M13 Machete Build (Real-Steel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobofrag

Building a Real-steel M13 Machete with molded grip. Will update tomorrow with pics and such. This is my first build for 405th so bear with me.

Gobofrag

So I've started building two M13 Machete's. These will be real-steel but not usable quality. Purely decorative. I imagine if your life depended on it you could use them in a pinch but I wouldn't bet my life on them. One or two zombie kills at the most...lol

I had them cut by a friend of mine using a Plasma Router. Excellent lines and almost no deburring required. Thanks to Juliet76 for his blueprint. I took his print and lined it up in AI. Out came these...
IMG_0002.jpg

Going to start molding the handles tomorrow. Will update then.

Gobofrag

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 141
20080720225353!Legendary.jpg

;)

Very very nice machete's Gobo. Will you be making rubber molded grips? :)

- X.

Attachments

• 20080720225353!Legendary.jpg
    20080720225353!Legendary.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 154
You probably saw it here...

HaloCrests.jpg

Then again...maybe not...lol

Gobofrag

Attachments

• HaloCrests.jpg
    HaloCrests.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 162
I'll be sculpting the handle from scratch using AD clay. Making a silicone mold of the clay and then molding the handles using resin or some other material. I've read of people using tool handle dip for their grips but that sounds ghetto. Any suggestions? I don't do projects half-a** so take that into consideration. No electrical tape or anything like that.

Gobofrag

I think I'll be offering two versions. Sharpened for home deco and unsharpened for conventions. I'll still be at least beveling the unsharpened but have a rounded edge.

Gobofrag

Update time...

The AD clay I was going to use shrunk down about 20% upon drying...way too much. I decided to just use some scrap foam from my Mass Effect 2 armor build and carved the handles out of it. I used a dremel with a drum sander attachment to round and shape the handles. Those two halves were put into a frame and I'm now waiting for the silicon bead to dry. I'll pour and de-mold tomorrow.

One side done, one unsanded...
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Tool used...
IMG_0011.jpg

My real machete along side...
IMG_0012.jpg

Ready too mold...
IMG_0018.jpg

Stay tuned.

Gobofrag

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 131
Damn that's nice. But what really caught my attention was Mass Effect 2 Armor build. You wouldn't happen to have some pics would you?

Sorry, no pics of the ME2 build. I started it and realized how much cash I was going to have to pump into it. I've postponed that build till I can afford it. David Carpenter or EvilFX did a build that I freakin love. Check his DA gallery to get your fix.
http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/

If that link don't work, just google him.

Gobofrag

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm on day 3 of waiting for my mold backing to dry. Been looking into a product called Aves Epoxy Clay. Anybody ever used it? It sounds like what I need for any project I might ever do. So if you have used it, lemme know what you thought of it...

Gobofrag

I tried making the Machete once. Didn't use Juliets blueprints though. My evil minion who runs the edged weapons department here cut out the metal with a plasma torch, but he rushed it, so it warped really bad. Looks fantastic thus far. How are you going to go about making the holes in the grip?

I planned on drilling them out careful like and then remold em prior to assembly. What did you use to drill your dowel rods on your barrel?

Wow man, that looks awesome :O I saw a machete at the Army Surplus store yesterday... I wantd it so bad xD

I planned on drilling them out careful like and then remold em prior to assembly. What did you use to drill your dowel rods on your barrel?

On my DMR? Initially I used a dremel, but found it difficult to get a consistant hole becuase it was so light, so I switched over to a cordless screwdriver and the holes came out perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back