Leaving because of the Noob Apocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSpartan177

Hey Guys, well I will keep it short so, the thing is I'm going to leave the site because this Noob Apocalypse is just pissing me off.

I will still be lurking around for files and checking other threads, and I may comeback if I see the noob level go down, because right now its at its highest.

So for any Trollin Little kid here in the site, All I have say to you is,

Because of your annoying type, you just lost one valuable member that could of taught you many things, but because you are to lazy to learn or you are just here being a typical retard and asking questions in every single thread, but you are doing that because you are never gonna make armor. You are just here trollin and asking but you know you are never gonna make armor, so for that Im leaving.

And for now Im going to hide in my Anti-Noob shelter and shoot some noobs and make some armor.

See yah in a couple of months, Guys

Sincerely
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that alex, and I agree. We need to shut down the new account creation for a couple of months. the site can still be available, but new people cannot join. Or instead, just make a whole new website with tutorials instead of having it in the forums.

i dont know if you've been recieving a ton of pm's from these kids but there is an easy solution to this, answer based on knowledge. if they've done some research and are having problems then help out but if they are just saying "howz i mak armor" or "where iz teh files, i want now" then just ignore their threads. chances are that they wont make it to infantryman to bother everyone else. their lazyness isnt a reason to leave. people like that are everywhere, and quite frankly you cant hide in your bunker forever.
we've lost too many people because of this and i dont want to see anyone else go.

I have to a agree a little on the "can I have" issue.. I have had a few pm's of single post level folks asking. I usually attempt to welcome or answer noob questions for I too was a noob just months ago..

I think every person has in there mind when they see halo or any costume armor that its an easy thing to just build. I can't say that this site has a full time librarian to keep things organized but I do agree it seems folks do not attempt to read or search through things versus just posting the same questions. I think there is a wide range of ages that also seems to determine the level of quality questions versus a Jar Jar Binks styled "kan miza have a jorge file?". I am not even making Jorge and I got a pm like that!

I wish you a good little vacation away from the noobpocalypse. Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Alex, hopefully we'll see you again in time. As far as noobs go, I answer their questions thoroughly as best to my ability in their PMs. A lot of times I get "Oh hye howd did u make ur emile costum, wat files u use?" I do not use pepakura because all my props and suits are scratchbuilt by hand. This further leads on questions of whether I can make a step by step tutorial regarding scratchbuilding -.-. In all honesty though, if someone does not have the attention span or ability to look at the stickies clearly posted at the top of the page of every forum that clearly states their answers and clearly has an orientation video, then they should not be making armor. If they're not willing to read up and learn, then they're not going to be making any progress with their desires to build. It's a long, strenuous process of blood, sweat, and tears. Some people just want the quick way through that. That's not to say that there are some noobs that are doing some amazing work. I've seen some great carter, jorge, and jun builds in the noob forum. The typical 12 year old kid not wiling to use the search function or do some reading is rather just to be ignored.

Totally agree with with Wvision. Some people think it's easy as 1..2..3. well they've got another thing comin. I started getting my know how together Before I started to build my armor. I'm gettin decent at unfolding. I'm not a straight Halo armor builder. I got 2 PMs asking on how to size armor, Hell I just figured it out my self. I told them to read the turorials, and quit buggin people personally, the stickies are there to help them. 1 pm even asked if I could let them use my pass to save on pep. That would be a no go.

Honestly there should be 2 sections, noobs and modelers. The noobs can read up on what the modeler are doing but not flood them with questions until they've reach a status that proves they'e done their homework.

Hate to lose another modeler till things die down.

Also on my builds I put my hours to complete a task. That way a reader gets some concept of what there gonna get themselves into trying to build what I did. But then again if they don't read and that seems to be a high percent at the moment then I guess they get a rude awakening, wasted time and crooked pep work. Heh!

Not all noobs are like that and shutting down new membership for a few months would not help this site in the least...in fact, it would harm it terribly. We all start off as noobs, and there are those who genuinely need advice and that would do nothing but discourage them and give us a black eye in the PR department. All I can say is ignore the trolls and helps those that seem geniune. You can tell the difference. If they are too damn lazy to even try using the search feature, then they are obviously someone who doesn't truely need the help because they will be too damn lazy to even start on their armour. There used to be a few site that we in the armouring community that developed that type of attitude and they are no longer with us today.

Remember, 'Reach' just came out and there are going to be a lot of folks out there ( especially kids) that will want to look into building a suit of armour. The ones who are not serious about it will fall to the wayside soon enough and things will settle down. Shoot, I'm still a noob when it comes to this type of armour despite the fact that I have made medieval arms and armour for many years now, and if I had come here and saw that new members were not welcome then I would have told the whole freaking world what a big bunch of stuck-up jerks dwelled here. I have discovered this to be a great site with lots of friendly folks who geniunely want to help others with their interests.

There is a maxum that retailers and buisness folks use: Make one customer happy and you'll win ten others. Make one customer unhappy and you'll lose one hundred. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, Sorry guys
I wont be here that much anymore, just reading noob posts piss me off.

I will still post on the AR thread, but once in a while to show you guys its still in the progress, but Im not gonna answer PMs or post in threads anymore until the noob level goes down.

And I would really love a Veteran exclusive forum. This will keep the noobs from spamming other threads and from noobs stealing files.
And the good files, exclusive to good members.

So, Like I said, I wont be here that much anymore, the noobishness around the forum just pisses me off.

