Mech/Exoskeleton Build (Full-Size )

GMer56

Fiddled around with buttons all morning only to discover I wired them wrong, but I got there in the end.

Discovered a rocker panel on my car is almost rusted away so I gotta get some welding equipment to make some more... which means my "How to" video for my arm mechanism will be delayed until next week... or new year's day.

GMer56

Had to fiberglass my car after building a new rocker panel (pontiac seems not to have installed drains in their g6 line) and hooo boy. How you guys manage to make armor with this stuff is beyond me. Gets everywhere!

image:6861.jpg

Thank god i have coveralls, gloves, a respirstor and safety glasses.
That being said prolly no how to vid for the arms until this weekend, unless i feel like hooking up a spotliht to my mechs power supply. Hmmmm....

GMer56

its a bit strange that you would use pretty much the heaviest nerf gun there is. wouldn't it be easier with a lighter gun?
Whoops its the "Stampede" not the "Rampage" boy is my face red. I got it when it first came out so a bit of a money saver right there.

Most of the weight is the 6 "D" Cell batteries. I'm going to move the batteries into the torso and connect it up with a wire running through the arm, along with a cable to pull the trigger.

GMer56

Got a portable light figured out so I can work at night. In sub zero temperatures. No wonder my camera shut off after a minute of recording! Wanted to do a video but I guess I'll need to keep my camera warm in my car!

Took out Judd mcstudds arms and have them defrosting in the garage. Replacing the torso with a new frame:IMG_20190113_193529.jpg

Closeup of the knobbly knees

IMG_20190113_193542.jpg

And my skeleton Murphy couldn't resist hopping in (he's 5 foot tall)

IMG_20190113_193727.jpg

GMer56

Wow... your insane working in that cold! I'd understand if you lived down here because we get lucky if it hits 60, but subzero!? I'm suprized YOU dont need thawing out
I'm a true Vermonter :)
I have an ancient suede coat and a plaid furry hat in addition to my coveralls. Very warm.

It was nearly 27 tonight. Heat wave! A tropical heat wave! Temperature is rising, it isn't surprising...

Just installed the door. Too busy playing "Oxygen Not Included".

DSC00520.jpg

Perspective in this one makes it look tiny: hard to believe it's taller than my van (the bottom of that hatch is about 5" off the ground)
DSC00521.jpg

New years resolution is try to make a video per week. Already failed when my camera battery died last night but at least this Sunday will have a long-ish video.

GMer56

Do you not have any inside space to store the mechs? I hope the snow and rain don't damage them.
Judd McStudd is broken down & separated between my garage and my van. Big ol' Marduk is taller than my van so it definitely can't fit into the garage without disassembly. Most of the wood on Marduk is painted, and PVC isn't really affected by cold so really the biggest problem I have is getting ice out of the joints. I am considering covering it in a big ol' tarp, but with the winds here it would probably end up parasailing across the fields into a neighbor's house!

GMer56

Sorting through footage of the progress I made for MARDUK's vision system (Interactive GUI overlayed on a webcam feed). Might get a vid up for sunday, might just post a pic or two.
A local high school career center/makerspace likes my idea of volunteering to "mentor" (teach) a class to build giant robots -even suggesting a 3 wide vehicle garage as labspace woo! So I'm gonna get the ball rolling on their application process.

Oh god I'm becoming Gendo Ikari. At least I don't have a spouse to turn into a giant robot.

GMer56

Some financial issues means no more purchasing stuff to turn into mech parts for a month or so, but I can probably finish with what I have.

Been investigating Amazon publishing (a novel, how hipster of me!) and that got me thinking why not make a mech book too so I designed a cover:

BOOK.png

GMer56

Its an omlette. Yum!

After 7 hours of printing and a few dozen layers of paint I have a nifty icon to mount onto the mech (after a proper paintjob, of course!). Hopefully tomorrow my neighbor will stop burning grass (or whatever he's burning) so I don't have to use my respirator to mount it.

GMer56

Very windy today. And miserable.
Dug my mech out of its snowbank and almost got blown over! With only 1 panel attached it acts like a sail.
Maybe with the new position and time change I'll have enough light to build after work every day, and consolidate the optical system into a single tidy package.
Just in case the scale wasn't clear, here it is parked in my "motor pool"

Mech was previously parked about a foot behind the van's rear end. Now its right next to the garage (snowbank).