Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE JULY 7, 2010

Worked on tack welding the wire into place. It didn't work like i wanted it too. Even with my wire welder it melted too easily. I plan on still doing more work with the wire but will have to get some sheet metal screws and washers. On the other side i got the 4' x 8' sheet of foam i had put up for testing out and started cutting and trimming. It is in the place but doesn't have the right feel to it. The metal wire is much easier to form before you foam it. I pick up some spray foam, sandpaper and screws tomorrow.

4772390043_86e9d4b3d7_b.jpg

4772390047_23b2a3965e_b.jpg

4773087816_1163c18713_b.jpg

UPDATE JULY 8, 2010

Today i played around the the foam side some more. Trying to get the shape i wanted it kept cracking and breaking so i took it out. I drove to town and picked up some spray foam and some sheet metal screws. I will do some playing with that later today or tomorrow. Also on the other side i am going to get the plywood i had put up for this to try it out and see how i like that. When i finally get a base how i like it i will get it secured and prepped for fiberglass. SORRY, NO NEW PICTURES TODAY.

That looks so AWESOME! I recently started rebuilding a Triumph Stag and I am a complete noob but I can't wait to see the end result!

why the hell havent you been given elite status yet?........

elite status typically goes to someone who has completed an epic project, but don't worry, my guess is that this will warrant elite status once completed. the better question is why this isn't in the elite section yet. there are plenty of epic WIPs in there...

UPDATE
AUG 2,2010

Been busy on some other projects and got the warthog rolled back into the shop a couple of days ago. Still playing with body panels types. I like working with the wire and foam like i have before but the foam isn't quite like i had before and i could never get it working into the groves of the wire like i wanted it too. I took it off for now and have more wire on hand for when i decide on the other foam i wanted. I am looking for some different style expanding foam now. I trimmed some more on the Styrofoam sheet i had partly cut out and then placed it on a sheet of plywood i had saved up for this project. I have the rough cut done and need to do some more trimming on it tomorrow. What ever base i have the best results on i will be fiber glassing on. Was hoping to have a some of it glassed this time home. Depends on how things turns out tomorrow.

THE FOAM HELD GOOD, BUT TWO CANS DIDN'T COVER VERY MUCH. I TRIED THE TRIPLE EXPANDING AND THE REGULAR. BOTH FIZZED OUT ABOUT THE SAME WHEN I WORKED IT INTO THE GROVES FOR A FIRM SEAL. AFTER TOUCHING IT WITH MY HANDS ON BOTH SIDES IT JUST WOULDN'T EXPAND. I HAVE HAD OTHER FOAMS KEEP EXPANDING IN THE PAST, BUT I HAS BEEN A FEW YEARS SINCE I HAD MESSED WITH THIS TECHNIQUE. THE WIRE SHAPED JUST HOW I WANTED IT. I MAY GO BACK TO THIS WHEN I GET THE FOAM TYPE WORKED OUT. BELOW YOU CAN SEE HOW EASLY IT SANDED AND THE WIRE KEPT IT'S SHAPE

4854842439_59efdab136_b.jpg

4854842435_ea678b05e1_b.jpg

4854842447_6067b08602_b.jpg

4854842465_3fc0a978ae_b.jpg

4854842469_691a30376a_b.jpg

4854842475_c58dbb7f79_b.jpg

4854976331_db52df9d7b_b.jpg

THE BOTTOM FIT IS GOOD, JUST HAVE TO LIGHTLY TRIM THE TOP.

Why you moving so slow buddy? havent been around much lately, and i stopped by hoping that you had this thing rolling around and waiting for me to take it for a spin.

P.s. Check you inbox.

Why you moving so slow buddy? havent been around much lately, and i stopped by hoping that you had this thing rolling around and waiting for me to take it for a spin.

P.s. Check you inbox.

I know, i know. Right now it's summer so it's single dad vs all 4 kids. LOL. When they get back in school it will pick back up some. Right now i am not over seas so i only have two weeks at a time home not a month. Plus the 34 ford was needing a little attention, I am still working on it as the parts fall into place. I though i had part of one side done then the foam just wouldn't work right so i am in search for another type/source of expanding foam. I hope to have it all worked out before i head back to work for two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back