Makeshift support struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weslicon

Jr Member
Hey all, just wanted to run something by everyone and see what you thought. Right now, I'm building MOZ's Mark Five Backplate and i was concerned about something when it comes time to resin:

Jutting.jpg

The two pieces that go over the shoulder seem to me like they protrude outwards pretty far. I was just wondering if this would be an issue when resining. What I mean is, will they warp without proper support? One of my ideas was to do the chest piece first and then just resin the chest and back together as one pice. If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them! Thanks

I use makeshift supports all the time and they really help to prevent warping. I either glue together a few craft sticks or roll up index cards and glue them so they stay rolled up. I then glue one side to the area that is wobbly and the other to a stable part of the armor. Works great for me.

You can see what I'm talking about in this picture, as my description doesn't seem to great.
DSC02342.jpg

If you looks at the ring parts of the knees you can see I hot glued rolled up index cards between the two ends of the knee to keep them from warping outwards or inwards. Once I hardened them I simply ripped out the paper supports and dremeled down the excess hot glue.

I like to use foamboard for internal support struts. It's stiff, easy to trim to size, and easy to glue in.

Here I have two pieces interlocking (each piece notched in the middle) to hold the codpiece shape while resining and fiberglassing.
IMG_4250.jpg

For smaller stuff like snins, forearms, helmets, etc i just use meat skewer sticks or chopsticks. For bigger stuff I would use a stiff cardboard, or like Spitfire said, foamboard (never thought of that before but may give it a try!!!)

When I built my Mark 5 MOZ torso, I actually built the front and back and put them together to form one piece. I then made a bunch of internal supports to form it to the shape i wanted. I wish I had taken some pictures when i built it last year!! But when you do that, your front and back pieces of the torso will fit together perfectly :)

Spitfire22V The pic above where you got foam board in to keep the shape of the COD piece, what sort of glue do you use to keep it there? Is it easy to remove without damaging any parts? or do you just cut it out later and sand it down or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back