Long-Term Metal Armour Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock Faithless

Has anyone ever attempted metal armor and or helmet? Because I am planning on doing a long-term (1-5 years) project. I would probably start with the helmet, just to see if it is truly possible. Im thinking just making a sturdy case out of sheet metal, or something, and then foam filling it to make it snug. The helmet I am thinking of doing is the Scout helmet from Reach. Any tips? And if there is already a thread on metal work for armour, please post it. If not I am the first one to do such thing. :D Eventually I will probably have access to a machine shop (great for metal work) But that might not be for a while (1-2 years). So until then I will be working on a solid plan with the help of your guys' expertise.

scout.png

Has anyone ever attempted metal armor and or helmet? Because I am planning on doing a long-term (1-5 years) project. I would probably start with the helmet, just to see if it is truly possible. Im thinking just making a sturdy case out of sheet metal, or something, and then foam filling it to make it snug. The helmet I am thinking of doing is the Scout helmet from Reach. Any tips? And if there is already a thread on metal work for armour, please post it. If not I am the first one to do such thing. :D Eventually I will probably have access to a machine shop (great for metal work) But that might not be for a while (1-2 years). So until then I will be working on a solid plan with the help of your guys' expertise.

201px-ReachConcept_JunHelmet.jpg

There were several threads in the past year with the ambition to create a metal armor. If my recollection is correct, these were just ambitions and they did not get anywhere beyond the drawing boards. If you have worked with metal before, your goal may be attainable. If this is the first time you are working on metal, I suggest that you rethink your goal. Working with paper and hardening it is difficult enough. With metal, it is unfathomable.

Please keep in mind that metal armor gets very heavy. Even if you can complete your armor, I can imagine you being a statue more than a warrior.

Please note that we encourage members to start a thread with WIP. Indecision threads are usually get locked if there are no progress.

Good luck with your build.

There was a guy a while ago who made a full set by cutting pieces out of sheet metal and welding them together (there was a forum thread about it, but all i could find now was a youtube video he made at
). I've started on trying to make a metal helmet that is basically a pep with sheet aluminum from soda cans instead of cardstock. not quite as awesome as welding or machining steel, but still a metal helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i had the thought of doing metal armore as well. I was thinking of some heavy grade alumminum but i gotta wait till i can get a place to work it out. I was also thinking of doing a leather one lol. Good luck to you if you do end up doing a metal one. :) I cant wait to see some pics

Yeah i had the thought of doing metal armore as well. I was thinking of some heavy grade alumminum but i gotta wait till i can get a place to work it out. I was also thinking of doing a leather one lol. Good luck to you if you do end up doing a metal one. :) I cant wait to see some pics

I don't understand why does everyone wants metal/alumn armor. Is there any reason beside trying to be different? Are you aware armor today is not made from neither of these materials due to weight and they are not bulletproof?
Here is a fact you probably not aware. The new Lamborghini is made entirely out of resin and fiberglass, not alloy, aluminum or carbon fiber. The designers at Lamborghini was able to make a mold entirely out of resin and fiberglass with less time, cost. The end product is much stronger than what they used to use. It is also lighter and stronger. Something to think about? No?

I don't understand why does everyone wants metal/alumn armor. Is there any reason beside trying to be different? Are you aware armor today is not made from neither of these materials due to weight and they are not bulletproof?
Here is a fact you probably not aware. The new Lamborghini is made entirely out of resin and fiberglass, not alloy, aluminum or carbon fiber. The designers at Lamborghini was able to make a mold entirely out of resin and fiberglass with less time, cost. The end product is much stronger than what they used to use. It is also lighter and stronger. Something to think about? No?

I suppose they're trying to be "realistic", since the Chief's suit in-game is made of metal.

What I don't think these people realize is that a full Pep and fiberglass Spartan suit is heavy, hot, bulky, and cumbersome enough, and not the easiest to move around with. I can only imagine what it would be like with a metal suit, but I'm sure it would be amplified.

I have rarely seen anyone actually attempt a metal suit after much talk, and the rare times that someone does start, I have not seen anything come close to finished. So when I see these kinds of threads, I just shrug and move on...

