Mark VI Scout (First build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks alot! I'll try what you said and see how it works for me
I'm also gonna take a leaf outta your book and watch movies while cutting xD
lol I'd try to do the whole thing in one sitting and I just can't without something else happening around me

Update time! No pics unfortunately, but here's what I got...

I've completely mudglassed the inside of the helm, and let me say... it is HEAVY. Like, REALLY... oh well. I've also gotten more into the sanding phase of the left shin and forearm, both of which are coming along nicely. Unfortunately I've almost run out of both body filler and resin (so quickly too!) due to the mudglassing of my helm, so there shall be delays.

I'll post a pic of my progress on these three pieces tomorrow, and anything I've done on the thigh and bicep I just printed out. My original right bicep warped something terrible, and so I am going to be making a new one (this time the MK VI HD Shoulder by Robogenesis and Ral Partha). THis one also contains the basic MK VI shoulder piece in it, so this will prove a useful way to see how to attach my shoulder piece.

Until tomorrow then!

Try fibreglass cloth next time. It's a little more of a pain than slushing around liquid rondo, but a few decent layers of that offer pretty much the same protection without the weight breaking your neck.

Hey Swift!

Looked at this whole 7 pages worth of progress and I must say that is exactly what it is. Progress!

You have done an amazing job thus far and I cannot wait to see the final product. I envy the fact you have all the tools necessary to make some kick ass stuff. But agreed with you making the mountain/valley lines different colours in Pepakura as it makes things so much easier. I'm going to do red and blue next time as did red and green first time and that cause major eye strain!

The whole resin process really confuses me although, I'm a very long way from that at the moment. But your resin skills look awesome!

Keep up the Elite work!

Armor is looking awesomeness :)

have you thought of using smooth-cast instead of rondo??? I just bought 2 gallons of it, costs like $80. but in the end you will prolly end up saving money with it. also less toxic and a smaller cure time(more layers though >_<) just an idea

Try fibreglass cloth next time. It's a little more of a pain than slushing around liquid rondo, but a few decent layers of that offer pretty much the same protection without the weight breaking your neck.

I used fiberglass cloth in the mudglass, but I believe I did it wrong in that, it was probably meant to be fiberglass cloth in resin, THEN a layer of rondo ._.

Hey Swift!

Looked at this whole 7 pages worth of progress and I must say that is exactly what it is. Progress!

You have done an amazing job thus far and I cannot wait to see the final product. I envy the fact you have all the tools necessary to make some kick ass stuff. But agreed with you making the mountain/valley lines different colours in Pepakura as it makes things so much easier. I'm going to do red and blue next time as did red and green first time and that cause major eye strain!

The whole resin process really confuses me although, I'm a very long way from that at the moment. But your resin skills look awesome!

Keep up the Elite work!

Thank you Mykii! It only looks good when I post pictures of my successes, I've had a few mishaps so far, and I am at the moment having to redo my right bicep because of them D:

But I shall accept your praise nonetheless!

If you want any help with understanding resinning, just go through the stickies, they are your best friends!

Armor is looking awesomeness :)

have you thought of using smooth-cast instead of rondo??? I just bought 2 gallons of it, costs like $80. but in the end you will prolly end up saving money with it. also less toxic and a smaller cure time(more layers though >_<) just an idea

I did actually, AFTER the inside of helmet began looking uncomfortable. Unfortunately the damage(?) has already been done. And anyway, I'm not sure where I can buy smoothcast materials from near me. I shall look into it though.

UPDATE TIME 8D

Well, my second piece is finished, and this time it is my left forearm. Here are the pics (and a lot of them too!)

dscf0212.jpg

dscf0213.jpg
Ran out of body filler to use, so there's still some pitting :S

Jumping fowrds after a LOT of sanding, to almost having finished my painting:
dscf0214.jpg
dscf0215.jpg
The uderside is a bit... bland, methinks. But I don't think anyone will bep aying too much attention there.

dscf0216.jpg
And the inside of it. Major support done with polystyrene. Comfort done with actual foam! O:

dscf0217.jpg
And here's it on my arm! It's a little big, but I left room for my undersuit (once I buy it...).

Unfortunately, this may be the last update I post for a while, school resumes next week, and thus the beginning of year 12. I shall still aim to get as much completed when I can, but the next week is going to be busy.

Tomorrow is Australia Day, and I'll be spending my time at various friend's houses until saturday.

So, until next time 405th!

