Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

BishopX

We've officially started the Mark VI Master Chief Helmet project. We've received the CNC'd foam Mark VI helmet parts. These will be cleaned up into a master and then molded in the end. We are posting here in the noob forum since we cannot post in the Creation Forum.

Although the output is very low detail, it will provide a perfect base for symmetry and proportion.
Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2001.JPG

Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2008.jpg

We've Autocad and water jet cut some aluminum pieces that will be used as detail for the helmet master.
Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2005.JPG

Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2006.jpg

We will be going fast on this project so stay tuned.....

P.S. The rotocaster is scheduled to arrive in the first week of January. Bam!

Bishopx & Slavefive

BishopX said:
We've officially started the Mark VI Master Chief Helmet project. We've received the CNC'd foam Mark VI helmet parts. These will be cleaned up into a master and then molded in the end. We are posting here in the noob forum since we cannot post in the Creation Forum.

We will be going fast on this project so stay tuned.....

P.S. The rotocaster is scheduled to arrive in the first week of January. Bam!

Bishopx & Slavefive

Wow fast doesn't even begin to describe this!
Looks awesome so far, I'll be anxiously awaiting to see its progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
This look really professional and it looks like your of on a great start, its nice to see that people are looking for alternatives to make helmets.

You should ask Adam/Doom for a exception for the 50 post rule, for some people that take Costume making serious the make that exception.

It's okay. I don't mind it here in the noob room. Building is what we do. We are propmakers in the film industry and do this on a regular day to day basis. This is fun stuff for us when we work on our own personal interests.

Wait until you see the MA5C project...

this is great, sure will provide a good base for sculpting. I wish I had a CNC router.

Yeah. I'm pumped about this project. This will be fun and for once we've got time to do this since we in the midst of a writer's strike. The film industry is choppy right now.

This will be the rear helmet plate and inner helmet padding. The padding will be cast in a soft self skinning foam and then covered with breathable fabric. I'm thinking a nice Egyptian silk......just kidding. Some sort of breathable fabric though.

Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2007.jpg

Here's a question.... There are a couple ways of doing the visor.

1. Gold Chrome, off-the-shelf motorcycle visor (cheap) $25.00
2. 2 Gold Chrome, off the shelf motorcycle visors. Cut and assemble (economical) $50.00 ?
C. Vacuum formed visor and custom coated (expensive but baddass!) $250.00 ?

Yes I am aware that I counted 1,2,C....I'm being an Azz

My preference is to go ahead and cnc the master vacuum form buck and go the expensive way. That's just me though. I want it awesome not just close.

What do you guys think.

BishopX said:

2. 2 Gold Chrome, off the shelf motorcycle visors. Cut and assemble (economical) $50.00 ?

My preference is to go ahead and cnc the master vacuum form buck and go the expensive way. That's just me though. I want it awesome not just close.

What do you guys think.

Well option C ( :D ) is nice, but the result wouldn't be that much different of option 2. Option 2 is a proved one. The result can be excellent (look at Blue Realms Visor), especially if you got a good CNC machine. I cant wait to see the MA5C

But i have really no idea what that last part is, i cant recognize the part that comes out of the foam. I do recognize the lower part as the entry to the helmet.

falcon NL said:
But i have really no idea what that last part is, i cant recognize the part that comes out of the foam. I do recognize the lower part as the entry to the helmet.

The ribbed area below is the padding around your jaw line. There will actually be padding in the upper portions of the helmet as well but I need to get a little further into the project first. We done a lot of visors in our days and the vendor who can coat these can make them beautiful. The problem is that will probably get reamed cost wise. For my personal helmet, I would love to have it vac formed and as intended. The two layer thing is always an option.

Hopefully our costumes will be done in time for the Comic Con. That's our real goal here. 6 months away.

I am in process for building a home made CNC machine from the website instructable.com

There you can build one they say for about 200 bucks

WOW great start especially with a CNC machine, I have access to one, but since its for a company and they constantly make parts I dont think that I can have access to it very soon.

BishopX said:

What do you guys think.

I don't know what kind of funds you're thinking of sinking into your project, but I would love to see you go the expensive way ( C ). If you managed to achieve the compound curve of Master Chief's helmet, that would be something a lot of us have been waiting to see. Option 2 is a proven method, but if you could pull off option C.... :shudder:

This is by far the most expensive costumes that we have made for ourselves. By the time we are done, I have no doubt that we will be in the range of $25000.00 total spent on these costumes. I know.....I know.....

that will definately make you the winner cost-wise. None of us have spent that much.... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back