Knife making continues.

Spent my weekend on these two.

Hunter - five and a half inch blade. Black butt handle. Brass highlights.

General Purpose knife - (GP) /personal carry knife. Hammered finish spine and ricasso. Ancient eucalypt/box handle. 3,1/4 inch blade.

3Mfm6Js.jpg

D7BQDc6.jpg

I think it is time for you to try out for "Forged in Fire". It's on the History Chanel. W/ your work, you could be a contender.......10k in cash would help the Ironman suit...don't you think?

I think it is time for you to try out for "Forged in Fire". It's on the History Chanel. W/ your work, you could be a contender.......10k in cash would help the Ironman suit...don't you think?

:p

Except the suit is finished.

Moving on with the next project.....

A few pouches. Leather work is not something I really like, but I can't send razor sharp knives to people without something to protect them.

wO5aSDS.jpg

Changing/evolving my style a bit more. Going for five and a half inch hunters now. Liking this.

NcqUOVM.jpg

Four hunters.

4RhQpsA.jpg

MxNUyov.jpg

Found a couple of chunks of very old wood in a creek bed. This is how it turns out semi polished. The chunk on the ground is a diamond in the rough.

fNrUJy2.jpg

Bottom of a dead Banksia. Problem is, I don't know how long it's been dead for. Sanded and oiled a block to leave in the shed a few weeks and see if it warps or splits. Very pretty grain pattern. Might be good to stabilise.

Bpth2bW.jpg

More blades to help with the next big project. I've already started it, but I'll reveal a bit later when I've got something to show. In the meantime, these little babies have been helping me to get materials.

The latest four I spent my entire weekend making. The short one is one of the last short ones I'll be making.

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Eucalyptus handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

crVirOB.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Ancient blackbut stump handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

1L7GkYo.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Very old creek driftwood handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

jJCKUQk.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Ancient Eucalyptus handle. 3,1/4 inch blade.

q41IDGH.jpg

Just finished. Skinning knife. High carbon steel. Australian hardwoods, furnished with brass and G-10. Now available. Proceeds from this one go to the Viper project.

WZynocr.jpg

Two more done. I'm going to experiment with a mustard patina on one blade. The bottom one is blackbutt stump from West Aus. I need to fill the natural features with resin. The top one is ironwood.

O4QyzCZ.jpg

^^^ Thanks Matt. :D

The experimental mustard patinas worked out beautifully! One as a random splotch pattern, several layers, the other as a faux hamon, three layers.

jhFy99h.jpg

I had some fun forging out a Japanese kitchen knife for my wife for mothers day. This was a different style for me and under instruction from another talented knifemaker. Lots of fun!

BmRtgIZ.jpg

I finally forged out the second half of a 300 layer Damascus billet I made a couple of years back, into a knife. I'm pretty excited about where this knife is leading me. Because of a big stuff up with the acid etch earlier, (wrong acid - lost a lot of metal)I had to reshape the blade style from a hunter to an exotic fighter style. New style, new materials, different processes and techniques. Stay tuned for this fine collectors piece, (I hope.)

Sp5Afsa.jpg

t19UWkW.jpg

yyzkLoW.jpg

Just finished! Set of three, hammered finish, high-carbon kitchen knives. Teak handles with brass and G10 spacers.

Blade lengths are 205mm, 161mm and 134mm.

The teak is recycled bench tops from the Australian National University in Canberra. The reason teak is so valuable is for both for its elegance and its durability. Beyond its beauty, it also possesses some natural properties that other woods don't have. Google, "teak" to learn more. Amazing wood.

These three knives are the last ones to have my Baz stamp on them, so they will be collectors items one day. From now on, my blades will be stamped with the new stamp you see watermarked in the bottom right of the photo.

Mk2RD8i.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the idea of recycling bullet cases into something else. Yesterday I smelted a bucket of them down into two solid brass ingots, ready to machine flat and turn into knife guards.

Going to turn this lot into a couple of beautiful blades. Banksia on the right, eucalyptus burl on the left. These have been seasoning in my shed for years.

FN5Ij1s.jpg

lbDfwED.jpg

licHIxl.jpg

Experimenting with a leftover Damascus stub. Managed to forge it out without any delaminations into something useable. Handle from a dead branch of a Banksia I pruned a couple of years ago. Brass is recycled bullets cast into solid bar.

ajCGbN4.jpg

lgU69El.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back