Mk 6 suit part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venture, I do believe that you are correct. The hand plates are too big... I may have a small army of hand plates before I get one right.

Back to the boots. Got one painted up. I think I may have gone overboard with the dry brushing, but I want this suit to look like it's been through h-e-double hockey stick and back.

DSCF0364.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

That boot is looking awsme man, hope the other one turns out just as well.

P.S. Is dry brushing when you take a clean brush and start brushing the paint off your work?

That's really a nice boot :)

I guess it's pretty normal that the armour would get damaged a lot faster around the bottom, imagine what Chief has gone through (literally :)).

That's really a nice boot :)

I guess it's pretty normal that the armour would get damaged a lot faster around the bottom, imagine what Chief has gone through (literally :)).

Thanks.

I plan on easing off of the battle damage as I move up the shin. I'm using the live action odst suits as a sort of reference for how much battle damage should go on the various pices. The bottom frons of the shins are going to get the same treatment as the boots, put then ease off to just the hight points as I reach mid thigh.

looks awesome. cant wait to see it finished.

Thank you.

So I was wondering around Lowe's today, searching for a toilet plunger and some rubber floor matting for my boots, and I found myself in the plumbing section. It seems only logical that they would keep the toilet plungers in the plumbing section, right? So anyways, I'm walking up isles of pipes and tubes, and I run across this little gem:

DSCF0374.jpg

It's a 4" expandable pipe. It looks like the section between the top piece of the boot and the toe, it's flexible, and a 22" (expanded) stick of this stuff is $6.

DSCF0375.jpg

So now that I have both boots ready for building, I'm going to try using this stuff for the mid section.

I'll post pictures (and maybe even a guide, it it turns out to be that complicated) on how I put my boots together.

EDIT:
Looks like the pipe is going to work really well.

DSCF0382.jpg

And once it's cut in half, it's REALLY flexible.

DSCF0384.jpg

Okay...so my brilliant idea for mounting the boots is FUBARed, and in the process, I destroyed the boots. Oh well. No big loss. I just need to take the pieces and figure out a different way of mounting the boots. I'll probably do those last. So this bring up the grand total of failed boots to 6. So I'll have built 8 boots by the time this whole scheebang is over.

Little mini-update. Cutting out parts for the forearms now. I LOVE my Silhouette.!!!!

DSCF0390.jpg

Ahh, I want one of those!! Hahah, it would make this so much faster. Also, the boots look great :)

(I WANT ONE!)

Too bad about the boots man, they looked awesome! Keep up the good work, wish I had painting skills half as good as yours :p

Too bad about the boots man, they looked awesome! Keep up the good work, wish I had painting skills half as good as yours :p

All I used was spray paint, and this method for doing the boots. I covered them with green spray paint (3 layers), and then drybrushed them to heck and back. It's not difficult, but I love the results.

I'm not bummed about the boots, though. I had an idea, it turned out to be a BAD idea (lost a pair of tennies in the processes. Not a huge loss. They were falling apart anyways), but I got a good idea in the process, so I call it a win. Plus, I wanted to re-do them with Smooth Cast instead of Fiberglass and Rondo. SO much more stronger and lighter weight.

Got the forearms done. Might be a little on the small side, but we'll see if I can get my huge hand through the opening after I resin them. I prefer them to be a little small, as I would like maximum flexibility with the suit, while still having pieces that look right.

DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

And I just realized that I'm out of cardstock. Well, not completely out, but I'm down to about 5 pages, which leaves just enough to do handplates. Wonderful. I'm going to have to brave the Black Friday traffic tomorrow to get more.

Looks really good. I've always been really bad about making two of the same piece in a row...I did that with the helmet and it completely burned me out. I just made a bicep piece and will not be making another for a few days, hahah. It does look a bit small, but it looks like it will fit well enough and look nice.

So my mom, the awesome person that he is, managed to dig up some more cardstock. So with a fresh of pack of cardstock in my grimy hands, it's time to start the helmet.

Something ain't right....

DSCF0402.jpg

There they are.

DSCF0403.jpg

and 6 hours later...the thing is done.

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0411.jpg

that sweet, just a note on the resin layers and business, IF you can get a sizable amount of smooth on, then you can just cut resin out of the picture, just take some smooth cast and paint a layer over the outside, oh and do you think if you put fibreglass and then smooth cast, would that make it awsumly strong? ( i dont mind weight ) :)

that sweet, just a note on the resin layers and business, IF you can get a sizable amount of smooth on, then you can just cut resin out of the picture, just take some smooth cast and paint a layer over the outside, oh and do you think if you put fibreglass and then smooth cast, would that make it awsumly strong? ( i dont mind weight ) :)

Actually, I'm keeping the resin in the picture for 2 reasons: 1) It hardens slower than Smooth Cast 320. I only want to get one type of Smooth Cast, and I like the pot time that the 320 has, and 2) The Smooth Cast is more liquidy than the resin, and doesn't do as good of a job of sealing the piece as the resin.

With the arrival of the gallon kit of Smooth-Cast 320 sometime in late December, I'm hoping to cut fiberglass out of the project entirely. I got the pint kit to see what the 320 could do, and the results are very impressive. I'm sill going to use Rondo for shaping, thus I still need a good supply of resin and Bondo, but the actual hardening is going to be done with 320.

Ah, that picture with the large helmet is awesome... And what's even funnier, I have one that looks exactly like it :-D

It's also interesting how you you have such constant quality in your pepping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back