***MICROSOFT RELEASES NEW GAME CONTENT USAGE RULES***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting:

You can’t reverse engineer our games to access the assets or otherwise do things that the games don’t normally permit in order to create your Items
Pepakura is officially illegal.

You can’t sell or otherwise earn anything from your Items
Armor for profit is officially illegal.

You can’t use the soundtracks or audio effects from the original game
Using clips of dialog on your MP3 players is officially illegal

you can’t use any of Microsoft’s trademarked logos or names
Making 'Halo ____' anything is officially illegal

If you do any of these things, you can expect to hear from Microsoft’s lawyers who will tell you that you have to stop distributing your Items right away.

There’s still a way to do some of these things we’ve excluded, but you have to contact us for a commercial license. Thanks, and have fun!

Wow... can't wait to see how they're going to enforce that broad of a set of rules. Sounds like they're going to start targeting their own fanbase...

Good luck with that!

BTW.... wrong forum... moving this to 'Halo Universe"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Bradley said:
Wow... can't wait to see how they're going to enforce that broad of a set of rules. Sounds like they're going to start targeting their own fanbase...

Good luck with that!

:rofl:

so does this mean that we can no longer sell items to each other for profit?

Reading it again, it appears to me that it means profit, so if you simply charge the cost of materials and the time you spent on a said item, you can get through that barrier.

This seems really hard to enforce and I can't see it going well in the community.

Chris

Could this have an effect on the 405th? Would it affect the forum? What could this do to us?!

We're gonna be illegally selling the stuff at busstops. Making transfers in suitcases and in alleyways. What will this reduce us to? We need our Halo! We need our Pepakura! Ahh! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry, just had too much game fuel.

I've never really profitted from the stuff I make, in fact I think I'm still in the whole a couple grand.... so are they going to cut me a check or what?

Actually theres a growing backlash to these usage rules brewing in the Halo fan community. It's widely being seen as a MAJOR bitchslap to the fans of the game. Microsoft better change their tone...

It's kinda like Sid said about workign with the guys from Epic.... that they know how to treat their fans... and somebody else doesn't... *hint*

Anyway if you're interested on how the Halo community is handling this... and love to read pessimistic articles, look here:

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=19553

Apparently at least one major machinima creator has packed up shop already...

Heres the key to doing things legally:

Microsoft grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use and display Game Content and to create derivative works based upon Game Content, strictly for noncommercial and personal use.

Alright,

I just checked the official forums for xbox and it seems nobody is enjoying this rule.

Are we allowed to give each other armor and in a completely non-related setting I just HAPPEN to give you a nice gift of cash?

Gifts are good, they aren't selling and there is no rule against them.

Chris

The gaming community has been bitchslapped before, like with the guy who made a Marcus doll using some brand thing, and got sued, big fuss, by makers of GOW. Does this apply if you have downloaded the files from a website, and therefore havent in fact reverse engineered the game, providing you make no financial profit from said files?

Kiltmanfortytwo said:
Alright,

I just checked the official forums for xbox and it seems nobody is enjoying this rule.

Are we allowed to give each other armor and in a completely non-related setting I just HAPPEN to give you a nice gift of cash?

Gifts are good, they aren't selling and there is no rule against them.

Chris

:agree: :agree: :agree:

giving a gift and reciving a cash gift

It must be very hard legally to define the difference between payment and gift... I'm quite interested by this, because i've never seen how this could work with minimum wage laws...

strictly for noncommercial and personal use

Nobody should have a business plan based on derivitive content.... apparently.

However it is suggested that you have liscense to create items derived from the game for yourself.... but you shouldn't be making things in mass for profit...

Certainly though this brings up the Pepakura question that I presented a long time ago:

http://mjolnirarmor.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ura+legal#23804

Pepakura is a little more at risk because it's ripped directly from the game...

*** Do you guys seriously think that saying it was a gift and unrelated to a financial transaction would stand up in court? Sure.... lawyers have never heard that before! :mrgreen:

Um. I used to be a modder. IM GOIN TO JAIL!!!111!!!

Does Microsoft think anyone cares? We're not going to stop machinima, armor making, or modding. Do they think they can sue us all? This is pathetic. They know damn well they can't do anything about it.

I personally don't really care what M$ says...

Until SWAT busts down my front door :ninja:

Then I'll start caring :shock: ...

You can’t sell or otherwise earn anything from your Items. We will let you have advertising on the page with the Item on it, but that’s it. That means you can’t sell it, post it on a site that requires subscription or other fees, solicit donations of any kind (even by PayPal), use it to enter a contest or sweepstakes, or post it on a page you use to sell other items (even if those other items have nothing to do with Game Content or Microsoft).
Micro Center's Halo armor contest is illegal...

You can’t add to the game universe or expand on the story told in the game with “lost chapters” or back story or anything like that.
Fan-fics are illegal... How can they make Fan-fics illegal??!! Does that hurt them in any way????

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fan-fics are illegal?!? Thats dumb, cos although everyone always praises Halo's attention to detail, it is actually a shallow world compared to, for instance, star wars. I mean, can anyone tell me, for instance, whether there is regular trans-colony civilian shipping? Indeed, any civilian spaceflight at all? Do marines ever take Elite jaws as trophies? What is the maximum length of time a human can safetly stay in hibernation? What material are the Halos built out of? etc, etc. Although, does the lisence disallow posting non-profit fanfic on hbo.bungie.org?

FAN-FICS ARE ILLEGAL?!?!

Does anyone remember Sir Brilliant?

He almost got his Halo fan-fic Published!

Now it's illegal?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back