Okay, a minor update for me!

I finished pepping my right thigh this afternoon, so here's some pictures, along with my fully resinned left thigh:
dscf0210.jpg
dscf0211.jpg

If you look close enough you may be able to see some of the warpage on the left thigh. I got a bit cocky and didn't put on any support struts or anything :\ This is also what happened to my right bicep, but the bicep was affected much more severely.

The way things are going, I may or may not be working on my Right Bicep or AR tomorrow. It all depends on whether I end up going out with my girlfirend or not. School resumes wednesday, and so you'll probably notice a slight drop in my activity on the forums, especially my updates.

Well, I've decided mondays from this day forth shall be update day! Unless I have made some major progress that is 8D

Which, unfortunately... I have not D:

Since my last update I have done little more then cut out three pages of my right bicep.... school has been a real bummer.
I'm hoping that, by making a set time for updates, I'll manage to get something done, thoughb for the moment I am confining myself to pepakura construction alone, until I scrape in some more money.

Which I have, as I managed to win the win the Biology scholarship for last year, which is a $200 cheque 8D

Until next monday! (maybe)

yea i look alil big butt it looks kool r u going to make a suit too>

I'm not quite sure what you mean... do you mean the torso, or the underarmour? I AM going to make the torso, but that will be my last piece, as i require VROGY's Scout Chest, which has not yet been released (or completed, as far as I know <_<)

Also, though it is not yet monday, here be an update!

I redid the right shoulder (which was warped terribly) using Robogenesis/Ral Partha's HD MK VI shoulder, and I am much happier with this model then the basic bicep.
As you can see, it also has the pauldron, which will help me attach my Scout shoulders on.

dscf0212.jpg

dscf0213.jpg

dscf0214.jpg

The detail on this model is much nicer then my original, and I am very happy with it. it only took me two hours to glu... I'm getting better :D

your scout looks awesome. I think someone should just model a scout chest. It said vrogys had it for almost 2 years.

Thanks man, that means a lot!

And yes, VROGY has a version, I've seen it on his site, though I'm not sure if it is actually completed yet or not.

I know I was meant to update Monday, but school has a been a bit hectic lately. I pepped my second codpiece, and shall upload pictures once I get the chance (probably tomorrow, hopefully).

Well, I'm finally getting images up! I pepped this last weekend, and I've been a tad lasy D:

New codpiece:
DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

The unresinned one (smaller) is it. It IS a tad small, but the other one was FAR too lage. I'm going to modify it a bitwith foam.

Updates next weekend... maybe. I have a LOT going on D:

Dude! Your build has been coming along nicely. I'm glad you rescaled the thigh & helmet. BTW that last forearm pick looked bad ass! Good luck man!

Nice work on the pepping! Keep up the good work!
I also like how the forearm is turning out.

Cheers!

Dude! Your build has been coming along nicely. I'm glad you rescaled the thigh & helmet. BTW that last forearm pick looked bad ass! Good luck man!

Nice work on the pepping! Keep up the good work!
I also like how the forearm is turning out.

Cheers!

great work man, keep up the great work :)

Thank you everyone! It's nice to have support and praise:D

Anone following this thread will be happy to know that I'll be doing little else but work on my helmet this coming saturday (assuming I cna get the materials, and I don't get anotherm assive assignment <_< ). I should have an update saturday evening, or sunday :D

LOts of sanding methinks, but I can't wait to get this thing completed!

As I said, I worked all day on my helmet today! Unfortunately, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked... it still needs a LOT of work. I went through 1/2 a Litre of body filler as well <_<

But oh well, here's the update! And beware it is pic heavy!

Here is the helmet at the end of my day of labour:

The top and back is fairly smooth, but I need to work a little on the band in the middle.
DSCF0386.jpg

The front section was the hardest to do, as I could not find my coarse sandpaper and the mouse sander was too large to fit in.
DSCF0384.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

And here's me wearing it, just so you can see the scaling:
DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

And with the first layer of paint:
DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

I'd like to point out that the darker brown areas are actually wood putty, which I used for small pitting rather then wasting body filler. It works quite well and sands very easily. I liked it so much I covered most of my helmet in it, just to make it easier to smooth out. :D

Now I need to fix up the crappy parts, add the detail, and paint it. I'll probably do this next weekend, when I have some more time.
Until then!

ill tell you what i told another chap. the pep looks like the wave that hit tokyo, but as a first build its pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back