of a LED light in one of the barrels, and I wasn't quite happy with it so I didn't want to glue the barrels stuck just yet. I'm going to find a better way to install the LED light, and then I will fix "the dropping barrels" problem. Thank you for reminding me of that though!

13. Chiefwannabe

Chiefwannabe

Awesome man!! thanks for that!(y) ill definitely have to try it !

JonteBoi likes this.
  14. canislatrans

canislatrans New Member

15. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer

Just wanted to say your costume turned out great. Very very nice. :D

JonteBoi likes this.
  16. pipninja

pipninja

This is epic, Nice work!

JonteBoi likes this.
  17. Artifice

Artifice 405th Regiment Officer

Beautifully done ! I love the paint job on it too ! How's the movement in the suit ?

18. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you! The movement is not too bad. I explained a while ago in a previous post how the abs piece and the chest piece are two seperate parts. This means it's easy to bend my upper body forward and backward. I can also rotate my upper body easily. There is one problem when it comes to the movement and that is when i bend my knee. The thigh piece comes in contact with the shin, so I can only bend my knees to a maximum of about 90 degrees. Hope this answered your question!

19. Artifice

Artifice 405th Regiment Officer

Awesome and ya the shin, calve and thigh are places where it's a little difficult to give your self a full range of movement some people I've known tend to try and cut away a little more material in the back on the calve and thigh to try and help it not to pinch as much.

JonteBoi likes this.
  20. zigzwag

zigzwag New Member

Very cool! I think that you did awesome with the paintjob for this project.

JonteBoi likes this.
  21. Kat

Kat Jr Member

How long did this take you to complete do you think, JonteBoi ?

22. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

That's a good question. I don't know the exact amount of hours i put into this, but it must've been somwhere around 200 hours. I started the project in the beginning of may, and finished it the 8th of july I think. I worked almost everyday (maybe 5 days a week), between 4 and 8 hours each day. So it should end up a little more than 200 hours. Hope this helps!

23. Kat

Kat Jr Member

It helps a lot! A friend and I want to go as Kat and Noble 6 to the comic con up in Seattle WA next year and I was wondering after what point it wasn't viable to try to go to this one. Personally I'd rather go to the one in Phoenix AZ since that's where I live, but my friend thinks that it would be too hot in Arizona XD

24. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

I see! Yeah Arizona sounds a little hot, I live in Sweden so I'm lucky :D It's super cold here

Kat likes this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Kat, keep in mind that if you build is w/ foam, it will act as an insulator and people have been know to succumb to heat exhaustion and/or dehydration. How ever hot it gets in NY.....Arizona as that dry heat which is even more detrimental to wearing a foam suit...not trying to scare you from building....just and FYI to take in to account. .....another FYI, using fiberglass for your build will be just as hot to wear. If you can afford it....look in to a vest cooling system.

Kat likes this.