Kirrou's Odst Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey every one I am back at it. I got really busy during the last few weeks with my girls birthday, Christmas, and the New Year so I have not had much time to work on my build. Until the last few days. So I am here with a little update and a late Christmas present for everyone.

This is what I have been working on the last few days.

kirrou_odst_chest_pep_01.jpg

kirrou_odst_chest_pep_02.jpg

kirrou_odst_chest_pep_03.jpg

Here I quickly put it on my chest with some tape just to show the scale and the curve a little better.

me_chest_side.jpg

me_chest_front.jpg

Sorry about the quality but I was balancing my camera on my desk to take a picture cause no one else it home lol. I am going to fiber glass this tonight and start bondo tomorrow.

If you don't recognize that pep its because its NEW. Lol

And yes you read it right I modeled and unfolded this.

During the last few week I had been working on a new pep file and I finally found time to finish it.

I made a new ODST Chest Plate pep file. I modeled, unfolded, and actually peped it. And I know what you guys are thinking "why the chest plate? There are like a million different ones out there already." Lol Well even though that's true, most of them were made before the ODST game came out so there are some inconsistencies between them and the game. Plus I just couldn't find any that I really liked.(P.S. not bagging anyone's pep there are a bunch of amazing modelers out there this was just my personal preference)

So I decided to build my own and just how I wanted it. So I flipped on my copy of ODST took a bunch of reference pics of the chest from every angle imaginable and came out with this pep. Now this is as accurate as I could make it although admittedly I took some artistic liberties in some areas due to the game models using normal mapping to create geometry that isn't really there when you look from a different angle. But over all I feel this is very true to the chest plate in the game and I am really happy with how it came out. I really hope you all like it.

It took a while to unfold but I am also very satisfied with how that came out too. Lol I tried to make it as easy as possible to build and I hope you guys agree. I managed to fit this bad boy on 4 pages. But only at 20cm in height anything bigger than that need more pages and so I created another file that is already larger and properly laid out. So without further a due.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the files. I have it available in 3 different files High Def, High Def Large, and Tester/Low Def.

For those of you who are wondering about the difference between the High Def and High Def Large files, well let me clarify.

The files and unfolds are the same. The only differences are the default height and the way the cutout pieces are laid out and the number of pages it takes to print. The High Def file is 20cm in height and fits perfectly on 4 pages. If you need it smaller then your fine with this file, but if you make it larger than that, you will have to do a lot of rearranging of the cutout pieces to print properly. So I made a High Def Large file defaulted at 24cm in height which can be made larger or smaller freely with out much rearranging of the cutout pieces. Keep in mind that this file takes 7 pages to print.

As for scaling I would recommend scaling based on height and not width because this chest pep is curved so if you scale solely based on width it will probably be too large. The High Def file is defaulted at 20cm(roughly 8in)high. This fit me very well and I am about 180cm(6ft)tall it also fit my cousin fairly well and he is 185cm(6ft 2in) tall. If you are really worried about the scale you should print the tester file out first. It is really Low Def and super easy to put together. Its is defaulted at 20cm(8in) high as well.

High Def

Download Link
(which I managed to fit on a total of 4 pages perfectly and is 20cm high. Note: it can be made smaller but if your planing on going bigger use the Large file you wont need to mess with the unfold layout as much)

chest_pep_preview_hi_def-1.jpg

Tester/Low Def

Download Link
(Its really low def but has all the same dimensions as the High Def)

chest_pep_preview_tester.jpg

High Def LARGE

Download Link
(for those who need it higher than 20cm. It defaulted at 24 cm and is 7 pages but you wont need to rearrange the pep much with this if you need it larger.

Any feed back, comments, or questions are always welcome.

P.S. I am still working on my helmet I just got caught up in this lol. I'll post more pics as soon as I make more progress.

Sweeeeeet.

Now that the Reach trailer is out and there's inspiration and breathing room for all kinds of armor permutations, I'm glad to see projects like this where people are experimenting with customization and variants.

... and you are doing so very skillfully, I might add. Nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the finish. Are you planning on making this a full suit?

NoDayLikeDoomsday said:
Sweeeeeet.

Now that the Reach trailer is out and there's inspiration and breathing room for all kinds of armor permutations, I'm glad to see projects like this where people are experimenting with customization and variants.

... and you are doing so very skillfully, I might add. Nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the finish. Are you planning on making this a full suit?

Lol thanks. And yeah I plan on making a full suit. I haven't decided if I am going to make any perms to the armor(besides the helmet) yet though. Lol But we shall see.

I ended up getting caught up with some things yesterday but today I am free all day so I should have the chest plate glassed and a good amount of work done on the bucket. I'll post pics later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! How did I miss this topic, everything looks great.

Are you going to release the peps for the light and extra vent, or did I miss them?

Keep up the good work!

Nobody said:
Wow! How did I miss this topic, everything looks great.

Are you going to release the peps for the light and extra vent, or did I miss them?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks alot.

I haven't yet but I do plan too. Unfortunately right now I am Bondoing the helmet and a lot of inconsistencies between it and the game model are becoming evident. So I might remake it.

The inconsistencies are mostly minor things like where the vents on the side begin, how far the chin piece sticks out and the curve of the top of the helmet, and the curve of the chin piece. But I am doing a lot of whole lot of Bondo work to correct those, and I would like to safe people from all that in the future. Lol But I'll keep you guys posted for its release.

Just finished pepping this bad ass chest plate, and it turned out great, you are a very talented designer, great job man! :)

the chest armor is sweet bro i put the large one togeather and it looks awesome thanks for the work that you put in on making that model aloha

First thanks you guys for yours positive feed back. And all you guys that are using my chest plate pep I really hope it helps you in you build thanks for using my pep. It feels really good to help the 405th members.

