Soft Parts Mission: Make as accurate a Suit as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The under suit is just as important to the costume as, say, the helmet in my opinion. I admire your effort. What steps have you taken in your suit so far (other than buying the grey bodysuit)?

The only things I have done so far are to get the body suit, enough leather for about 2/3 of the costume (should be all that I need really, since the rest is made of black mesh over stretch material), and some upholstery foam that I will whittle down to the appropriate shapes.
Next week I should be able to get the duct tape for it.

I would have more done (I have more than enough time on my hands) but it's the slow season in my retail store, so the one to take the smaller paycheck is me. In the summer I will have less time but more money, haha. I guess that's how it goes. I should be getting a support job soon, so that will give me more money to get the items I need to make the costume.

Other than that, it's just research, research, research. That way I can have a suit that fits together nicely with snaps and invisible zippers.

Okay, I redesigned the suit for wearability. It's going to happen in three parts: a jumpsuit, a jacket, and a "tactical vest".

The jumpsuit will include all of the pant details. This way it is a smaller piece to put on, and the sleeves are not attatched. This will provide greater flexibility and movement.

Bodysuit1.jpg

The jacket, well, I just want a jacket I can wear all the time, so I made it detatchable.

Bodysuit2.jpg

The tactical vest will include all of the "padded up" pieces that are between the armor and the jacket. It is thicker, about 1"-2" in areas.

Bodysuit3.jpg

All of the light grey areas are leather. All of the dark grey areas are spandex covered with some sort of mesh, to add to the industrial marine look of it.

Bodysuit4.jpg

I bought six rolls of duct tape last night as well, to begin making my mannequin so that this fits properly. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Bodysuit1.jpg
    Bodysuit1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Bodysuit2.jpg
    Bodysuit2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Bodysuit3.jpg
    Bodysuit3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Bodysuit4.jpg
    Bodysuit4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 183
Very nice. Looks like you have all the details.
Though, it looks really hard to take off in cases of needing to use the lady's room... Maybe you can add a hidden zipper down there?

Hmmm...
You have a good point. Anyplace I wear it to would have to have an unusually large bathroom to accommodate mass amounts of armor on the floor...
I think I'll make the entire front patch removable. Girls need a bit more than just a little zipper can provide.
I'll brainstorm some better ideas.

This looks spectacular. I may use what you've got so far for inspiration when I finally get around to my own build, if you don't mind. :D

By the way, I hope you understand how hot leather can get. You'll have gaps, which is good, (and might nullify may argument) but that seems like more leather than I'd be comfortable wearing for several hours. (which I have done before. ^^)
It might just work though. Just remember to keep hydrated!

:DYour suit looks awesome:D!!!!!! and I saw where you live in Washington also. I have yards and yards of the various nylon Lycra spandex mixes of fabric in satin and matte finish’s and fabrics vary in weight from 4 ounce to 12 ounce ( 2-4oz is like under armor 8-10 oz is what we use in NFL pants) and somewhere around here have a yard or two Lycra/nylon that has a gun metal finish. Also have a lot of various thicknesses of foam from an 1/8 of an inch that‘s designed for padding around the body and could get a lot of detail and some other types of the harder and softer padding. Have very limited sewing experience but have a sewing machine and all the tools for fabric work, have more than enough material around here for two suits. You wouldn’t have to worry about wearing the suit out because it would be made of the same material used in the NFL lol
To sum it all up. Would be more than happy to give you all the materials and tech upgrades you need for your suit If you’re interested in working together and collaboration on these projects.:)

Great design! It really inspired me to get back to my own undersuit planning! I actually just placed my order at milanoo.com, but i put a zipper in the front and got them to cut the face out. Its a really great deal.

