Knives, lasers, armor, and various projects from over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

btac

Well seeing as how I'm locked out of posting in any other forum and I'm trying to make infantryman status... I guess I have to post stuff in the noob forum.

I'll throw a bunch of pics of my various projects, some of them finished, some of them works in progress, along with some useful info here and there.

I have a ton of other pictures on various computers, unfortunately all the really fun pictures are either prohibited from being posted due to NDA's and military classification etc etc.

1.jpg

I guess I'll start off by posting some pics of my personal workshop, which is a work in progress, still in the process of getting the heavy machinery moved in, the big new project is making the 10'x20' fabrication table, and getting the CNC plasma cutter relocated.

2.jpg

3.jpg

That's a nice looking workshop. I would kill to have that kind of room. Looks pretty well stocked also. Most shops this size are unfinished on the inside. I like the wood burning stove and overhead fans. I always question people that spend $40,000 on a really nice shop and leave the inside walls unfinished.

4.jpg
[/CENTER]

Here is a spine armor plate project I started working on after injuring my spine... I bend over to pick something up, not realizing how close i was to a sharp corner on a machine, stood up, and got jabbed right between my vertebrae. I'm going to be drilling holes in the plates, running a length of stainless cable up each side, and then riveting the top of each plate to a heavy leather strip, which will be sewn into a pair of work coveralls, with elbow and knee pads sewn in. The armor is all 321 titanium stabilized stainless steel, 18 gauge thickness, once formed you can stomp on it and it wont deform.

5.jpg
[/CENTER]
Heres a leaf blade dagger I made for a girl I was going out with at the time... Spring steel blade hand forged, copper hand guard, mahogany handle, aluminum machined pommel, very light, and agile.

6.jpg
[/CENTER]

13.jpg
[/CENTER]
This is an "elven dagger" I started to make for the same girl, never got to finish it, handle is mahogany again, this time wrapped with heavy silver wire, which was going to have inlayed silver leaves carved into relieve pockets, antiqued, and then covered in about a million coats of lacquer.

I recently decided to turn it into this:

14.jpg
[/CENTER]

Molded composite reinforced grip, with a toad skin texture as I call it, blades going to be sand blasted, parkerized, and then the whole thing is going to be painted in a woodland digital camo.

15.jpg
[/CENTER]

That's a nice looking workshop. I would kill to have that kind of room. Looks pretty well stocked also. Most shops this size are unfinished on the inside. I like the wood burning stove and overhead fans. I always question people that spend $40,000 on a really nice shop and leave the inside walls unfinished.

Thanks, still a ton of stuff to do, going to take a while to get everything just the way i like it.

Its actually really well insulated too, even when it was -15 at night it never went below 45 in there at night without any heat. I'm not sure if thats just because it has a huge slab and Im getting warmth from the ground or if they decided to build it over some spot they dumped nuclear waste haha.

Funny story there is a pile of crushed stone in the back that has gold and all kinds of quarts, amethyst, and other interesting mineral formations. Its not enough gold to be commercially viable to extract but we actually sat down, ground up a small rock, processed it, and got a fleck of gold in the end, which was fun. The material came from a nearby quarry which is actually using rocks that were deposited in a valley from the last glacier to go through in the ice age. And no the gold isnt iron pyrite, we have some of that too, we know what we're doing ;)

This stuff is pretty cool! I always envied those who could create daggers and knives and the like. Show us more!

Here's yet another knife I made for a girl I was going out with... I dont know if all girls like knives or if I just get the crazy ones... Actually I know damn well I get all the crazy ones.

7.jpg

Kind of a heavy duty 5160 spring steel tanto, solid 1 piece copper habaki blade fitting.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sitting next to one of my katanas

10a.jpg

a few little cherry blossom handle decorations I was sculpting, which were to be layed under the silk wrap on the finished blade. It was going to have a dark purple lacquer with silver leaf blossom pattern on the scabbard, silver handle fittings, and matching purple silk.

11.jpg

12.jpg

The shirasaya unfinished wood handle and scabbard I made for it, carved from poplar.

I'm pretty excited to see what you come up with. Looks like you aren't fooling around. Moar Picshurs!! Lol. Welcome aboard!

-Tony

Heres one of my more recent set of sculptures. A pair of hands, that were then molded, and the molds are being used to make ballistic gel figures for all kinds of fun testing... Like demonstrating what happens to a hand if you got shot with a shotgun... or held onto a m80 for a little too long...

16.jpg

Closed fist

17.jpg

Open palm. They are life size and as accurate as necessary, obviously some compromises were made to ensure the finished gelatin product would de-mold nicely.

18.jpg

Ah my favorite one :D Probably not very many people can say they've eaten chunks of exploded jello hands.

19.jpg

Here's one of my custom machined, custom made bluray lasers, building lasers is a hobby of mine, working on a batch of green ones at the moment, all diode pumped solid state. The gas lasers I cant show due to NDA's.

20.jpg

Here's a "laser sword" laser housing. God forbid Lucasfilms ltd hears anything described in any other way.

21.jpg

Some various laser cases machined from 6061 aluminum & keychains.

23.jpg

I also do some metal sculpture here and there, this is a large stainless steel stargazer lilly I made, about 12" across, maybe 14", I forget. The blossom is pretty accurate but I had to comprimise with the rest since the thing would be over 7' tall if I made it all to natural proportions, so it just got kind of a generic cartoonized flower stem and leaf base.

22.JPG

Here it is, in its glory. Apparently women like these more than knives, who would have figured.

Ok ran out of pictures in my desktop folder, have to go scrounge up some more, will probably post more tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments... and no I definitely don't mess around :D

I'm Afraid I can not confirm, nor deny anything.

If I told you anything, they'd just erase your memory anyway :p

Dude, that work is amazing O: Also, this may seem a bit insensitive... but I can't see the good side in giving knoves to crazy women xD

Still, awesome work. I expecially like the elven dagger.

Dude, that work is amazing O: Also, this may seem a bit insensitive... but I can't see the good side in giving knoves to crazy women xD

Still, awesome work. I expecially like the elven dagger.

Thanks, Hahahaha yea that's very true... that's why I always make sure to take them back before breaking up...

Are your knives balanced? I'm just wondering if we will see some throwing knives a little later in the thread.

Are your knives balanced? I'm just wondering if we will see some throwing knives a little later in the thread.

Funny you should mention that, I have one sitting next to my keyboard, I'll take a pic along with a few other things laying around.

If your halo props look half as good as the stuff you are posting now, you are going to end up in the elite forums before you know it.

24.jpg

Here's the little thrower, 6.5" long, keep it next to my keyboard in case any giant spiders show themselves, have terrible spiders here, a normal size one is about 2" across, which I plink with the airsoft gun. Though the airsoft gun just makes the big ones angry, if you dont kill them days later they sneak back and bite you in your sleep.

29.jpg

This bastard was about 4" across.

33.JPG

The thing its eating is a hornet...

25.jpg

Some of the interesting rocks from out back, some have actual gold, the rest are a mix of mica, iron pyrite, and garnet.
28.jpg

30.JPG

Here's some shields I threw together for halloween back ages ago

31.JPG

Some more "laser swords" for a fan film
32.JPG

Ranging from single hand to dual bladed, the dual bladed one isnt complete in that picture.
Final sparing blades were spring tempered aluminum arrow shafts covered in carbon fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back