Mk V/VI - It is what it is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadkiller

Mk V/VI - ...

Part of my job is planning. We plan for everything, no matter how unlikely. However, eventually you have to stop planning and execute with what you have. Whatever happens at that point, right or wrong, is simply summed up as “it is what it is”. Some view that as a fatalistic viewpoint, but I believe it is a statement of accepting reality.

In early August I decided to attend an upcoming local Science Fiction convention in costume. The Master Chief was the only thing that came to mind and of course, that leads directly to the 405th. In late August I thought I might be able to get things ready for the launch of Halo: Reach, but I couldn't pull it off.

When I started, I had no experience with any of the skills required. Therefore in order to learn, I decided to use low-def models. Once I have everything together and am satisfied that I can execute a greater challenge, I plan on using the winter to put together a high-def suit.

I am 1.83 m (6 ft) in my sock feet and weigh in at 99 kg (218 lb). My personal ideal weight is 91 kg (200 lb) but again, like the suit - 'it is what it is'.

1. Undersuit:

Top and bottom are UnderArmour knock-offs available at Walmart for $13 (all prices in Canadian $$) each, total of $26. Both men's size XL. The harness is an old backpack cut up. I got it from my son so it was free :) However, I've seen them at the local surplus store for $8. Socks from my sock drawer, they cost what, a dollar?

th_HaloMasterChief001.jpg

2. Cuisse (thighs):

Robogenisis Mk VI scaled at “72”. There is a buckle expoxied to the underside of the upper lip and strapped to the harness, holding the entire thing up. There is a strap around the upper leg, it's held with 'hook and loop' so there won't be plastic pieces rubbing when I walk.

th_HaloMasterChief002.jpg

3. Greaves:

Robogenesis Mk VI scaled at “73”. The knee pads were picked up at a handyman surplus store known as “Princess Auto”, $5. The boots I had, but similar ones can be had at a local surplus store for $30. They are comfortable, and if you are planning on wearing the suit for protracted periods, I wouldn't skimp here.

th_HaloMasterChief003.jpg

4. Biceps:

Robogenesis Mk VI scaled at “74”. I had a hard time building these, and I'm not totally satisfied. They will almost certainly be among the first pieces I replace. Buckles are expoxied into the top of each and they are strapped to each other across my shoulders. I am going to put a loop or other support for the strap at the top of the harness to keep it from sliding down.

th_HaloMasterChief004.jpg

5. Chest:

Robogenesis Mk VI scaled at “74”. I seperated it in the wrong spot, so it doesn't fit together the way I want. Soon, I will epoxy the top back together, put some fibreglass on the inside, fix up the paint, and cut it apart again about 3 – 5 cm (1 – 2 in) lower. The rubber tubing ($4) is currently there to keep the front and back pieces from grinding on each other.

th_HaloMasterChief005.jpg

6. Codpiece:

Robogenesis Mk VI Pelvis scaled at “73”. The pieces are fastened to a wide nylon belt picked up from a military surplus store for $8. Currently just held on with 'hook and loop', but I'm going to epoxy some old shower curtain hooks to the inside to act as belt loops. The belt will hold an assortment of kit: real pouches to carry stuff (like my wallet), blue coloured tennis balls fastened on with 'hook and loop' for plasma grenades, etc.

th_HaloMasterChief006.jpg

7. Forearms:

Robogenesis Mk VI forearms scaled at “71”. The gloves are cheap motorcycle gloves, $14. They extend a good distance into the forearm. The easiest way to put the forearm on is to slide the gloves down inside until the hand part is exposed, then put the whole thing on as if it were one elbow length glove.

th_HaloMasterChief007.jpg

8. Helmet:

MOZ Mk V helmet scaled at 28.435. In late August I thought I might be able to have the suit ready for the launch of Reach. I had already tried a Mk VI helmet and failed due to a misjudgement on scale, although I now have an interesting lamp shade. I needed something I could make quickly and the MOZ piece fit the bill perfectly. At just 23 pieces, it's great for NOOB's. The visor is an HJS shield picked up at a local motorcycle shop for $50 (!). The lining is the guts of an old helmet bought for $20. The edging is the rubber hose I also used on the chest. Its' use in the helmet is what I actually why I bought it. The foam accents are from a kids craft project bought at Michael's for $4.

th_HaloMasterChief008.jpg

Other supplies required for the build:

Enough polypropylene strapping, buckles and “hook and loop” fastener (Velcro) from a marine supply store to do this suit and another. The shipping cost almost as much as the stuff! Oh, the joys of living about as far east in North America as you can get. Anyhow, a total of $30.

2 packs of Bondo Plastic Spreaders - $6.
2 tubes of Glazing Putty (one small, one large) - $15
4 packs of 8 foot square fibreglass cloth - $40
3.7 lt can of fibreglass resin - $50
4 cans of body filler (Bondo) - $40
1 pack of 110 lb card stock - $10
1 tube of elmers craft glue - $5
Refill ink for the ink-jet printer I was using - $40
2 cans of good quality spray primer - $12
2 cans of hammered aluminum spray paint - $16
2 cans of satin oregano spray paint - $16
1 can of flat black rust paint - $5
A lot of sandpaper – call it $20
A lot of paint brushes from the dollar store – call it $15
1 tube of epoxy glue - $7
1 memory foam mattress topper - $20 (on sale at Walmart)
1 can of spray adhesive - $10 (for glueing the foam padding)

The grand total of perishable supplies (this is stuff everyone will have to buy and use) – call it $500

I also had to purchase the following equipment to perform the work, you may have some of this stuff or may not want it:
Respirator - $30 (DON'T SKIP OR SKIMP ON THIS!)
2 packs of latex gloves - $20
1 roll of shop towels - $3
1 rotary tool (dremel ) - $15 (it was on sale).
1 mouse type sander - $50 (it wasn't on sale).
Hobby knife kit - $10
Assorted files in a kit - $12

Total invested to date – call it $650. This is really a RAG (Rough Assed Guess) as I no doubt forgot something in my accounting.