So last night I decided to make a duct tape dummy. With the enlisted help of my fiance (he thought it might be kinda fun), we set to work.
Let me tell you, duct tape is not breathable at all, and it wrinkles a ton. We went through 120 yards of duct tape for my 100lb, 5'1" frame, which equaled about four rolls. It went on, cut off my circulation, and I couldn't move at all. Then when we finally (two and a half hours later) were able to cut it off, the tape was too tight and I cut myself trying to get it off.
Duct tape dummy protips:
1. Don't use plastic bags between you and the duct tape. It's super uncomfortable. Use a thin fabric instead. This will also help you get it off easier since plastic bags stick to skin.
2. You need two people. End of story. You can't move except for a tiny hobble that makes a penguin look limber and agile.
3. Use lots of duct tape. I recommend three to four layers.
4. Make sure any extra bits of fat (hips, breast, rear) are placed where you want them to be, otherwise they will be grotesquely flattened out and pudge up like a muffin top.
5. Use blunt nose scissors that are super sharp. I cut myself a lot by having dull pointed scissors.
6. Don't cut off your circulation like I did. Plus, you want a little gap between your clothes and your body, and making your dummy smaller than you are will just make things pooch out weird.

Other than that, it was actually a little bit of fun, I felt ridiculous, and now I have a perfectly sized duct tape dummy to work on. Now I have to tape it back up, make an armature, and stuff it. Bueno.

@ Extra_Crispy: Thanks! Use away, haha. I think I have an idea to promote more breathability, as well as add a little bit more stretch room to get in and out. I think it will save my sewing machine too, since I tested out some leather pieces last night and it spat them out in a mangled heap. I don't think it likes that my first sewing foray was a difficult medium like leather. :p

@AbbyWanKenobi: Thank you! I've been keeping an eye on your build too, and I think you're doing a good job! It's good to see other chicks here on the 405th :)

@M-071: That sounds amazing! My sewing machine doesn't like me very much, so it sounds great being able to get together with someone that knows what they're doing, even if it's just to talk shop. I'm pretty busy most of the time, but if you live fairly close then that won't be a problem. I'll send you a PM to see what we can do.

@DYSTORTED INC: Thanks! Milanoo is really the best site for those suits. They're so flexible with the styling and I love the fact that they're all custom fitted! I got my bodysuit for my Catwoman costume that I wore last Halloween there.

Sounds good! Sounds like you had fun last night. I spent my night ordering the materials for my sub-structure. Seriously I have some knowledge with sewing and making patterns from my academic years aka college and took fashion design classes dearing football season (don’t tell anyone it’s a secret lol) but I lacked the artistic ability to go on in the field haha The fabric I use is breathable, washable, flexible, durable the closest to what the suits look like and a million times comfortable leather. Look forward to talking later

i love the way the focus so far is on the udersuit. most people (even me) completely ignore it thill its too late, and i think that can ruin armour in a few seconds. best of luck with this

Nice focusing on the undersuit! its important if you want to be as accurate as possible... sorry to say im goin with the pressure suit lol but your plans look very nice and i cant wait to see it!

Thanks everyone!
I'm having a lot of fun working on the project. Tonight or tomorrow night I will be building some sort of armature for the duct-tape suit to hold it steady. Then I'll finally post some pictures! Horray!
I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible, so that's why I didn't just go with a simple undergarment, when for the same price I can use leather! So far I have spent (because everyone loves numbers)
1. 12.40 on a leather jacket Mens XXL (Ebay)
2. 11.70 on a second leather jacket women's medium trenchcoat (Ebay)
3. 7.00 on duct tape.
4. .50 on a large piece of black spandex at the thrift store.
Total so far: 31.60, and I expect to spend about $20 more on needles, thread, and possibly a yard of some sort of meshy material.

Your plan sounds pretty awesome, and the sketch is nice! What are you going to put inside the mannequin? Gona keep an eye on this thread!
Have you considered "Outlast" for the body of your under suit? You may want to check it out as an option.

What's outlast? Sounds expensive lol! I'm starting to plan my undersuit too so I'm looking for ideas too

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to stuff it with yet. tonight I'm heading to Wal-Mart (the only store open after 9pm in this town) to see whether pillow stuffing is cheaper than buying the equivalent of pillows. I vaguely thought about using expanding foam, but I need a slightly flexible form to work with, just to pull the clothing on and off of.

Edit: I just thought of it... does anyone know if shredding newspaper would be a better idea? I could pack it in there pretty tightly and then cover the outside of the mannequin with paint/plasti-dip/sealant to keep water out.

I really like how the design is coming along. Have you thought about integrating a harness system into the undersuit to attach the armor easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back