Jorge 052 - Against All Odds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timothy Rodowicz said:
looks really good

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Chrissern said:
Do you have any updates on either the helmet or the gun? I can't wait for more updates! :D

Just because you keep nagging... ;)

The gun is about 95% finished (modelling, haven't begun unfolding yet). I have been spending a lot of time removing faces per rundowns tips, and lowered the file size by 35%, even though it is a lot more detailed now. It's going to be 7 big pieces, and I might be tempted to make some of the smaller pieces removable in order to make pepping this bad boy easier. We'll see... What's left to do detailwise is to finish off the magazine, then I'm pretty happy with the appearance of it, and any details I have left out are those that I consider would be impossible to pep.

JorgeChainGun.jpg

And yes, I have recently learnt how to change the background. :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
dude. this if freaking awesome. i'm going to keep my eye on this thread very intently ! :) i'm going to have to build me this armour when all the pieces are done being modeled and unfolded. keep up the amazing work :) *runs off to down load everything that has been done thus far*

The gun looks amazing, can't wait for the finished product. I have one shin and boot plate ready for bondo and so far I must say your build is very easy to work with so it should come out nicely.

I just happened to find this topic literally two minutes after I printed the last file for my Mk iv and my hybrid Army of Two/Fallout 3 suit... Hmm. Lucky me. As soon as I get some more cardstock, ink, and patience, I will definately get to work on the most badass of all projects. I love this Spartan. Even though i'm super scrawny and this dude's like 7 ft and 350 lbs of muscle. But i'm fourteen so our ages might be pretty close since he's a spartan:)

Outlaw-Tiger said:
just out of curiosity, are you going to make a pep file of Jorge's backpack ?

Good question, I haven't really decided on it yet. Problem is that there isn't very much reference material (that I know of anyhow). There is enough in the renders of Jorge and the trailer to make the sides and front of the backpack, but I wouldn't be able to do the back, which is the most important one. I don't want to make a half-assed attempt and have a crappy end result, that's not how I roll. However, one scene in the Vidoc Once more Unto the Breach shows Jorge running across the screen without his backpack (same scene that gave me the information that his backplate looks like the other Spartan's), but with the gun in his hands. It suggests that the backpack isn't a permanent thing, which means a good Jorge suit doesn't necessarily need it (he will probably appear without the gun too occasionally, but come on, who wouldn't want that gun?). However, if any more material is released so I can do the back portion of it decently, then yes I am going to make it a pep piece. It does add that little extra touch to the finished character which I would certainly want if I can have it.

Edit:

tristangore said:
I just happened to find this topic literally two minutes after I printed the last file for my Mk iv and my hybrid Army of Two/Fallout 3 suit... Hmm. Lucky me. As soon as I get some more cardstock, ink, and patience, I will definately get to work on the most badass of all projects. I love this Spartan. Even though i'm super scrawny and this dude's like 7 ft and 350 lbs of muscle. But i'm fourteen so our ages might be pretty close since he's a spartan:)

Lol, glad you like my models. Seems there will be a lot of Jorges, when I started modelling I thought I was basically modelling just for me, there seemed to be an Emile craze going on.

Be aware of the fact that I'm modelling this to fit myself (6', 300 lbs (not only muscle... :( )), so many parts might need some scaling to fit properly. I'm new to the game though, so I wouldn't be able to advice you on how to scale it.

Yeah 2.5 ui very different but i like the flow better then the old one

EDIT: Try setting your models to smooth shading they will look alot nicer in the renders and doesnt effect the wires you use

AceHigh said:
Good question, I haven't really decided on it yet. Problem is that there isn't very much reference material (that I know of anyhow). There is enough in the renders of Jorge and the trailer to make the sides and front of the backpack, but I wouldn't be able to do the back, which is the most important one. I don't want to make a half-assed attempt and have a crappy end result, that's not how I roll. However, one scene in the Vidoc Once more Unto the Breach shows Jorge running across the screen without his backpack (same scene that gave me the information that his backplate looks like the other Spartan's), but with the gun in his hands. It suggests that the backpack isn't a permanent thing, which means a good Jorge suit doesn't necessarily need it (he will probably appear without the gun too occasionally, but come on, who wouldn't want that gun?). However, if any more material is released so I can do the back portion of it decently, then yes I am going to make it a pep piece. It does add that little extra touch to the finished character which I would certainly want if I can have it.

Edit:

Lol, glad you like my models. Seems there will be a lot of Jorges, when I started modelling I thought I was basically modelling just for me, there seemed to be an Emile craze going on.

Be aware of the fact that I'm modelling this to fit myself (6', 300 lbs (not only muscle... :( )), so many parts might need some scaling to fit properly. I'm new to the game though, so I wouldn't be able to advice you on how to scale it.

