Knife making continues.

I just don't know where you find the time.......You must be a time traveler or have a pocket hole dimension where time stops......teach me.....
Look at any time you are spending unproductively, even if it's only 20 minutes at a time. Watching TV? Waste of time. Sleeping in too long or going to bed too early? Waste of time. Playing a video game? Waste of time. etc etc etc.

A few I've been working on, including a Damascus kitchen knife I just finished tonight.

OTZ5WUb.jpg

5uUNALk.jpg

eipKIvO.jpg

4YmUOlj.jpg

qLME1tz.jpg

w3liare.jpg

mSOmBgq.jpg

iMIYoL9.jpg

klaEYzZ.jpg

Oh my gosh that is soooo pretty! I love how thick and smooth it is, rather than the tiny and varying line sizes and swirls! And the handle is also a work of art and a great compliment to the blade! Is the tang burnt into the handle or is there a cap not in the pictures?

Offcuts from the ends of Damascus, (*modern) billets.

I love these random chunks of metal. You don't know who made them or how they were made, how many layers or anything. Inspected through the bucket of stubs, looking for any that might be OK, then bash 'em out and see what you get. Some de-lamination here and there, but these are rejected off-cuts for a reason. Forged, ground and polished, then dropped in thick-as-mud, cheapo coffee overnight to see what happens in the morning.

Turned out OK.

*Modern Damascus - because so many keyboard warriors get precious about calling it Damascus.... Damascus steel - Wikipedia

The two steels are 1075 and 15n20. Essentially the same, but the 15n20 has a little bit of nickel in it. They are stacked in alternate layers, then hammered together while super heated, then manipulated into patterns, forged into a knife, ground, highly polished, then etched in ferric chloride, coffee or both. The steel with less nickel in it absorbs the stain of the coffee. Coffee is also acidic, so it etches the metal.

fAJZXsq.jpg

qFalWBY.jpg

R9BvczR.jpg

Terrifying. I've made a few billets from scratch before, under tuition from experienced operators, but today was my first time pattern welding, (modern Damascus) alone.

I have a twist billet of 16 layers that I made over a year ago now. Today I chopped it into into four lengths, re-stacked, (64 layers now) and squashed out into a dimension precise billet to stock-remove one big knife and it's guard, without further disrupting the pattern by forging the shape. I'm hoping to expose certain patterns as I grind the bevel geometries in.

Taking my time with this one. For me personally, it's a big investment in my personal development as a knife maker.

More to follow as I can.

The video shows me doing the first power hammer set after the initial press under a hydraulic press, subsequent heats and hammers were used to draw out the bar and size it width and thickness.

Original 16 layer twist billet.
PRujhjg.jpg

teP3uga.jpg

0G8uIf0.jpg

p6c0FDE.jpg

MAX8uL2.jpg

uz8fZCV.jpg

SfTsbKn.jpg

Terrifying. I've made a few billets from scratch before, under tuition from experienced operators, but today was my first time pattern welding, (modern Damascus) alone.

I have a twist billet of 16 layers that I made over a year ago now. Today I chopped it into into four lengths, re-stacked, (64 layers now) and squashed out into a dimension precise billet to stock-remove one big knife and it's guard, without further disrupting the pattern by forging the shape. I'm hoping to expose certain patterns as I grind the bevel geometries in.

Taking my time with this one. For me personally, it's a big investment in my personal development as a knife maker.

More to follow as I can.

The video shows me doing the first power hammer set after the initial press under a hydraulic press, subsequent heats and hammers were used to draw out the bar and size it width and thickness.

Original 16 layer twist billet.
View attachment 277173

View attachment 277174

View attachment 277175

View attachment 277176

View attachment 277177

View attachment 277178

View attachment 277179
Wow. You are so lucky to have the big tools! This is going to look soooo pretty! any specific designs or will it be the layered Damascus alone?

Thanks guys. The Viper is still on hold while I renovate my house and build the new hangar/workshop.

This place is where I work, but I get to use it after hours for personal development.

I have a specific knife design to make, which is why I had to restack the billet and make it a certain size.

Baz.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back