Mark VI Scout (First build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill tell you what i told another chap. the pep looks like the wave that hit tokyo, but as a first build its pretty good

Yes, that is the main reason I do not consider this a finished product :D Thanks for the criticism, it definitely helps make a better product when one knows what one needs to improve on.

I have been working on it today, and have acquired access tp a 'spray putty' and 'spray filler'. Both work well at filling smaller depressions, and sand rather easily. Dad found some 30-or-so grit sand paper in the shed, which has made the initial sanding much easier. I shall hopefully be finished tuesday, as I have that day off school for parent/teacher interviews.

Well, here's an update!

I am proud to announce that I am (as far as I am aware) the very first person to build the pep for the Scout Chest!Kudos to both VROGY for the original model and to Sutekhian for the unfold! (found here). As anyone who has been following this will know, I've been waiting for this for quite a while :D It's quite a good pep file, but as always I got a bit frustrate with the smaller pieces:

DSCF0421.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

I'm quite happy with this, even though I did not scale it before pepping it (I just wanted to get one done tbh... I may redo it later).

ALSO, I'm very close to completing my helmet! Here's some progress pics:

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

I may redo a lot of it, as there's still some pitting... but I'm lazy, and this IS a first build. Probably the biggest annoyance I've found is that I've sanded down through the bondo and resin to paper which has gone... shall we say, fluffy? Also, getting the indented area round the front right is incredibly difficult due to it's inaccessibility.
Either way, there shall be pictures of the finished (or, almost finished) helmet tomorrow sometime, as I have the day off of school (parent/teacher interviews, so I still need to go in).

Ohhhh that's an awesome build of the chest pep! Looks really neatly done :D I have to ask, was it hard or was my unfold do-able without too much fuss?

It was fairly simple, though there were little bits that were annoying - though these could have been fixed if I had simply went through and looked at all the pieces, then edited in a tab. For instance:
DSCF0415.jpg

I had to cut through the green valley folds in the corners to get the piece to fold as it could. Didn't cause any major issues, it just annoyed me at the time xD

Kudos again!

Helmets turning out pretty good, I noticed you said you have the fuzzy paper showing when you paint, when this happens to me all I do is paint the paper I sanded through with primer and when it dries, I lightly sand it down with 220 grit sand paper and they completly disappear, figure Id pass it on to you, I know what you mean and it ruins your paint job................. Darn fuzzies

it is looking really awesome man, love the helmet and keep up the fantastic work =D

Thanks Road Kill, I shall do my best!

Helmets turning out pretty good, I noticed you said you have the fuzzy paper showing when you paint, when this happens to me all I do is paint the paper I sanded through with primer and when it dries, I lightly sand it down with 220 grit sand paper and they completly disappear, figure Id pass it on to you, I know what you mean and it ruins your paint job................. Darn fuzzies

Ah, thanks man :D I'll be sure to do that!

No updates tonight, as It's taking longer for my final layer to dry then I would like, and I have a lot of tests to study for XD

Yay finally a scout chest post it on the wiki

I may do so, but the wiki is a place I've neer really used, and I think it's really up to the creator as to if he wants to do that or not.

... Anyhow, I has an update! The helmet is pretty much finished (minus the visor and padding)! Here's some pics!:

Right side:
DSCF0467.jpg

Left Side:
DSCF0469.jpg

Front:
DSCF0470.jpg

I used a combination of sanding and dry-brushing to do the scratch marks (turns out sanding can take out ALL the paint, wven when you do it carefully). I've decided the left-hand side of the suit will look more damaged then the right, as the left is what I am doing first and will probably be more flawed then the right.

ALSO, If anyone has any suggestions asto how I should pad the helmet (say, what do people do to keep it in the exact position they want) please comment. Same goes for any visor suggestions (I'm probably going to use a clear sheet lightly sprayed gold, but I don't have access to an airbrush <_<).

Wow, way to go! You can definitely see the improvement as you go through the thread! The helmet looks superb, my friend! Keep up the great work!

Wow, way to go! You can definitely see the improvement as you go through the thread! The helmet looks superb, my friend! Keep up the great work!

Thank you Abbym I truly plan too :D

Alas, I have fallen victim to suicidal limbs. It seemed that, yesterday when I was riding my bike, they saw fit to throw themselves at the bitumen. The very loose, very painful bitumen. I had to get three stitches in my knee, and now I must keep my leg straight, and my arms are all cut up. The (deep) graze on my right shoulder means it hurts to move that arm much; and the fact a large chunk of the skin on my left palm was ripped off means doing ANYTHING with it hurts. Thus, I feel the need to state that my work shall be put on hold until I am physically able to attempt it.