Well if you scale one correctly, you can most likely put them all in that same scale factor and they will perfectly proportional. Might have to start with a few trial and errors but, just to be sure and not spend too much time, make one of the smaller pieces of Jorges armor and if it fits, scale everything to that scale factor:)

Chrissern said:
:eek That look amazing!

I would love to try unfolding this if you would want to send me some files when it's done :D

You are more than welcome to make an unfold, but as you know I'm going to make my own of everything, so if patient there's going to be an unfold eventually. ;)

I'm not completely happy with the model yet though, I am not through going over it checking for mistakes and stuff like that. I'm trying to do a million things at once right now it seems like, so I can't make an estimate to when the gun will be ready.

Spartan 051 said:
Yeah 2.5 ui very different but i like the flow better then the old one

EDIT: Try setting your models to smooth shading they will look alot nicer in the renders and doesnt effect the wires you use

Absolutely, it does feel like 2.5 is an improvement. Still, I can't use it fully quite yet.

Actually, I like the crisp precise look of the flat shade. The smooth shade looks weird in my eyes when used on weapons and helmets and stuff. It might be good for rounder models, like if you were to model a face, but for metallic things I don't think it looks good.

tristangore said:
Well if you scale one correctly, you can most likely put them all in that same scale factor and they will perfectly proportional. Might have to start with a few trial and errors but, just to be sure and not spend too much time, make one of the smaller pieces of Jorges armor and if it fits, scale everything to that scale factor:)

It could work, but I'm not making any guarantees that the parts will work with the same scale. :p

By the way, if someone wants any support struts or something like that, let me know.

AceHigh said:
Thanks! Glad you like it.

Just because you keep nagging... ;)

The gun is about 95% finished (modelling, haven't begun unfolding yet). I have been spending a lot of time removing faces per rundowns tips, and lowered the file size by 35%, even though it is a lot more detailed now. It's going to be 7 big pieces, and I might be tempted to make some of the smaller pieces removable in order to make pepping this bad boy easier. We'll see... What's left to do detailwise is to finish off the magazine, then I'm pretty happy with the appearance of it, and any details I have left out are those that I consider would be impossible to pep.

JorgeChainGun.jpg

And yes, I have recently learnt how to change the background. :lol

I must have you my precious! i need that gun. :p

Chrissern said:
:eek That look amazing!

I would love to try unfolding this if you would want to send me some files when it's done :D

true

my god... I already new Jorge was big but looking at all the pieces separated and by themselves, he is absolutely ridiculous. I can't wait to see this built and on someone, which wouldn't be possible without AceHigh's awesome models. I want to see this in person, it would absolutely dwarf me... I'm not even short to begin with...

AceHigh said:
You are more than welcome to make an unfold, but as you know I'm going to make my own of everything, so if patient there's going to be an unfold eventually. ;)

I'm not completely happy with the model yet though, I am not through going over it checking for mistakes and stuff like that. I'm trying to do a million things at once right now it seems like, so I can't make an estimate to when the gun will be ready.

Absolutely, it does feel like 2.5 is an improvement. Still, I can't use it fully quite yet.

Actually, I like the crisp precise look of the flat shade. The smooth shade looks weird in my eyes when used on weapons and helmets and stuff. It might be good for rounder models, like if you were to model a face, but for metallic things I don't think it looks good.

It could work, but I'm not making any guarantees that the parts will work with the same scale. :p

By the way, if someone wants any support struts or something like that, let me know.

Of course I know you make your own unfolds, it's just that I find it easier to complete a project if I have unfolded it myself :D

Some support struts would be very helpful yes, but it is probably just as easy just to scratch build them.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really satisfied with the results of my modelling. I'm officially done with the suit as far as modelling goes. Inofficially, I'm too much of a perfectionist to ever let it go completely, so don't be surprised if there are changes. :pFirst post have been updated with a picture compilation of all the parts. Oh how this will be bad ass.

I'm making myself busy with the unfolding. I have posted up the first three (out of seven) parts of the gun in the first post. I'm struggling though, as I need to divide my time between unfolding, pepping Jorge and as of lately building a bloody cube. I love my cube though, so I'm not letting him go. :lol My biggest concern right now is if I get the urge to colour my models as to have a close to game accurate picture on the front page...too many projects, too little time (even if I have a lot of time actually)...

One thing that I would recommend is possibly dividing the knee plate from the shin. I ended up having to do that when I started bondoing.

Rock said:
One thing that I would recommend is possibly dividing the knee plate from the shin. I ended up having to do that when I started bondoing.

Is it due to the detailing on the knee plate, or what was the problem?

Edit: Unfolded another part of the gun. 3 to go, unfortunately 3 big ones lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back