Knife making continues.

Still working on this advanced knife. I have a journeyman smith coaching me through this one, but unfortunately he can't be with me all the time to hover over my work. Much of it I have to work out for myself. Forged into shape, pre-heat treat grind, heat treated and tempered. I got it to hardness 59 rockwell. In the middle of post heat treat grinding now and taking it very carefully.

whJ0aQd.jpg

BqcLI6e.jpg

uFSvMC1.jpg

2LNiojf.jpg

JoFPgGz.jpg

FQ5zAcF.jpg

G9OKjOz.jpg

I also had to make a custom machete to smash down the blackberry I am constantly blocked by on my prospecting trips.

High carbon steel, hardened and tempered as per normal, but afterwards, given a spring temper by submerging the cutting edge in water and using a propane torch to blue the back. This one didn't have to look pretty, just do the job. I took it up to the goldfields last weekend and smashed my way through to the creek. Works a treat!

111gG7w.jpg

s4kwC7m.jpg

These are all so beautiful! I wish I had my own forge... how did you get such a dark color in your Damascus? Also, what type of wood is that? I love it!

I etched that particular blade with ammonium persulphate instead of my normal ferric chloride followed by coffee. It's the stuff they etch circuit boards with. Horrible stuff that can really mess up your knife. You have to mix it as weak as piss or it will eat your blade.

The Wood is beefwood/casuarina, (sheoak) olive and redgum.

Stepping up my game.

My first solo Bowie. Ten inch blade.

Just finished tonight after weeks of nervous and careful progress on this one.

This blade has been a real challenge. It has taken me outside my comfort zone a few times and I have spent a lot of time just looking at it at different stages, thinking before I did each stage. The wood is Gidgee and the blade is 5160 steel. My thanks to Jackson Rumble JS, for his coaching.

lEiPSnF.jpg

Stepping up my game.

My first solo Bowie. Ten inch blade.

Just finished tonight after weeks of nervous and careful progress on this one.

This blade has been a real challenge. It has taken me outside my comfort zone a few times and I have spent a lot of time just looking at it at different stages, thinking before I did each stage. The wood is Gidgee and the blade is 5160 steel. My thanks to Jackson Rumble JS, for his coaching.

View attachment 294845
If you dont mind me asking, what was it that was out of your comfort zone?

The grind of the clip along the top. Bedding the tang so that it could be removed and replaced exactly, while I forged the curves in the guard, drilling the tang inside the handle, not being able to see it, among others.
Well the work and craftsmanship definatly shows! The tank and handle are gorgeous and the blade itself is so clean. Beutiful work as always!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back