Props "legendary" combat knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also buy a cheap thin rubber car mat.it has the small ridges and you could cut and wrap the handle with that glue seam with rubber adhesive.

Hey,
Ok this is my first posting but I couldn't help thinkin I might have an idea that works. Awhile ago I found this old school kinda tape that's leather and sticky on one side. It's the kinda tape that they used to use on old school bike handles, you know the ones that kinda the tape that wrapped around the handles and mades ridges? That stuff would be nice and give the handles a good feeling when you handle them.

silvercookies idea is great (coming from a tennis player) racquet tape would werk perfectly. plus there are many different sizes and textures to choose from.

Im working on a pistol right now,and for my grip im using rubber splicing tape,its pretty cheap, and doesnt look perfect,but just thought id throw it out there. :)

Well guys i'm back after a long busy summer, it all feels natural again, anyways I don't mean to intrude on your post but since we are making combat knives i didnt want to create anothe needless thread. I actuall made my knife over ther summer but never got around to posting it up on here. I think it falls somewhere around 13-14" long which i think is pretty close to the original (assuming your vectoring is a replica size). Anyways now for the sweet stuff,
These are the progress pics i took while making it:

MVC-354F.jpg

MVC-355F.jpg

MVC-357F.jpg

MVC-358F.jpg

MVC-359F.jpg

MVC-360F.jpg

MVC-361F.jpg

MVC-362F.jpg

MVC-363F.jpg

MVC-364F.jpg

MVC-366F.jpg

MVC-367F.jpg

MVC-368F.jpg

MVC-369F.jpg

I would have a finished picture up here for u guys to enjoy but my rents thought i made too many weapons so it got thrown out. atleast i still have the grip.

dude if it werent for these pics nd the info you gave i wouldnt have been able to make my own knives thanx alot! also i was wondering if you had more accurate dimensions more in the blade area like how thick it is cuz my friend has been giving me crap about how 1/4" sheet metal isnt going to cut it but i read that you were going to use it so... if you have a more accurate thickness plz lemme know if you dont no biggie youve helped me out more than enough already! thanx again!

The OP's knives are pretty decent. I have a friend who made a pretty sweet bigknife/machete with recently.. Basically he had some 1/4" steel, some bizarre grade used in bridge building competitions, ground that into a blade with tang, heat treated it, then cast a handle around it out of aluminum after drilling a couple holes in the tang. It weighs at least 6 pounds.

You could use the same method of construction to make these, just add a plastic coating to the handle. PlastiDip might even work if you could thin it down somehow.

..If you used this method, you'd have a blade that would hold an edge, and otherwise be almost exactly like the Halo ones. Couldn't take it to a con, though, better stick to painted wood for that.

Vrogy said:
..If you used this method, you'd have a blade that would hold an edge, and otherwise be almost exactly like the Halo ones. Couldn't take it to a con, though, better stick to painted wood for that.

Is that how it works in the US? Pretty sure you can take metal to cons here, so long as you have it permanently peace-bonded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nomadic Spoon said:
Is that how it works in the US? Pretty sure you can take metal to cons here, so long as you have it permanently peace-bonded.

Well, there's not a good way to peace-bond a thick, machete-like steel blade.. the only thing I can imagine is that they'd cover it with bright zip ties, which would leave the tip free.. and it'd still be an excellent bludgeoning weapon. I guess a real combat knife would be too dangerous to take to a con, resin or wood ones would probably be better..

And it's not exactly like it can be ziptied to a scabbard, there is no scabbard from what I've seen..

True enough, it was just a general statement.

I took a pair of thieves' knives for my Zidane costume to Toronto once, and as long as they were stuck on my belt, they didn't mind.

Best bet is to call the con you want to go to, or look on their website, and figure out their regulations on weaponry.

silvercookie said:
what about the tape that they wrap tennis rackett handles with. like vibration dampning tape?

If you want to use the wood handles you already have, this is a good idea to cover them. You can split the wood into two halves easy enough and then use the racket grip tape. It's relatively inexpensive, like $9-$15, depending what you get.

Sorry for taking so long, but I haven't been able to get materials yet. I plan to make the entire blade out of 1/4'' steel and grind an edge onto it. i'll then cast a resin grip straight onto it and coat the guard and pommel eith something to give the appearance of metal, and I'll probably use plasti-dip for the handle, unless I can get a good tape. I hope to get the small dimples visible on the grip. I want this to be good.

Also, Long Shot, I can't see your pictures. :( Thanks for bumping this, I needed a reminder. :lol:

I got a quote from a pro knifemaker on that very same UNSC combat knife. With a kraton handle and a low-grade anodized tool steel blade, he was talking $600. Your wooden replicas look great, man. Good job!

Unique Name said:
Sorry for taking so long, but I haven't been able to get materials yet. I plan to make the entire blade out of 1/4'' steel and grind an edge onto it.

Hot. :love: If you're careful you can do all the metalworking there with an angle grinder and a few various discs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back