Mk V/VI - It is what it is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used almost a complete large can, 3.78 litres.

Wow, I would have expected more. I think my helmet alone is at 0.3 litres already and will go up to about half a litre until I'm done with it. So I'm estimating that I'll need more like five litres for the whole costume.

Anyways, keep in mind that resin doesn't have an infinite shelf life, especially once it's open and you can always buy more later.

Wow, I would have expected more. I think my helmet alone is at 0.3 litres already and will go up to about half a litre until I'm done with it. So I'm estimating that I'll need more like five litres for the whole costume.

Anyways, keep in mind that resin doesn't have an infinite shelf life, especially once it's open and you can always buy more later.

Yup... 5-6 litres is about right... That's how many I use to complete my suit --and-- I still need to do a weapon. :p

Hmmmmmmm. Well I actually went out to the shed and looked. I used one large can (3.8 lt). I bought a smaller can along the way, but it's still unopened on a shelf.

I didn't make a complete set of boots, just spats, that could be some of the difference.

Everything seems very strong, so durabilty hopefully won't be an issue. I am attending a con at the end of the month, that'll be the true test. I'll post condition updates :)

Eh, nice build! Really liked your amount of detail and info layout on pg.1. Also, thx for the advice from the other noob forum (Join/Disjoin peices).

Nice armor build. I always have respect for anyone who can finish a suit, and the fact that you're making a weapon makes it even better. That ar is niiiice. Keep up the good work, and best of luck!

Thanks guys! There is a Science Fiction here this weekend, and I'm wearing the armour. It'll be its' first trip into the public eye so I'm a bit nervous!

Wish me luck and hopefully pics with swooning admirers after the weekend :)

HERE IS ULTIMATE PROOF THAT EVERYONE LOVES THE MASTER CHIEF!

The lady is, of course, Denise Crosby, who played Lt. Tasha Yarr on "Star Trek: The Next Generation". She was going in to the room behind us as I posed for some pics at the top of a small flight of stairs, she couldn't resist giving the Chief 'bunny ears':

th_dc1.jpg

th_dc2.jpg

Great costume! I was quite happy to see Master Chief at the Con and have a pic taken with you!
I went to the open talk that Denise gave - she seems like an amazing person. Very friendly, easy going and a great actor.

Hal-Con was a blast! For a first year effort, I think it was amazing. I am led to understand that the turn-out was far greater than expected, and of course the costumes were amazing.

Denise gave me (and a couple of folks) our geek moment of the con. The gentleman who took the picture of her giving me "bunny ears" showed it to her on his i-pad. She autographed it (digitally) for him!

Hi Waynehead:

I consider this build successfully completed. I learned a bunch, had a ton of fun building it, and it was a hit when I wore it!

I am currently working on a high-def Mk VI helmet, I have pepped, sealed and stiffened it. I used Smooth-Cast 321 to stiffen and I'm currently battling with priming/sanding this material. I will put up a build thread on this shortly, thanks for reminding me.

In meantime, I am wearing the costume in a local Christmas parade in a couple of weeks. Among many others from local costume/SF groups will be myself (as the Master Chief), at least 1 Storm Trooper, a Warhammer Space Marine and a Dalek. Merry Christmas! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back