Latex Na'vi Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc halo3

The other day while pre-ordering avatar at my local DVD store they gave me a little avatar survival guide that came free with preorder, it got me thinking that maybe a na'vi suit isn't so far off. If 405th Cortana made her uhh.. Cortana suit with latex than if with a good latex suit plus a excellent pressurised spray brush with interchangeable size heads for better detailing along with prescision skills would equal a na'vi suit than if armor was made (Shoulder armor and greaves like they wear) withj pep you na'vi suit would be complete, but along with about 3 months of working out to burn off fat and shaped your abs for a perfect body would make it better.

I've re-worked my schedule to do this in august which is my pep break month , I'm already super fit (a billboard body is unbeatable) so that would compile with things i should have a prototype ready in about 5 months to show you people. For fan sake though.

One very minor ( ok really massive) problem, for latex that would suit the na'vi suit would be incredibly un-comfortable running in this suit that makes the long-haired wig you're wearing get stuck on the latex time after time = CRAP so if you have any ideas that would counteract this please post.

Oh an my t-46d is nearing full upperbody completion ( wish i still had my camera ).

//MJOLNIR|VIRGIL\\.

Well I don't know too much about Latex, I know you will need to make a complete body cast to do it with but that's about all I know.

Nintendude said:
Well I don't know too much about Latex, I know you will need to make a complete body cast to do it with but that's about all I know.

Maybe Ithica knows a little more, I'll chuck him a PM tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some people use blue body suits, blue makeup, nose and ear prosthetics, and the like to make Avatar costumes. Na'vi would be more difficult, since Na'vi only have 4 fingers per hand, not 5. I would definitely choose airbrushed lycra/spandex over latex, though. Cheaper, and less sweaty.

You could also get a full body tattoo... I've seen one guy who got the bioluminescent "freckles" tattooed in UV ink. Looks pretty cool.

Well the whole entire thing is computer generated so if you still want to make it I would go with Achille's idea. Does anybody know when the Avatar Blu-ray move is coming out?

you wouldnt need to use latex just by spandex like they use in spiderman suits and just paint on the details

Achille said:
I've seen some people use blue body suits, blue makeup, nose and ear prosthetics, and the like to make Avatar costumes. Na'vi would be more difficult, since Na'vi only have 4 fingers per hand, not 5. I would definitely choose airbrushed lycra/spandex over latex, though. Cheaper, and less sweaty.

You could also get a full body tattoo... I've seen one guy who got the bioluminescent "freckles" tattooed in UV ink. Looks pretty cool.

Damn Achilles you know everything but your idea is very smart, though the age for getting a tattoo in AUS is 18 ( im 15 :( ), But since Na'vi people have massive middle finger fitting 2 finger in one socket is cool.

Now how to solve the bulge problem that would show through Spandex/lycra/latex?

Oh and in Australia Avatar comes (dont laugh) out in April 29.

mjolnir follower said:
Now how to solve the bulge problem that would show through Spandex/lycra/latex?

Perhaps making a larger version of a thumb tip to be placed inside a lycra glove would work. That's how I would do it. Get a plastic dowel, round off one end, and dip it in silicone or latex. Repeat the dipping until you have a good thickness built up, take out the dowel, and insert your tube into the glove.

Achille said:
Perhaps making a larger version of a thumb tip to be placed inside a lycra glove would work. That's how I would do it. Get a plastic dowel, round off one end, and dip it in silicone or latex. Repeat the dipping until you have a good thickness built up, take out the dowel, and insert your tube into the glove.

i might just have a dirty mind, but i thought he was reffering further south

iSUPERNOOB said:
i might just have a dirty mind, but i thought he was reffering further south

Same, espicially when he said "Tube".

I saw your post and just wanted to add that if your costume needs any prosthetics, I make them professionally and sell them in my webstore REELMAGIK, and on Ebay. I have the Na'vi face/nose prosthetic, as well as ears and a make-up kit. You can purchase them here:

WEBSTORE

or here:

EBAY

Here are a few photos also:

Navi-4-1.jpg
NaviFemale-1.jpg
Navi-small4.jpg

Check them out or spread the word to anyone who might be interested. Thanks!

@REELMAGIK

Thanks for the nice Ad there but don't go around spreading topics for that only unless its like a W,I,P people get banned for that shiee. anyway ill look into it.

Word of advice, unless you plan to keep the latex suit well oiled, stored properly, and intend to be very uncomfortable, AVOID LATEX! It is way more fuss and muss than needs be. Spandex would work just fine, and you can actually paint on it. Latex is also way too shiny to look like skin, and for a full suit it's gonna run you about $400+, whereas a custom fitted spandex suit would run you around $60. There is a site that I highly recommend because they do alot of custom work, and they are really affordable:

BodyWeaver.com

I'm sure you could shoot them an email and see what they could do for you for a Na'vi suit. :)

{Cortana said:
Word of advice, unless you plan to keep the latex suit well oiled, stored properly, and intend to be very uncomfortable, AVOID LATEX! It is way more fuss and muss than needs be. Spandex would work just fine, and you can actually paint on it. Latex is also way too shiny to look like skin, and for a full suit it's gonna run you about $400+, whereas a custom fitted spandex suit would run you around $60. There is a site that I highly recommend because they do alot of custom work, and they are really affordable:

BodyWeaver.com

I'm sure you could shoot them an email and see what they could do for you for a Na'vi suit. :)

Wow thanks Cortana, I'll check it out later today when i get some time. I guess getting advice from someone dealed with this stuff alot is the best. Thanks to all for your advice.

mjolnir follower said:
Wow thanks Cortana, I'll check it out later today when i get some time. I guess getting advice from someone dealed with this stuff alot is the best. Thanks to all for your advice.

It's no problem at all. :) If you need anything else, just shoot me a PM.

Jake's Na'vi body had human hands and feet. You won't have to worry much about that part...unless you want to look like the natives.

Queen said:
Jake's Na'vi body had human hands and feet. You won't have to worry much about that part...unless you want to look like the natives.

That's a very good point. And then if you go to a con and someone asks why you have human hands and feet, you can just say to them, "I am an avatar, not a native Na'vi." :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back