Knife making continues.

Great work! Nice contrast in the Damascus, what’s your steel mix?

If you ever want some TX/US woods for handles, let me know. I have AZ Ironwood, mesquite, agarita, and several others. Everything is stabilized, except the ironwood. Not sure what import laws you have on wood, though.

Great work! Nice contrast in the Damascus, what’s your steel mix?

If you ever want some TX/US woods for handles, let me know. I have AZ Ironwood, mesquite, agarita, and several others. Everything is stabilized, except the ironwood. Not sure what import laws you have on wood, though.
Thanks mate. I'm using 1075 and 15n20. Yeah, wood is expensive enough here, without USPS robbery.

Baz.

Finished this one about 2am this morning.

j4qMph4.jpg

dMjilG0.jpg

DUNE Crysknife complete. I've already cut myself twice on it. This forged blade and hand carved handle has been an interesting one. "Organic" has often been a word used in knifemaking, as an excuse for lack of precision, faults, inconsistencies and bad symmetry. This blade had been difficult because that is exactly what it is supposed to be. "The tooth of a worm." A fictional beast with ten thousand giant teeth in it's mouth - no two the same. Curves, texture, follicles and wear from consuming whatever they did. Then to put it in the hand of a fighting native combatant of the harsh deserts. "May thy knife chip and shatter", the ritual taunt before hand to hand combat. This blade should be anything but clean, straight and pretty. I may have to put some visible chips in the edge after sharpening.

I've been making knives for a few years now and have lately become increasingly bored with many of the same things over and over again.

Looking to step up not just one, but a few notches, I decided to look for bladesmiths and their knives to emulate. Kyle Royer, MS visited us at a knife show a couple of years ago and I was inspired by his exquisite work. After watching a few of his youtube videos, I thought I'd at least have a go.

Using spring steel, some Banksia wood and a stainless steel bolt from my scrap pile, I set to a daunting, but exciting 12 inch take-down Bowie knife.

ndSaxMR.jpg

kv4RlcR.jpg

VUHkMFh.jpg

FrfiFsB.jpg

XLkG7In.jpg

DUNE Crysknife complete. I've already cut myself twice on it. This forged blade and hand carved handle has been an interesting one. "Organic" has often been a word used in knifemaking, as an excuse for lack of precision, faults, inconsistencies and bad symmetry. This blade had been difficult because that is exactly what it is supposed to be. "The tooth of a worm." A fictional beast with ten thousand giant teeth in it's mouth - no two the same. Curves, texture, follicles and wear from consuming whatever they did. Then to put it in the hand of a fighting native combatant of the harsh deserts. "May thy knife chip and shatter", the ritual taunt before hand to hand combat. This blade should be anything but clean, straight and pretty. I may have to put some visible chips in the edge after sharpening.

That is freaking sharp, wow!

Ah I understand. I guess as someone who works the railroad, it was something I was interested if it could be done.
I've seen it done. I just don't know how the finished knife would hold up against the proper knife steels, when it comes to grain structure that effects toughness and edge-holding harder, does not always mean better.

Baz.

I've seen it done. I just don't know how the finished knife would hold up against the proper knife steels, when it comes to grain structure that effects toughness and edge-holding harder, does not always mean better.

Baz.
I understand regarding metal strength, I guess I was more curious about an aesthetic aspect. Still great work man! Keep it up!

Kevjohn Looking for something to defend against those old- time train robbers, eh? Heh heh.

Sandbagger: may have been asked before, don't ferment... have you ever been in a forge competition? Like, forged- in- steel, or whatever?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back