Mass Effect 3 Costume/Armor WIP (UPDATES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work man, I too am envious of your scultpting. I really like the method your using on the sculpt, I might try it since i can never get the bondo smooth enough.

yeah i had that problem too, so i switched to this and i just LOVE sculpting. I think it takes more time but you can get details just the way you want them and i find it easier carving details in on this than using bondo, quick tip if you use this clay... to get a nice finish heat your tools up a bit before using them on the surface, itll make them glide across them smoother and leave a glossy smooth finish :D althought i usually end up using my fingers :p

Your helmet sculpt looks great man. I've tried the rondo slush and haven't had luck with it as well. This looks like it would work better for keeping all those small details. I'm thinking though, could clay moulds be used with vacuum forming? Anybody tried that yet?

thanks! :D and yeah i think itd work but it would have to be a strong clay that doesnt deform under heat so probaby air dry clay or if you had polymer clay if you baked it after you were done sculpting and vacuum formed over than once you cut it in half or something

thanks! :D and yeah i think itd work but it would have to be a strong clay that doesnt deform under heat so probaby air dry clay or if you had polymer clay if you baked it after you were done sculpting and vacuum formed over than once you cut it in half or something

What if you were to use the clay model to cast a mould, then you could heat form the pieces into the mould. And you could reuse the clay. Just melt it down again and pour into your next pepped piece. I think I want to try this. I'll start with that helmet file you sent me. You said the default scale was a good fit for you? Do you happen to know what hat/motorcycle helmet size you are? I'm a Large. Fitted hat 7 3/4 inches. Just seeing if I need to scale or not. Can't wait to see you finish that armor.

ill take some measurements next time im home for you, but yeah the default works good for me, in terms of height however the width scraped past my ears a bit so I plan to cut away some of the width on my clay sculpt to make it easier to put on. You could mould from the clay and cast in resin, but using some kind of vacuum form like method where you heat plastic up would be more like blow moulding. I plan to mould this and cast using resin, then of course im going to re use the clay for my next project :p

yeah it sounds like we're on the same page. the heat forming I'm talking about is I'm actually wanting to do carbon fiber moulding for the pieces that are carbon fiber. I was looking at some vids and you use a heat gun and press into a mould rather than laying over a sculpt. So I could heat press the carbon fiber pieces then cast the rest in resin and fit it together or just fit the carbon fiber ontop of the resin.

It's easier and around 300 times cheaper (with the same result) using fiberglass pieces, covered with carbon fiber vinyl. Just apply with heat an reade to go.

fiber-carbon-jpg.101501.jpg

This is looking really awesome! I just restarted playing Mass Effect 2 the other day to get ready for the third game, and seeing this build is getting me inspired! It's looking really great. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes in the future! :D

It's easier and around 300 times cheaper (with the same result) using fiberglass pieces, covered with carbon fiber vinyl. Just apply with heat an reade to go.

fiber-carbon-jpg.101501.jpg

that's awesome man where can I get some of that? and do you know if it form fits well on curved pieces? I would think so since all of the pieces of the armor that actually use it are just solid smooth curves, like the chest and shoulders. Which brings me to my next question. Does anyone know of any ME armor pep files on here? I seem to be fishing without a worm trying to find them. Thanks.

I'm unfolding a few files now. I have the left shoulder smooth unfolded, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you.

About the vinyl, you can find it in a car modification store or in the internet. It is specially made for cars so it forms on any curved surface, you just have to apply it with heat as seen here:

Last edited by a moderator:
DISCLAIMER

If you try ro use the clay method i do for helmets and or any other props, USE PROTECTION! this is no joke as you heat thiss stuff to over 100 degrees farenheight usually 150 or 170, this will easily give you horrible 2ndd degree burns. dont believe me? im the poster boy :p
2012-02-14095245.jpg

due to this my whole weeks holiday will equate to no work on this project :(

golem that sucks man. what are you heating in? pot on the stove? how does it not destroy the paper being so hot? you should get some insulated welding gloves from your local lowes or home depot. they're heat and flame retardant.

i put it in the oven personally, and it doesnt destroy the paper because its not watery, so the paper doesnt soak it up and destroy the paper. i have gloves for when i take it out and pour it into the pepakura, but u take it off when i slush it around because it takes more finesse than is possiblle with cooking gloves on :p
the only reason for that tho is because it doesnt have fingers so the welding gloves would probs be a god idea thanks!

The armor is coming along great! Where did you find the templates for the suit at? I've searched and searched and can't find squat. My daughter is a nut for the ME series, and I think a child sized foam build would be awesome.

if you search for mass effect templates have arrived, its a post by ithica with all the templates for ME 2 armor, Im doing ME 3 armor however and have to make up most of my templates, I usually use the templates by ithica purely for size reference and draw ontop of them, If you pm me your email i can send you my shoulder file and i made that in pepakura :)

if you search for mass effect templates have arrived, its a post by ithica with all the templates for ME 2 armor, Im doing ME 3 armor however and have to make up most of my templates, I usually use the templates by ithica purely for size reference and draw ontop of them, If you pm me your email i can send you my shoulder file and i made that in pepakura :)

ahhh thank you very much kind sir! You have made a little pink spartan very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back