Long-time new member - My first build thread

Hmm yeah, I was in that battle of storage vs mobilitiy. I've been bouncing between looking at PLA and ABS to build my next one. Good to know that the print itself is holding up even though the clear coat isn't. Thanks!
If I were to do this all over again, I would probably print in PETG rather than PLA. From everything I've read, it is generally more durable, it's just a bit trickier to get the hang of printing with, and when I started this I was completely new to 3D printing, so I stayed with PLA. Overall I think it will hold up just fine, thanks in no part to the fiberglass reinforcement, but I have noticed a couple hairline cracks here and there already just from natural flexing and wear. Nothing noticeable really, but worth keeping an eye on. Storage isn't too bad for now, but if I ever plan on traveling long distance with the suit, I'll have to figure out better padding and protection.

If I were to do this all over again, I would probably print in PETG rather than PLA. From everything I've read, it is generally more durable, it's just a bit trickier to get the hang of printing with, and when I started this I was completely new to 3D printing, so I stayed with PLA. Overall I think it will hold up just fine, thanks in no part to the fiberglass reinforcement, but I have noticed a couple hairline cracks here and there already just from natural flexing and wear. Nothing noticeable really, but worth keeping an eye on. Storage isn't too bad for now, but if I ever plan on traveling long distance with the suit, I'll have to figure out better padding and protection.
I'll keep these things in mind for when I start my next build. Thank you again

I'll keep these things in mind for when I start my next build. Thank you again
If anything specific comes up please feel free to reach out. I definitely want to pay my dues back to the community that has been so helpful with my own builds so I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Update time:

I was able to get the suit functionally complete in time for my party, which was my original goal. There were plenty of things I wish I had had more time for, but the big goal was met, so I'm content. Strapping the entire thing was tricky, and I'm very glad I was able to wear the suit for a couple hours at my party as it revealed a number of issues that I need to correct if I'm going to wear this to a convention or consider traveling with it. I'll have another post in the future that details some of these items, but for now I just wanted to share some photos of the finished suit as a cumulative post (please ignore the numerous cat toys). I do plan on getting some professional photography done eventually, but for now I just want to take a breather as the last month in particular has been a significant strain to get this done. Overall I'm happy with everything, and for my first attempt at a costume this elaborate, I think I did alright.

View attachment 337813
this looks sick! paint job is spectacular, the white especially seems especially difficult to do nicely but you pulled it off

If anything specific comes up please feel free to reach out. I definitely want to pay my dues back to the community that has been so helpful with my own builds so I'm happy to help in any way I can.
Thank you, I'd appreciate it. I'm completely new to 3D printing lol. Amazing build for your first time! Super clean.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back