Metal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkov

Hey, I've heard of metal paste being used... but never in costume armor. Basically its a liquid that works kind of like fiberglass and hardens into solid metal.. Anyone tried this for super durability? Just curious

"Metal Paste" as it's called is really just a hard glue that has metal powder mixed into it.

It's isn't really any better than Resin or Epoxy... I think they just though they could sell more of it if they told people that it had metal in it.

Those clever advertisers...

Sean Bradley said:
Those clever advertisers...
hahaha, true.
just out of curiosity would adding something to resin help the strength? im not realy planning on trying it but it would be handy to know for future refrence.

EDIT: i might be mad but would fine sand do as a filler type stuff? yaknow, concidering sand is basicly very small peices of glass?

Last edited by a moderator:
would adding something to resin help the strength?

Yup, fiberglass. :D I think it has something to do with the molecular structure of these types of plastics, that using the long strands of reinforcement are what really makes them durable.

Other plastics have entirely different properties though... Urethane for instance isn't quite as brittle and doesn't need the fiberglass reinforcement as much... but it can be a bit more flexible..

Sean Bradley said:
Yup, fiberglass. :D
oh haaa haaa haaa Mr. smartypants :p

yea i thought so but might as well check. tiz always good to learn some new trick *example MUD*

Lol, getting a little dramatic squirl? Well, yes it would be a cool to find a better (cleaner) way to harden the armor. Well like AoBFrost's Hot glue method works, but it isnt as hard as it is in fiberglass, but it does save alot of time.

flying_squirl said:
oh haaa haaa haaa Mr. smartypants :p

yea i thought so but might as well check. tiz always good to learn some new trick *example MUD*

I didn't mean to be a smart a$$, but so many people are constantly trying to reinvent these processes, I just wanted to remind everyone that the materials that most of us are using really are the best for what we're doing. I understand that most people aren't prepared to make the investment, but theres good reason we're using mold rubber and resins...

I appreciate everybody trying to find new materials and processes, but sometime it seems like they're just not interested in learning the process.. just researching and making new suggestions...

Sean Bradley said:
I didn't mean to be a smart a$$, but so many people are constantly trying to reinvent these processes, I just wanted to remind everyone that the materials that most of us are using really are the best for what we're doing. I understand that most people aren't prepared to make the investment, but theres good reason we're using mold rubber and resins...

I appreciate everybody trying to find new materials and processes, but sometime it seems like they're just not interested in learning the process.. just researching and making new suggestions...

didn't mean to give off that impression, mud is about the best thing I've ever found, and yeah I use it A LOT... I was more curious in adding metal for realism, having metal armor would be pretty hardcore, although heavy.

Sean Bradley said:

that wasnt ment to sound like giving out, sorry. i was just messin :) . dont worry, ive invested and learnt the process (3 years of model makin in collage + my own projects) but i was just wonderin if anyone had messed around with the idea and came up with something useful.

It's not a bad thing to check this kinda stuff out, I guess I just get tired of people constantly trying to reinvent these processes.

Sean Bradley said:
It's not a bad thing to check this kinda stuff out, I guess I just get tired of people constantly trying to reinvent these processes.

yeah my bad, I wasn't tryng to re-invent so much as improve. I use mud and fiberglass resin a lot on my armor (and my jetskii as a result of a drunken crash into the dock). I like my armor a lot but I wish it was more indestructable. Even my bracers (made with mud) cracked and needed considerable rebuilding when a friend acidently stepped on em (granted they might have not had enough/the perfect mixture). But it sounds like there wouldn't really be a way to "metalize" armor without actually using real metal which I definately don't have the skill for.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?M...ct&ID=80921
This is much more than just "a hard glue that has metal powder mixed into it."
Lab Metal can be drilled, tapped and machined, try that with any glue on the market and you wil fail, destroying your piece and possibly messing up the tool you were using. I've used it and it's good stuff it's only real drawback would be the cost but it would be good for spot work, like where you want some wear or battle damage. Since it's so tough it can be used for the outer layer on the seat piece and it will resist being sat on anyone here.

More kiting from marketing.

Seems to me that hard, cured glues could be carefully machined, why should this be an exception? Because it's silvery all the way through?

It seems that the only real reason to use this stuff is if you needed something to retain a metal-looking finish after wear or machining after painting.. which might be nice if you expect your prop to be used a lot.

I wonder how hard it is to obtain aluminum dust and your own, cheap glue.
edit: the stuff is pretty hazardous. http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A2712.htm

I'm pretty sure that you can drill and tap PC-7 epoxies, and stick epoxies.. I'm still sticking with the theory that the metal powder isn't adding any strength at all... it's just a filler.

My there is a lot of love in this forum! "Lab-metal" would be cool as a outer/finish coat. It will help the armor from getting scratched and when the paint gets worn/scratched off you won't have to worry about repainting. Just call it battle damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back