Making My Own Halo 4 Master Chief Armor

NachoPipps

Hi, I am very new to foam working and this is my first big project. I am very open to criticisms and any tips or helpful advice for the future and I'll gladly share what little knowledge I have learned thus far. All pieces are made of foam and I'm using 1/2 inch thick foam mats with a smaller 5mm mat for small details. I did not make the helmet, it's just there for reference, but I do plan on making my own as soon as we can get the 3D printer up as it has some issues right now. I was inspired to make this by Impact Props series "Living with Chief" and I am going to make the helmet the same way they did. Please enjoy, and good luck to your own projects.

Attachments

• 2Arms.JPG
    2Arms.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Arm.JPG
    Arm.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • ArmsWHelmet.JPG
    ArmsWHelmet.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 41

PlanetAlexander

Heya NachoPipps, and welcome to the 405th! You've got some really good detail on those forearms! Correct me if I'm wrong, did you use hot glue for seams? You've done a really good job at keeping the seams clean, but also take a look at contact cement - it's a really great adhesive for EVA foam.

What's the next piece you have lined up?

NachoPipps

Hi, I actually used contact cement, I personally use Barge all purpose cement but I'm pretty new to this so far. I was going to do the shoulder piece, but it didn't come with the file from the armory, so I'll probably do the shin armor then thigh armor, then piece together the shoulder armor if I cant find a file for it.

NachoPipps

You didn't sound rude at all, I just wasn't being too careful about getting the cement on top by accident, i just need to apply it in smaller amounts. It wont be visible after painting though, so I wasn't too worried about it. is it bad to get small amounts on top or is it just a visual thing? also, do you have any tips for scaling the chest piece?

PlanetAlexander

You didn't sound rude at all, I just wasn't being too careful about getting the cement on top by accident, i just need to apply it in smaller amounts. It wont be visible after painting though, so I wasn't too worried about it. is it bad to get small amounts on top or is it just a visual thing? also, do you have any tips for scaling the chest piece?
If you get any glue on top, you should be able to lightly sand it away (preferably with a power sanding tool like a rotary tool), or you may be able to use a solvent to break it up.
For scaling armour, a very helpful program is Armorsmith. It costs $35USD, but definitely worth it to save material, time and stress. It allows you to make a virtual avatar of your body based on measurements so you can then import and scale 3D model and Pepakura files to fit. With that, you can either unfold the files for foam/papercraft or export the scaled objects to be 3D printed.

NachoPipps

Hi, I am very new to foam working and this is my first big project. I am very open to criticisms and any tips or helpful advice for the future and I'll gladly share what little knowledge I have learned thus far. All pieces are made of foam and I'm using 1/2 inch thick foam mats with a smaller 5mm mat for small details. I did not make the helmet, it's just there for reference, but I do plan on making my own as soon as we can get the 3D printer up as it has some issues right now. I was inspired to make this by Impact Props series "Living with Chief" and I am going to make the helmet the same way they did. Please enjoy, and good luck to your own projects.
So I finished cutting out the shin pieces, now I just have to assemble them. This is only one shin, so I've still got a lot of work to do.

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.