Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookin good, do you by any chance have the tailgate, and how were you doing the windsheild, because I was thinkin, just go to the junkyard, find one of those cars with the bubbly rear windows and stick one of those on the front.

Also do they make any smaller headlights?

Yes I still have the tailgate, why? It's rusted out on the bottom. This bronco was under a tree uncovered for several years. Most likely the windshield will be one of two ways. One I do a wood body buck, then cut and heat a piece of lexan over it. Two, bite the bullet and get a custom windshield.

UPDATE
8-31-2011
Today I got most of what I needed cut off of the bronco body and got it out of the shop. Then I rolled the warthog body and cut it off of the blazer body. Raised up the warthog body and suspended it in the air. Rolled the blazer chassis out side and rolled the bronco back in under the warthog. I still have some trimming to do till it fits, but it's coming along. Should have the body fitted to the frame tomorrow.

6101366033_4fc3a25461_b.jpg

6101915776_d8c4753e8a_b.jpg

6101912098_2ca003e225_b.jpg

6101369861_31da31af5b_b.jpg

6101919570_1df997a985_b.jpg

6101377413_e783c66ed3_b.jpg

6101923464_87e517da41_b.jpg

6101921418_33185b4f86_b.jpg

It's really great to see this coming along. I can't wait to see more!

UPDATE
9-1-2011
Trimmed more off the chassis and just about got it all the way down where I want it, next I will need to take the stock dash out but leaving the area with the factory VIN number unharmed. In the pictures you can see I need to slide the body forward more. Got more to trim in the rear fender well area and get the bumpers off. It should be sitting where I want it tomorrow. I am cutting some of what I was going to use for my flooring now that I have a good floor board I can just weld the sides to my body to make it complete.

6104494497_d041d66107_b.jpg

6104495935_e3217d4bd5_b.jpg

6105043898_4d720d8547_b.jpg

UPDATE
9-3-2011

Today I got the dash out, inner bracket and trimmed it down some on the top. The FT is pretty close but still not there just yet. I have a lot more trimming to do on the back. This will be in till I get back in from work again. I leave for work on the 5th. When I get back home 28 days from it I will be back at it again.

6110310229_7be141d857_b.jpg

6110308893_40de63a4b1_b.jpg

6110307539_e1dfc8e80e_b.jpg

6110851852_5e4a369ebf_b.jpg

6110850358_e93d3b295f_b.jpg

I am absolutely impressed. And yes, (like most n00bs) have a couple of quick questions:

1: I'm planning on starting my own build sometime in the next year or so and have been looking at vehicles to use as a base. I have access to some old military retired HMMWVs (the original military Hummer). You think that would be a good vehicle to start off with? They run just fine, and range in age from 4 to about 12-14 years of age.

2: What do your kids think of you doing this? If I was younger and my father was building a 'hog, I'd be completely ECSTATIC!!!

This is by far one of the most intense, complicated, and overall impressive builds I've seen on the 405th in quite some time.

Keep up the awesome work and I can't wait for more updates!

Rex, Thanks. If I would of had a chance to get ahold of original military hummer I would of used it, but there aren't a lot of them around in this area. The suspension on one of them would be more like the newer warthog that is shown in Fonza 4 Motorsports. I think the width would work well with the wheelbase, just have to take some measurements and make sure the body would look right on it. (and if you just have plenty of them lying around let me know, I would love to take one off your hands, lol)

My kids love it, and can't wait for it to be finished. I am back from work now so I will get started back on it again soon. Going to finish fitting the body, secure it, then drop the engine in it. Make sure everything works, then get back to the body panels.

Chitwood1775, If all you know is welding then you have a good start over a lot of people.

DreadMullet, No, I am just getting started...............How have your projects been?

Wow. Sounds like we are about to see 3 Warthogs in the near future.
The one the Weta guys made,the one the Op. Chastity made, and then, your one.
Awesome work man: keep up the good work!

I do disappear every other month to work, but it also give me a whole month off work to do whatever I want when I am home. Dad is redoing the doors on his little red express truck so after this weekend the shop will be cleared out again and I can jump into it again.

UPDATE: 12-20-2011

The work on my dads truck has taken a lot longer than I hoped it would. I have moved the warthog to under my car port. It's not enclosed, but will allow me to get the saw out and finish the trimming I need to get the body all the way down so I can get it all welded out. Try to get it welded in and fitted before I head back out to work. Now if the rain we have had over the last week would thin out I could get a little more done.

Windshield

If you make the windshield out of lexan wouldnt it be a bit weak? And maybe it wouldnt be legal because its not strong as glass. Also will you have wipers for it?

If I use the standard grade not the race grade it would be thicker. There is a glass place that can do a custom job but I don't know yet if price would be too high or not.

Still working on this. Mainly collecting a few parts and looking for a engine before I dive back into this full force.

Idea

Have you thought of vaccumforming the winshield out of polycarbonate layered onto plexiglas? Bulletproof glass has plexiglas outside polycarb inside. Or maybe other way round , search it up. If you do that it may not be bullet proof but it will be strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back