JonteBoi's Second Halo: Reach Spartan Costume

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by JonteBoi, May 21, 2017.

1. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5

That is amazing. Good Job.

JonteBoi likes this.
  2. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you, that means alot!

HeroMinerR5 and Kat like this.
  3. Kat

Kat Jr Member

Thanks for the advice. That's part of why we were wanting to go to the one up in Seattle. The only issue there would be... rain XD
    I'm honestly considering Pep for my first build since it will be a bit cheaper.... But also thinking foam since it will likely be easier for me to work with.

JonteBoi likes this.
  4. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

IMG_20170813_155739.jpg Finally made an armor stand for my costume! Now it stands like this in my room, watching me at all times. Under the armor is a duct tape dummy that I made a while ago. Inside the dummy is two wooden round bars that go from the neck down each leg, and then they go into two holes in the wooden slabs. It stands very straight, and won't fall! I'm thinking of taking it one step further by installing some lights at the bottom of the stand, I think that would look pretty dope.
    In other news I just finished installing the blue lights on the chestplate and on the arms, tomorrow I'll get to the ones on the thighs. I'll post some pictures when I'm done with that!

5. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

So it free stands on the dummy? Cool. Looks great!!!!

SI3RRA 117 and mblackwell1002 like this.
  6. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

As i promised, here are some pics of the suit with the lights!
    IMG_20170814_162243.jpg IMG_20170814_162320.jpg IMG_20170814_211644.jpg IMG_20170814_211705.jpg The last two pictures are taken when it's dark outside so that no light comes through the window, you can really see the differance, it shines pretty bright!

The gloves are not attached properly, that's why it looks so goofy :D

7. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

OH MAN! That is AWESOME!!! The feel look a little bit goofy. Like Horse Hooves. :D

JonteBoi likes this.
  8. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Yes the feet do look like horse hooves :D Since the dummy is attached with rods through the legs into the wooden slabs, I can't put the shoes on.

Kat and mblackwell1002 like this.
  9. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Hello everyone! I just thought i'd share some photos with everyone since i finally got to wear the costume in public this weekend!! I was at Stockholm Comic Con and it was super fun, enjoy.
    IMG_20170918_195708_652.jpg Snapchat-945403444.jpg Snapchat-1012100739.jpg
    IMG_20170918_195708_655.jpg IMG_20170918_195708_653.jpg
    Snapchat-1453355406.jpg Snapchat-1440756453.jpg
    IMG_20170916_193457_148.jpg
    IMG_20170917_191706_868.jpg

Sadly I saw no other spartans :( We're a little short on spartans here in sweden.

Anyway I am glad i finally got to use this suit, I am super happy with it. I got tons of compliments and so many people who took photos with me. I even got an offer to trade the suit for some sweet looking stuff one guy had in his shop! I had to decline the offer though, the time I've put on this project makes it a special thing to me, and I couldn never let it go. It stayed intact throughout the entire weekend, barely any repairs were made! Thank you to everyone who helped out with tips and tricks for this project, couldn't have done this without you!

Next project is going to be a Halo 4 costume, I've already got my hands on some sweet material for the undersuit! But I'm still going to use this suit alot, it means a lot to me and I'm super happy with it.

SI3RRA 117, Chiefwannabe and Kat like this.
  10. Kat

Kat Jr Member

This suit looks amazing~
    If you need any help sewing the undersuit I'd be glad to lend my expertise! Shipping wouldn't be a problem for me ^^

JonteBoi likes this.
  11. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot New Member

I think it's pretty rare to see Spartans who actually include lights throughout the suit, which is a detail that looks phenomenal, especially in your build. Looks great.

Kat likes this.
  12. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you! I love me some lights in a cosplay, they add a whole new element which makes the costume look so much more awesome.

13. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5

Look Awesome Good Job

JonteBoi likes this.
  14. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Thank you!! That means alot

15. morkar78

morkar78

Great suit. What kind of lights did you use?

JonteBoi likes this.
  16. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Each light is a 5mm LED driven by 3V. Each part of the suit has it's own circuit (one arm has 3 lights and a 9V battery and a switch, chest part has 9 lights and 3 9V batteries and a switch, and so on..) It's a little annoying turning all the lights on since there is a total of 5 switches, but the batteries seem to last forever, I still haven't changed them!

morkar78 likes this.
  17. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Three 9V batteries for the chest seems a bit overkill to me. I run a pair of fans and 4 ultra bright LEDs off of one in my NCR Ranger mask. Check out this LED Circuit Wizard for your next build. Just a guess from seeing other cosplayers do it but I'm guessing you have the three 9V because that's each one will run three LEDs without need of resistors, add some for safeties sake and to save money in the long run on 9V batteries.

If you're new to LEDs and circuits it's fairly safe to assume when doing a quick estimation that most have a 20mA forward current and roughly 3.3V forward voltage depending on size/colour/brightness but it's not usually too far off those values when it does vary. Below, science because electronics are kind of my jam.
    LumexLEDColorGuide.png

18. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Oh man this is good stuff! I knew there had to be an easier way than this.. I'm very new to electronics and stuff, so this will help me out big time for my next costume! Cannot thank you enough.
    Also, what kind of fan are you using? I was looking around but I couldn't find a small one to fit in my helmet.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  19. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

I used 12V case fans that you can see in my non-Halo build thread. I don't remember exact sizing and can't really check now since they're encased in the mask but I'd guess 25mm and 40mm and run about $4.00CAD each at my local hobby store, DigiKey is another good option.

I've made a few changes to the wiring but I've run the helmet circuit with four ultra bright wide angle red LEDs and two fans off of a pair of 9V batteries in series which lasted eight hours. You can run the fans off of 9V but discharge curves are funny as are minimum operating voltages of fans and you'll lose the fans long before the battery is fully drained.

JonteBoi likes this.
  20. JonteBoi

JonteBoi New Member

Awesome, I'll have to look into this when I get to the helmet.

TurboCharizard likes this.