FUN HAD – PRICELESS!

To complete this suit I am going to make Robogenesis' HD hand plates and 3 piece boots (just the spats portion of the boots). I'll also be installing lights in the helmet, cutting air vents and I may give installing a fan a try. I'm currently on the look-out for something to make a suitable neck covering.

I'll be building a high-def Mk VI helmet to go with the next project.

I'm also about 60% done converting a Nerf Recon C6 into an Assault Rifle homage (pics soon).

oh.... pretty car..... so pretty......

Huh? oh wait, the armor, ya it looks good..... But man.... just look at that blue..... =P

Update on the weapon as promised.

I'm using a Nerf Recon as a base. Then pep'd up some pieces such as the "bulge" over the barrel (scaling was tough). In some places just worked out a shape directly on the toy with thin cardboard.

Hardened the paper and cardboard as usual with resin, then fibreglassed. It's very strong and will certainly survive some rough handling. Then body filler (bondo) over that to try and get the shape and make it smooth.

Now, sand and fill, sand and fill ...

th_RecontoAR001.jpg

th_RecontoAR002.jpg

Thanks. I've started painting in some highlights on the armour, started the final paint stages on the AR and building the "detail" pieces (hand pieces, etc). There is a SF convention locally ( http://www.hal-con.com/ ) starting 29 Oct, and I want to attend as the MC :)

Kit muster with weapon. The Halo "rifle" is about 90% done. I intend to weather it with a wash of flat black paint. I'm still trying to figure out what to use to simulate the grooves in the hand grip on the stock, maybe just foam tape. (Click for larger image)

th_Kitmuster001.jpg

th_Kitmuster002.jpg

th_Kitmuster003.jpg

Looking good... Even if it is low def, it is still unmistakenly MASTER CHIEF! In fact your more closer to the Chiefs height than I am.
Another Proud Spartan for sure!

The nice thing about the way your doing it is now you can start the High Def pieces one at a time and slowly replace the low def parts with the High Def parts.

Cant wait to see more pics!

Cheers

Thanks LS-X, very astute, that's exactly my plan. I have a suit now that I've had fun making and learned a bunch doing. Now I'll move on to higher levels of the hobby without any deadline. If something comes up where the MC would be an appropriate guest, I'll just go with what I have.

I expect to start work on a high detail helmet after the local convention (HALCON at the end of October). I'm still deciding on "winter friendly" material. I'll likely go with aqua-resin and smoothcast as resin and fibreglass replacements. Still studying an alternative to body-filler (Bondo), any suggestions?

I've got my daughter lined up as photographer this weekend, so some actual action pics up soon :)

Hmmm... I have heard of people using Rondo and or more layers of fiberglass resin instead of Bondo. But I have not yet experimented with either method.

Master Chief goes into action ...

So, I went with the wife to a nearby industrial site to get some pictures this past Sunday. The entire affair is a sorry tale of dead batteries, kids who didn't fulfill promises, driving back and forth, lost pictures, etc etc. However, in the end there were a couple of usable shots:

Master Chief falls in:
th_guard-shoulder-arms-1.jpg

Standing At-ease:
th_guard-at-ease-2.jpg

At-ease (another angle):
th_guard-at-ease-1.jpg

Move out!:
th_Advancing-action-low-1.jpg

Covering fire!:
th_Advancing-bushes-2.jpg

Advancing slowly out of the bushes:
th_Advancing-bushes-1.jpg

If you can see this, you'd better be on his side :) (my favourite pic of those that came out):
th_Advancing-bushes-3.jpg

hey pretty nice suit man it looks really good and there is another person on the 405th with the name having Roadkill in it, just saying but there is like 4 people, other then that nice suit man :)

Hey mind telling me where you found the Under Armour knock offs in Walmart? Like what section cause I couldn't find them...
And also how much resin did you actually use cause I'm ordering from Amazon.com, cause my walmart doesn't have it....

Hey mind telling me where you found the Under Armour knock offs in Walmart? Like what section cause I couldn't find them...

Men's Underwear. The brand name is Athletic Works.

And also how much resin did you actually use cause I'm ordering from Amazon.com, cause my walmart doesn't have it....

I used almost a complete large can, 3.78 litres.
In Canada it's also available at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto and any auto-body/parts supply store.

Good luck with your build!

Men's Underwear. The brand name is Athletic Works.

I used almost a complete large can, 3.78 litres.
In Canada it's also available at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto and any auto-body/parts supply store.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks a lot and when I read the resin I saw 7 litre so yeah.... And when you wear the Under Armour do you wear anything underneath it or would that be too hot.

The Under Armour is the stuff designed to keep you cool. All that fibreglass and auto-body filler piled on your body keeps you plenty warm. So I just wear the Under Armour with my best pair of Homer Simpson boxer shorts underneath :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back