Making a ODST armor in titanium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the end result to this is: If you have the money then do it, asking us what we think or would do is mute since your going to pay someone else to do it (professional) and they are going to do it their way. All most of us would want is some pics to see how it turned out other wise this really is a pointless thread and should be closed based on the idea it isnt going anywhere other than into a flaming war at some point...
im simply asking about you're opinions, what material i should use, etc. i see no reason whatsoever why this thread should be closed.

im 20 years old (born in 1990) titanium is fairly light compared to metall, so i thought i would the best material to build the suit in, but im also thinking about a carbon fiber shell with multiple layers of kevlar inside, what do you think?

Titanium IS a metal. And while it is relatively light, it still has a density of 4.5 g/cm³, which means that one litre of material weighs 4.5 kg. As I said earlier, that's probably not enough, so lets make it 10 kg. In addition to that, you need an undersuit, boots, weapon and possibly you'll have a bag, pocket or backpack with a snack or something. That means in total we're looking at a weight of maybe 15 to 20 kg. That's a lot to carry around, unless you do something like that for a living.

You can use aramide fibres instead of fibreglass, but they're harder to work with, need special tools to cut, are way more expensive and they make no difference in the end whatsoever. They're not even visible. And, if I may add, your costume won't provide any real protection regardless of which material you use. The problem here is not possibility, but making sure it really works.

my intent is that its gonna look AWESOME! no, but seriously. it may be a waste to you guys, but its not really you're money either, is it? i honestly have no idea why people is so conserned about what other chooses to spend they're money on.

It's not going to look any different than a plastic suit. It'll just feel and maybe sound different.

You DID ask what we thought, and "cool, but over the top" seems to be the genereal consensus here, even if it is not what you were hoping for.

that was my intent... but im wondering how im gonna get the ''shade'' effect... like when the helmet goes from a clear visor to a dark one.

It's been done before, with a tinted visor and a light on the inside. Have a look at this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25008-Child's-Play-Auction-Custom-Odst-Helmet

Personally, I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Your suit will be cool but other than that an absolute waste of time and resources. Titanium is about the strongest metal on earth (they use it for aircraft landing gear struts) , I doubt very many companies could handle it .

Why not save the cash, get yourself the best looking suit money can buy and spent the rest on a tonne of weapons to arm yourself with.

An ODST suit in real life isn't really feasible for combat, not without built in sensors and what have you. you'll definitely die in it. Just die tired.

Someone DID build a full metal MC suit. It involved Titanium, Stainless Steel and Kevlar. It ended up weighing 125 pounds, and cost him 3000 dollars to build. Though he got half of his materials free from his work. He said it probably would have cost him around 5500. He didn't post a wip thread, but he obviously had some skill in order to make such a detailed and strong suit. You can see the topic he made for his finished suit HERE.

Realistically you don't need to use any kind of metal to make a good looking suit. You can get great cheap ODST kits from Sean Bradley, that turn out AMAZING. The ODST suits used in the "We are ODST" trailer were actually mistaken for Seans suits. They look awesome, don't weigh much, and have a great price-tag.

I still don't understand why people have to be so harsh. Go for it, man. I just read about someone else who's doing a Dead Space 2 suit in titanium. So seriously, do it.

I agree with abby, if you have the money and recourses go for it! just gotta say though if you're looking for a props company who will do it for you/ with you then you're gonna have to look pretty hard, I know from myself working with a props company that many of their services are restricted to particular clients and purposes.
But hope it turns out well if it goes ahead!

Let me share this much this suit will not be light by no means, running in it will only exaust the heck out of you, and after a few hours of wearing it you won't want to put it on again. If you live in a area that hot most of the time you'll cook like a EZ Bake Oven. The reason I know all of this is from past experience I used to work at the AZ Ren Faire as a Knight in Full Steel Armor and Steel Chainmail. It was a workout but it was also completely built by hand and tools and took a few years to make and probably well over 2000 in materials and tool costs. Sadly I don't have that suit anymore but part of me is happy that it is gone because in Arizona during the middle of Spring/Summer, I cooked in it because I did'nt know about taking fans and installing them in parts of the suit for A/C. Honestly depending on your age and size go with a Sean Bradley Kit, unless you're used to working with metal and have worn a metal suit or part of a metal suit before.

You guys know this is a troll right?
he has bad grammar
he doesn't even know what he wants other than a titanium ODST suit (no details just wants it to "look cool")
he somehow has an endless supply of money for this
he joined 2 days ago so he probably doesn't have experience with this
he thinks professional costume makers would use titanium
he thinks that because titanium is a lighter metal, that the entire suit would still be light

You guys know this is a troll right?
he has bad grammar
he doesn't even know what he wants other than a titanium ODST suit (no details just wants it to "look cool")
he somehow has an endless supply of money for this
he joined 2 days ago so he probably doesn't have experience with this
he thinks professional costume makers would use titanium
he thinks that because titanium is a lighter metal, that the entire suit would still be light

Trolling means to provoke people, doing stuff that leads to lockdowns, bans and moderators having a bad day. He's not doing that.

i was thinking of doing a FULL ODST armor in titanium... i won't be making it but i'll give the task to the pro's i was thinking something like this:

-

and i would like shade feature on the helmet, is there any way to do that?

and money won't be a problem.

what do you guys say?