Ive been on 405th for about 6 months and i believe that the new people should just look in the noob forums & youtube kidda I did and I leaned how to make my first helmet in a 2 day.

This happens every time around the release of a new game. Reach is new, so we have new noobs. I tried to leave once, but I got sucked back in :D I just can't stay away lol.

Shutting down new registrations is not a good thing. We have mods here that do a great job directing noobs to the correct tutorials. Let them do their job. All of the report functions seem to be working correctly, if there is a problem with a member, let a mod know. That's what they are here for. I get tired of telling people to read the stickies too, just keep doing it and the behavior will be less of an issue, as new noobs learn from others' mistakes.

One issue with this site, is it is uber search engine friendly, so most noobs don't even see the welcome page. Our job as responsible members is to lead the newbies in the right direction. Be courteous and friendly, and you will get friendly responses in turn. I understand your anger and frustration, but leaving is going to frustrate you more. The "apocolypse" will calm down and return to normal.

I agree.. Closing the noob section is not the answer. I think responding to valid well thought out questions and ignoring the short " can I have " with only 1 or 2 posts to there name would be the better way to do it. I would have never been able to get as far as I have if this place just closed the noob section down at the time I joined up. Just getting to 100 posts made me realize that I needed to contribute quality not quantity to the 405th.

I am one in that group that Reach did inspire me to build armor. The last couple games expanded the selection and variation of armor that the Halo world now has to offer.

Maybe it's because I dont have any new projects posted, but I haven't really had a problem. They ask their questions, and if its not specific, then don't answer. No one is forcing you to type. Perhaps a better solution would be for the mods to make it mandatory to be a member for a few days, or even a week, before someone new can make a post. PMs should be tuned off until someone had about fifty posts, that way no one gets PMs that they don't want.

We really shouldn't turn them away though, some of them go out and create really good armor, and then become good enough or try something new that no one knows about. Then the older members become the students. We need the new guys to keep our community growing, and if they are really bothering you, it is an option to turn off the private messages too.

I agree with Lord Talon, shutting out new members would be a horrible idea. As Adam said, this is a community of armor and prop makers that are here to do just that, and help others get into the hobby also. I agree that we should not hold their hands the whole time, but shunning them is not the answer.

Honestly, what did you expect would happen with the 405th started getting more recognition from Bungie and Microsoft? (Waypoint video's and pics, and magazine articles) People see this, and think to themselves that it would be awesome to make a suit, so they join, but they don't know where to start. Granted, most are just those doing it on a whim, and think it will be cheap and fast and they don't want to read anything. This doesn't mean that we should just stop letting people in.

Don't forget, everyone was a noob here at one point or another. All the complaining about noob's is really making this community seem full of jerks and is going to give us a bad name. If you don't want to help new people, that is your choice, you can ignore them just as easily as making a whole thread about it.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but it is the truth. You can't honestly tell me that you have never asked for help with anything in your life? Think about it for a bit. And keep in mind, that some people, especially the younger ones, don't really know how to ask. Maybe they read through a bunch of stickies and are still confused.

Really I shouldn't be writing this, because I don't want to get pulled in, but I think some of the "Infantrymen" here really need to take a step back and ask themselves why they are really here. Are you here to share you passion and your projects with others and help them learn? Or are you here to flaunt your talents and show off, and the second people start asking for help, you get irritated and fly off the handle.

Anyway, I'm done with my rant, and I hope you will see the reasoning here and let this sink in before this thread gets bombarded with nasty replies.

Thanks for you time.

Thom

REALLY BIG POST

Actually I remember back in in the transition between 2008 and 2009 Adam shut down the new account creation and it was heaven on earth for 3 months. The reason why this site had to be victim to a crippling hacker attack was because of the thousands of nopobs creating acounts and leaving make this a nice target for such attacks. I am sad to see a friend like alex leave, remebering when he joined and how much he learned and how I was impressed.

Please take my comments as kindness, not as a rant. I am a noob. Proud to say it. I was and still am being mentored by privateer. I can understand the frustration. I am a full time tattooer after 12 years in the game industry, and questions do come. The thing about this site i love, besides seeing all the beautiful armor, is the vids showing "how to". I know they are alot of work, this hobby in general is a steep learning curve. I was "told" at the begining to not even ask questions, search,read,learn and shut up until it was realy needed. I have also found the stickies are an awesome resource as well as the overdriven search engine. I hate to see a talented person withhold "pearls of wisdom", but i can completely understand the need for a break. I wish you luck on your new projects and hope to see something cool from you soon. I will keep trying to learn and do more myself.

end rant.

Please take my comments as kindness, not as a rant. I am a noob. Proud to say it. I was and still am being mentored by privateer. I can understand the frustration. I am a full time tattooer after 12 years in the game industry, and questions do come. The thing about this site i love, besides seeing all the beautiful armor, is the vids showing "how to". I know they are alot of work, this hobby in general is a steep learning curve. I was "told" at the begining to not even ask questions, search,read,learn and shut up until it was realy needed. I have also found the stickies are an awesome resource as well as the overdriven search engine. I hate to see a talented person withhold "pearls of wisdom", but i can completely understand the need for a break. I wish you luck on your new projects and hope to see something cool from you soon. I will keep trying to learn and do more myself.

end rant.

that was beautiful...you sir are no noob, just because you are new and being mentored doesnt make you a noob, you read the stickys, watched the vids, understood the "search read learn, and shut up until it was needed" system, i applaud you for being a model "new member" (i cant bring myself to call you a noob:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back