Well, I've gotten better much quicker then I thought I would, and am at least capable of gluing paper. Thus, I have just finished my right boot... unfortunately, I'm also pretty much capped, and thus cannot upload D:

I shall be continuing work on my armour, but there won't be any visual updates for a while... at least until my internet resets. I'm campiung at some point in these holidays, so those two dates may clash.

Just finished the pep of my new shin piece. Instead of the HD Modified one by Nicktendude, I'm using the original HD by Crackhead09, Unfold by Macattack64. Though less detailed, it's much easier to pep, and I think I got this scaling better now :S

I'm still capped however, and pictures shall be delayed. Expect a big update in a week or two when my limit resets.

Still ooking at doing the chest piece, and damn is that gonna take a long time D: 12 pages usually takes me ~2.5 hours, so 45-50...
Oh crap D:

Aaaaand today I made the peps of my new handplates. It took me about 2 hours to make 2 pages worth of pep... I swear, handplates are to me as Darth Vader is to Luke Skywalker.

'Cept it isn't my father.

And it hasn't thrown me out of a window

...maybe that wasn't the best analogy.

Lol interesting analogy....but you might wanna watch the 4 posts in a row man, since I'm assuming your time is still up, use this time to work hard, and hit us with a big update wif pikshuuuurrrrrrs

Lol interesting analogy....but you might wanna watch the 4 posts in a row man, since I'm assuming your time is still up, use this time to work hard, and hit us with a big update wif pikshuuuurrrrrrs

I actually have all the pictures, I just don't have enough internetz to upload them atm :\ Once the clock resets I shall have them up.

Speaking of updates, today I received the upper portion of my armour (my birthday present). Tis very awesome, but methinks I may have needed to get a size higher. It's also possible to see the back of my neck, but I suppose I can attach some black cloth there.

Well, here's the update I promised! Not quite as big as I had hoped due to it being rainy here, ut here goes:

First up, done a bit more to the paint job on my helmet, not much, but it looks better IMO:
DSCF0468.jpg

Also remade the left boot, using the 2-piece getup rather then the 3-piece. I found that with the 3-piece the warpage between the two connecting bits at the hell made it impossible for them to align properly, this worked much better (have just finished resinning them).
DSCF0476.jpg

I decided to try not folding the uneeded bits (like around the bottom of the toe and heel). This should means less use of bondo, but it made aligning things a trad trickier :S
DSCF0479.jpg

Also remade the left shin. 'Tis much better sized, and the lower detail means I have a bit more time to do other stuff:
DSCF0507.jpg

DSCF0508.jpg

With the thigh: Note that I couldn't actually bend my leg enough to put both the pieces on, as the thigh is currently only fiberglass and a touch brittle.
DSCF0510.jpg

And the handplates! I tell you what, I still hate these things, but at least they're outta the way now!
DSCF0511.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

Finally, the upper half of my underarmour arrived! This was my birthday present, and it fits well. however, I'm going to have to redo the padding on my forearm as they were design for my arm:
DSCF0516.jpg

I should have the front half of the chest piece done either today or tomorrow, and I'm doing some more rondo/bondo work, so expect more pics over the coming week!

Well, here's another update guys! Not much to report, unfortunately. I was hoping to have a most of the torso done by now, but I got a bit fed up with the pepping, and have been busy with other stuff (dad and I have been building a chicken enclosure).

Welp, here's what i got done so far:

The front half of the torso. At first I thought it was too small, but after looking at my reference images I realised it's probably quite accurate.
DSCF0528.jpg

Serious face is serious Q _Q

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0542.jpg

Also done the handplates! Or, I would have... except the paint I bought (which was cheaper then my usual one) didn't like sticking to my original chrome layer. The two are the same brand, so I figured they'd work well together... apparently not.
DSCF0534.jpg
Oh well, I'll be buying some more paint tomorrow (hopefully) and should have them done, along with...

The right forearm!
DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

I did this one a little differently - my original method was to just smother the piece in rondo then sand it a LOT. This time I just bondo'ed the areas that looked like they needed it. It's hard to see in these pictures, but the finer detailed areas are much better on this then the left one, which was a lot rougher. I should have this done tomorrow, once I buy some paint. Also note that I did some more sanding on the more obvious edges, so it's not qite as blocky now :3

I'd also like to point out that these are only temporary - I'll eventually be making the full HD forearms, but not until after I've completed the rest of the suit.

Also touched up the paint jobs on the helmet, forearm and shoulder. Just coated them in flat black spray paint, which I then wiped/smudged off. Gives them a much grittier look, which is what I was going for.
DSCF0540.jpg

Without Flash:
DSCF0541.jpg

In other news, I also bought some dirt-red spray paint ,which I'm going to use for detailing. I'm also going to be uploading a picture of what I hope the end product will resemble onto the initial post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back