It is possible to shape titanium. Its just very difficult. Even if you could do that, there is no way you could add the amount of detail seen in those props. Also there wouldn´t be any benefit of making an armor out of titanium when it comes to strength and structural integrity, since various steels will be stronger (let alone easier to shape, cheaper, easier to find and easier to paint.)

If, however, you are talking about titanium alloy, Yes, this would be stronger and more durable, but this is the stuff used in military applications and aviation, and often requires high end technology, loads of highly educated staff, immense amounts of energy, rare elements and a budget en par a medium sized, overly wealthy, northern european government.

Good luck!

If you really have the money, can have my company build your suit. I have worked on buildings for Microsoft and worked on one of Paul Allan yachts. There is no way living so close to those companies that I would break the law. Paul Allen is suing a ton of companies at the moment.
FIRST!! You need to get permission from Microsoft, BUNGIE or 343 studios. They will give you a right to build and would give me legal authorization to build it. Building an ODST suit will break the law, because HALO is property of those companies.
Get a hold of a lawyer to contact Microsoft and they will get the license you need to build. That’s if they even let you and it’s my guess they will say no but never hurts to try. Expect to put a retainer fee of 5-10K and could easily run much more. That’s nonrefundable fee also
Now if you have the rights to manufacture we can start to build but there’s one more step before we can start cutting titanium. Now would have to check with the state laws to make sure that the suit does not violate body armor laws that’s because of the materials used. That would another retainer fee with our lawyer 2-5k fee.
After all that now we can get to work because you “got money and don’t care what it cost” here is a rough bid
3d scan of your body for the right measurements and how much room the under suit will take up
Then find a molder here on the 405th that can take the measurements and scale the suit to your body and I’m guessing you could find someone to do it for 1500-2500$ which is easily half of what of what a local company we use would charge.
3d scan – 2300$
3d Molder -1500-5000$
Material - titanium 6al 6v 2sn 5500$
Kevlar carbon fiber under suit 4500$
CNC time- 35 hours est. at 110$ per
Seamstress time – 60-100 hours est. 55$ hour
Paint job – done by a custom auto shop 1500$
Options you may want
Heads up display in helmet 6500$
4th gen night vision in helmet 7500$
Cooling built in to under suit 2400$
LBES- 4200$

Est. 22450-44550$ not including lawyer fees
Being the only person on earth with an ODST suit as close to the game as you can get
PRICELESS !!!

Take all form of payments, cash, check or charge once you have the rights

Or like I’m doing start your own build work with the molds here, learn a lot of new skills and make friends along the way. Trust me this community has A ton of great people that are more than happy to help. Fiberglass suit done right is much lighter than metal one and can be just as strong plus the pride of doing your self
To all, I shot this bid from the hip and didn’t take more than 2 minutes of my time so don’t pick it apart it is Rough and based of custom work in the past.

Good god man! You jumped right in! All I have to say is this guy is either a really starnge man or a complete troll. I have delt with every type of troll out there. This guy shows no verification, has obviously just joined, and is typing short messages with replying to others with quik "oh thats cool" messages. Tell me guys, wheres the game plan? wheres the idea he had? whats his motivation? No one just spends $45,000 for a suit of armor from a video game and posts on a tiny little forum that the 405th is (gettin bigger everyday though :) ) Either this man is for real and is new to this subject, or he just chummed the shark tank and sat back. Luckily you guys (well most of you) took the right path with this and acted questionably. good job team.

and if i am wrong, I do not mean any offense. Just, I have delt with people like this before and they tend to be 10 yr olds who got their first computer and played on halo game.

Just, I have delt with people like this before and they tend to be 10 yr olds who got their first computer and played on halo game.

I agree. Or a 10 year old who's idea of "don't care how much it costs" is that it wont exceed $100.

If this is for real, then ok. But in my experience with internet forums is when somebody new comes in asking to make something extremely extravagant like this, they tend to be:
A: Someone who really doesn't know the reality of what they're asking, and when they do they lose interest.
or
B: Someone who just wants to see what kind of commotion they can churn up (read as: troll)

I think you would only have enough for the warthog...with fully operational airsoft turret.

You are most likely right about this guy
I get so many people stopping by the shop asking for all kinds of things to be made out of titanium and how much will it cost. I spend about 6 hours a week talking with people about this metal and 5 hours and 59 minutes is wasting my life because once I start telling them just the cost , they almost always turn white and get sick lol I am just giving him a reality check so he doesn’t waste anymore time . Just because I would love to build this, I also waved my time and didn’t charge for wielding or fit up. If he has the money, I will spend as fast as he will give it to me!!
FYI HAPPY WARRIOR
I don’t know how much money he has??? But if you have $750,000,000 around to spend?? I will launch you in to space with your own ODST pod … better hurry up fuel prices are going up and if you think it’s bad at the pump, then you have no idea what it does to the cost rocket fuel
Think about what kind of entrance that would make at your Halloween party!!!
Historians will later write about you! The greatest Party entrance ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back