I see where you guys are coming from, and i do agree. But I am just making the helmet to begin (arguably the toughest part). And I will not be making the whole helmet out of metal, pretty much just a case (much like the fiberglass) and then use foam for the inside to make it more snug.

Does anyone know if someone else has done the Reach Scout helmet before? I would like to see some of their plans to see what they did.

Personally I think that when people see fiberglass, in most peoples mind they correlate it to plastic, and plastic is cheap. Where if its metal, they think its "so much better" that they flaunt over it. But some of that has to do with the paint job as well. Thats my opinion anyways.

Im thinking of doing it in sections and then fastening them together, as that would make it easier to "mold" the pieces. Agree or disagree?

And for the front of the face(the black area minus the "visor") Im thinking of doing a black fabric, for better air circulation, communication, as well as it looks like it would be some hitech fabric in the future(carbon nanotube fabric,anyone?).

Personally I think that when people see fiberglass, in most peoples mind they correlate it to plastic, and plastic is cheap. Where if its metal, they think its "so much better" that they flaunt over it.

Funny then that manufacturers of vehicles such as boats, planes, and cars are turning away from metal and using composites like fiberglass and carbon fiber more. And the prices usually just keep going up...

The more you know....

Funny then that manufacturers of vehicles such as boats, planes, and cars are turning away from metal and using composites like fiberglass and carbon fiber more. And the prices usually just keep going up...

The more you know....

You did miss the second part of that statement, where the paint job matters. Cars are still being painted the same so for the people that dont know they think its the same old. If a halo suit is painted to look like metal it looks unreal, but if it looks plasticy then people think its a cheap suit, no matter how much work has gone into it. Thats my opinion anyays.

No, I didn't miss that part, I just ignored it because I don't think the paint job matters that much. If someone showed me two identically painted cars (for example), but one was metal and one was fiberglass, I'd prefer, or at least be more impressed with the composite one. I'm fairly sure knowledgeable people would do the same.

What I was was trying to say is that, regardless of someone's opinions, fiberglass does not = "cheap plastic". If they believe that, then it is just a case of them being misinformed. If anything, composites like fiberglass are considered state-of-the-art.

Anyways here is my plan so far...

Plan:
Maintain communication with 405
Possibly do a sizing test somehow...
Get Materials
Start shaping the metal in smaller pieces
Get professional welder to adhere the pieces
Make visor and front part of the helmet
Carve foam to fit the helmet, adhere the foam.
Paint the exterior
Wear proudly down the street :)

Did I leave anything out/any suggestions?

No, I didn't miss that part, I just ignored it because I don't think the paint job matters that much. If someone showed me two identically painted cars (for example), but one was metal and one was fiberglass, I'd prefer, or at least be more impressed with the composite one. I'm fairly sure knowledgeable people would do the same.
Fiberglass is an accomplishment on its own. Its not just cheap plastic.

Im not saying that fiberglass is cheap, ive worked with it before and it is difficult at times. What Im saying is that to people who do not know about fiberglass, they think it is plastic/has plastic qualities(aka cheap).

Im not saying that fiberglass is cheap, ive worked with it before and it is difficult at times. What Im saying is that to people who do not know about fiberglass, they think it is plastic/has plastic qualities(aka cheap).

Ok, and what we're saying is that those people who think that are misinformed. They would benefit to learn that fiberglass is not plastic, and it is not a cheap material that implies an inferior product. Quite the opposite actually.

Don't forget to add lots of photos, since this really hasn't been done and shared before, and otherwise the mods will lock W.I.P threads without photos.

Good luck...

Don't forget to add lots of photos, since this really hasn't been and shared before, and otherwise the mods will lock W.I.P threads without photos.

Good luck...

Thanks bro, I will try to get started asap, so that people know Im legit about doing this. Now I just need to find out where i get some sheet metal... Any ideas one what type of metal/alloy I should work with? Im thinking just the cheapest stuff for now considering i am probably going to have to make two helmets due to mistakes on the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back