Anywho folks on to the good stuff. Here is a MASSIVE UPDATE of all the progress I have made and the bumps I have ran into with my K1 ODST helmet build. I have been working on it about 2 months on and off and unfortunately I hadn't gotten a chance to post an update until now. (sorry for all the pics but this is about two months of work)

Initial warping issues coming to light

4264969108_60cbf64529_o.jpg

Decided to build mass with Bondo and just sculpt it out to fix all warping

4264969224_f53220e9dc_o.jpg

4264217225_09c8d2465b_o.jpg

4264969328_6d05cec9a7_o.jpg

Began work on the chin and the cheek part

4264217473_210953de47_o.jpg

Smoothing things out

4264217519_e516088e86_o.jpg

Fixed the cheeks but lost the front lip

4264969694_4995cd6dfa_o.jpg

First curve stuck out too far so I fix that and then the chin to balance it

4264969722_947edb242f_o.jpg

4264969766_16090c17c4_o.jpg

Began rebuilding the front lip. I did this today

4264969826_0e6b54465d_o.jpg

and now I need to sand sand sand... lol

4264217875_e0d21b01a7_o.jpg

4264217933_ea209837ca_o.jpg

Now my Helmet updates are caught up. I hope these aren't too many pics.

Anywho please let me know what you guys think.

On and I have glassed and begun bondo work on my chest plate. I will update that tomorrow. Also I have been working on modeling and peping a new shoulder plate.

But progress it a bit slower than expected on that. But I will also update that tomorrow.

Pleas let me know what you guys think and while you are here check out the Chest Plate I modeled, unfolded, and peped.

Deathcoreknight said:
can i get link for the helm cant find it ?

Don't mean to double post but I wanted to answer you question. I haven't made it available yet. Mostly due to the fact that it really isn't ready yet.(If you read a couple of post before yours I explain why in more detail) But when I get an chance to fix it I will definitely post it up and let you know.

dude, your a damn fine modeler. you think after your suit you could rebuild some of the old school armor like halo1 mark V and marine?

rvb18 said:
dude, your a damn fine modeler. you think after your suit you could rebuild some of the old school armor like halo1 mark V and marine?

Hey lol thanks a lot man I am just trying to help out my fellow 405th members by making my models as game accurate and easy to make as possible.

And as for modeling other things. I don't know maybe. Right now I am just modeling things that I am actually using and making for my build. I am only making the parts that either aren't available or that I just feel weren't game accurate. (no offense to any modelers out there cause there are a lot of really great ones here at the 405th) Also I just like to make things my way sometimes lol.

I guess it kind of helps when you actually pep the model you made yourself first before before releasing it out to the public.

The chest plate took two full test peps and a couple different unfolds before I was satisfied but as soon as I find something wrong with the pep I just go back to the original 3d model and fix it. lol

Right now I am about to start working on my 3rd test pep shoulder plate file. I really just want to get it looking right and have all the kinks out before I release it. Hope it have it done soon for you guys. And for me lol I really want to keep my build moving along. Lol

Don't mean to Double post but I have an Update.

Although on a crummy note: my patio/backyard(I live in a condo) got broken into and my Dremels were stolen. Luckily thats all that was taken but those were the most expensive tools I had out there. Its really lousy timing too cause I recently lost my job so I won't be able to replace them for a while.

Well, I am not going to let the jerk/s who stole my stuff slow me down. I still have my sander, and my respirator!

So here is an update.

I got a pretty good amount of work done on my chest plate although for the last few days most of my time has been spent perfecting my New Game Accurate Shoulder Plate pep file. And I finally think I have got it right. Here are some pics of everything.

I resined, glassed, and began bondo work on the chest plate. Note: this is also a pep I created and unfolded

4264969286_65dbfd7eab_o.jpg

4264969610_86243957e7_o.jpg

Primer with first coat of Bondo on the sides.

4264217667_78987b2717_o.jpg

Bondoing the center part. I am about 80% done with this. Though I haven't gotten back to it since my stuff was taken.

4264969978_520118fb10_o.jpg

As for the new game accurate shoulder plate I made, I finished unfolding it earlier today and finished peping it a few hours ago. I went through a few fully peped testers to perfect the fit and proportion of the model, but it is finally done.

Here it is pep and being resined. I thought I took pics of it while I was peping it but the memory card wasn't in my camera. FML lol

4273498424_e0936e8aaf_o.jpg

4273498482_236ee177e0_o.jpg

And here is the pep file and

Download Link

4272753569_dd8f2d5cda_o.jpg

4272753613_749cb87d32_o.jpg

Its a bit wider than some of the other shoulder peps that are around because it is very true to the game. It has a lot of detail including a floater for the top beveled part. Also its one solid piece so you don't have to figure out how to make all the pieces stay in place.

Let me know what you guys think. I will probably start on the other one tomorrow and finish up the chest plate.

Also been working on learning how to sew( yeah only MANLY men know how) lol cause I want to make some of the soft armor functional. Like making the crotch plate into a type of pouch. More on that on the next update.

Thinking about removing the chest and shoulder pep downloads from this thread and making one in the Pepakura forum for them. What do you guys think?

Kirrou,

I think that's a great idea! I download, and am currently building your chestplate file and... Wow! This piece is fantastic. The build is easy to follow, and I don't find myself wondering where I left off when coming back to it from homework, lol. I'm looking forward to trying out your shoulder peice, and promise to send pics when my build is finished. In the meantime, definitely get your files up in the Creation threads. There are some amazing artists in there and I believe you deserve a seat amongst them. VERY clean work, Sir.

Best Wishes,

-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back