Mechanical Tail Costume Prop For Acon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthezar

Jr Member
So this costume peice has been in the works for well over 5 years. Started with building it out of K'nex. After proving the simple concept worked, I upgraded to metal. While the tail worked alright in the end, it was too heavy, and was very hard to counter-balance correctly with simple hardware springs. I then tried plastic, but my method of hinging the pvc was too crude to make a working model. A model made out of a foam swim noodle was next, but the hinges were too weak to support itself under its own weight. So after a huge cycle of experimentaion, and a boost of motivation from seeing James Cameron's new movie Avatar, I've come full circle back to an upgraded design made out of K'nex:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMnTjYniPo[/media]

I'll let the video speak for itself. it works Great! Here are some more detailed shots of the tail. I have since built another more 'color coded' tail, and wraped the original in tape, perhapse for future painting. I usually dont make final costumes out of K'nex, but since the model works so well, I figure why not?

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

basic box construction, and a hinge peice from my original design.

IMG_4888.jpg

Twin tails, one in vid is taped above. 5 segments hinged horizontaly, followed by 2 more segments, hinged in an alternating patern.

IMG_4891.jpg

Back plate with two belts passing through it.

IMG_4893.jpg

the alternating hinging at the base.

IMG_4892.jpg

the 5 strait segments, horizontally hinged.

All segments are tensioned per their weight with an increasing number of rubberbands.

I plan on doing an update video soon, hopefully for detailing all the working parts, so sorry if this is a bit vauge. Hope it satisfies you all for now!

Also, its been a while since I've posted here. If this needs to go in the 'general discussion' instead of the noob forum, let me know.

video looks good!

you covered in blue paint? maybe not..

but this looks well thought out -and maybe you will be the first to make one... 0.0

That is pretty nifty! I really like the idea of using k'nex! :pI know someone who might REALLY like that since they are now HUGE avatar fans and are actually studying the language they speak. :eek lol

What do you plan on using to go over the tail to cover it up?

HaloGoddess said:
I know someone who and are actually studying the language they speak. :eek lol

Hey, don't knock it. The Na'vi language is crazy cool. If they're on learnnavi.org (And they probably are), ask them their username, and PM it to me. Always fun to meet new people, and if they're friends of a halo lover, then they're friends with me!

As for the tail, that's pretty cool. I like how it can go up and down rather than just side to side.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is amazing. Can't wait to see it with a covering, i kept having to remind myself that it wasn't a real tail

Dude that is awesome. It looks like it works great. And ya, in agreement with some others, all you need now is a cover for it and make look realistic. that's great though.

Alright, here's pretty much an entire overview of my tail experimentaion as well as alot of details about the final version. enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRQ69lMrzQ[/media]

Balthezar Arith said:
Alright, here's pretty much an entire overview of my tail experimentaion as well as alot of details about the final version. enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRQ69lMrzQ[/media]

dude i love knex build them all the time the only big thing i made was a big ass gatling gun i sold it but yah love them

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man slick prop. I bet there is a Anime Cat freaking who's head just exploded. Lol This thing is so cool. And You go the movement on it perfect. Great job. So what are your plans now that you've made it? Are you going to sell it, or sell the blueprints or just let it be a one off? I really think there would be a lot of people interested in this tech.

Great work again. And nice blog thingy. Lol it came out great for your first try. Very interesting stuff. lol

Really nice stuff, but I would see it more on a Alien costume because of the way the tail move.

Pat

I've never seen any thing like this. I don't even see K'nex, I see an actual tail! That's crazy. Awesome job!

It looks like that tail really works! I don't think I will be wanting to dress up as anything that has a tail, but if I do, I will keep this idea in mind. It seems like a good, solid plan to use for a tail! :D Of course, I would work on a way to cover it up and still keep a nice fluid movement. There has got to be a way to do it! :eek

Thanks for all the awsome comments!!! Sorry for taking a week to reply. Something about my computor doesnt let it visit the 405th that often, dont know... whatever. anyways, like the video said, Im very pleased with the final version, and Im glad so many people also like it. Im thinking about trying out some kind of plastic sleeve to cover the whole thing, simular to something like the cylindrical 'bags' that posters come in. I may have an update when I get around to it, but for now any additions will only be made when I have a reason to wear it with a costume. Thanks for the interest!

three things

you can easily make this out of wood, not a solid piece, you have to construct every individual piece. Its not to hard once you figure out the mechanics which you have.

second, this will sound weird, but pantyhose. its a flexible material that will not hinder the movement at all, and gives it at least some covering.

finally as an experiment, take some of that pantyhose, enough that would fit over the entire tail, and stretch it over a long PVC pipe the diameter of the tail paint it with 4-6 coats of laytex, powder it with talc powder so that it doest stick to itself, and then restretch that over the tail. and you have a flesh tail that will have lost a little of its movement, but still works really well.

Nice tail, the movement is pretty fluid. For the "covering" you should try some pantyhose.

EDIT: Damn, wolf beat me by a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back