WE ARE ODST. I’d say we’re done with the shop work for now until I need something else done now I’ve got a lot of bondo work to do and then we can get to painting
DC71FDEB-82A4-4045-B307-40FFFA9150FC.jpeg
2A48DE1A-B89E-4F88-B8EC-27EF4A969DCC.jpeg

Currently doing lots of bondo clean up. Also added some damage so I can reveal it with the paint weathering along with scuff marks and stuff. It’ll make sense when I show you later. I want to tell a story through the paint job, make this look and feel like my trooper has been feet first into hell. This process will take a while and won’t be in the video to save on time. So next post you will see is with paint. That part is definitely in the video :) Super excited I’m finally at this point
E8920C50-7EAB-40D2-9FCA-0F341C60E228.jpeg

Paint done. Now I need to install the visor, probably gonna make a temporary one with acrylic sheet and window tint until I’m confident enough to try it on mirrored polycarbonate. I also need to pad the inside and make it all pretty and legit.

Attachments

• BCE4CF42-AB66-4F8D-8A2B-05C3F67BD1BC.jpeg
    BCE4CF42-AB66-4F8D-8A2B-05C3F67BD1BC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • BD8973E6-CA86-429B-A7C4-881835C9BC8D.jpeg
    BD8973E6-CA86-429B-A7C4-881835C9BC8D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • A98B6B74-7F1D-4E16-8C3F-69B50E0E53DA.jpeg
    A98B6B74-7F1D-4E16-8C3F-69B50E0E53DA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • B15F3BDD-4FB0-47F8-A503-2B1739B432C5.jpeg
    B15F3BDD-4FB0-47F8-A503-2B1739B432C5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
The roughness of the helmet is making me consider how I might do metallic objects in the future. The way the light diffuses off of it, and how it complements the weathering, is just
adventure-time-sir-slicer.gif

The roughness of the helmet is making me consider how I might do metallic objects in the future. The way the light diffuses off of it, and how it complements the weathering, is just
View attachment 332872
I wanted to give a layered damage look to it. More than just dings and scratches. Like plasma having burned into the surface and marks of serious impacts. But also trying not to get super carried away and make the whole thing just damage craters lol. Glad to see your artistic eye catching on the details :)

I wanted to give a layered damage look to it. More than just dings and scratches. Like plasma having burned into the surface and marks of serious impacts. But also trying not to get super carried away and make the whole thing just damage craters lol. Glad to see your artistic eye catching on the details :)
I'm actually quite curious, what did you do to give it that rougher surface, like all the tiny bumps? I'd be interested in subtly doing the same thing on future armour pieces

I'm actually quite curious, what did you do to give it that rougher surface, like all the tiny bumps? I'd be interested in subtly doing the same thing on future armour pieces
The rough surface was the result of me using rustoleum filler primer. It’s a thick spray paint thatll settle in low spots and fill in any craters and such. It’s meant to be sanded down like bondo and then followed up with regular primer. I did like 3 or so coats of that filler primer and I noticed it left that coarse rough looking surface and I liked it a lot so I kept it. Didn’t sand the primer down smooth. Then I followed up with black, gray, red, the works lol.

I’d say the helmet is done for now. I have a temporary visor I made for the time being until I can either make or buy a different one of higher quality. I’ll have the build video up hopefully Saturday morning :) thank you guys for being interested and following in this Great Journey
04E009C4-CA11-401A-AC3F-3D928DC4A1EE.jpeg

Well everyone, it’s done. I’ve completed a what seemed like an impossible task, an ODST helmet from sheet metal. If you’re at all interested in seeing how it was made and my commentary, here’s the link.
This project was frustrating, maddening, but also extremely rewarding. There’s still more to come, when I have something to show and talk about I’ll make a new post. Have a good one, everybody.

Well everyone, it’s done. I’ve completed a what seemed like an impossible task, an ODST helmet from sheet metal. If you’re at all interested in seeing how it was made and my commentary, here’s the link.
This project was frustrating, maddening, but also extremely rewarding. There’s still more to come, when I have something to show and talk about I’ll make a new post. Have a good one, everybody.
That looks fantastic!

I started my aluminum suit a couple years back, but it's still sitting neglected in various boxes. I wish I had your welding skills! Now I'm motivated to dust off my stuff and get back on it!

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back