MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good looking boot so far man, can't wait to see you all suited up now and see if its gonna make much of a height difference :)

Well the boots add 3 inches already And that's before getting a sole job :)

Great start to the boots buddy. Will this by chance be part of your tutorials?

Great start to the boots buddy. Will this by chance be part of your tutorials?

I am not going to be doing the boots in the tutorial now as they are quite complicated and wouldn't make for very good tutorial material. I am going to cover the same methods I use but it'll be on made up shapes so I am not concentrating too much on making sure the parts are right for my suit. I want to make sure my mind is focused purely on explaining techniques only.

Killer boots!
when everyting is said and done, you will have added some decent height to the overall build.
Can't wait to see the videos... when they finally get here ;)

On as side note.... I TRIED MY FIRST JAFA CAKE!!!

Was the Pim's brand.... it's all I could find :(
It was quite good, even if it wasn't I feel that I would have been satisfied all the same as it has been an itch that I have been waiting to scratch for some time!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
So the boot is nearly done. Sorry haven't got my tutorials done yet but me and the family have all been sick so once I am back to normal I will get them made. Hopefully some pics of my progress thus far will make up for it for now :)

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Ready for soling.

Paint not completely finished but if I had to wear it I could. Still have to work out how to connect the ribbed section in the middle to the two parts of the boot but I have an idea already on a good way to do it so once thats done it off to the cobblers.

IMG_0996.jpg

Boots look great!
Whole lower leg looks great!
And finally... Paint looks great!
Well done sir! Fantastic work, Just a little more... and you're done!

Dave.

Thank you guys :)
Sorry I haven't had any updates or tutorials but my glue gun died just before I finished making the boot so been waiting for a new one to arrive in the post. Went for a slightly more powerful one this time too cause I did go to the store and bought a cheap one and I just couldn't work with it as well. Having the glue really hot makes all the difference. It kinda works out for the best though as I have some wedding photos to work on and my suit distracts me too much from my RL work.
Hopefully the new one will turn up in the next few days and I can get some tutorials started.

How did you finish/paint?

Hey Amazing build! I'm sorry if I missed you mention somewhere in your thread but did you finish the foam or anything before painting? What type of paint did you use? Thanks!

I am curious about the painting as well. I have heard that the foam needs to be sealed or heat treated before paining.

Hey Amazing build! I'm sorry if I missed you mention somewhere in your thread but did you finish the foam or anything before painting? What type of paint did you use? Thanks!

It's cool am happy to explain again :)

1. Undercoat the foam with plastidip. This seals it so the foam doesn't eat/soak up the paint you choose for your finish. It also protects it against any paints that might eat through the foam. I havent encoutered them yet but I know they are out there. Because of the properties of the plastidip it levels out to a nice smooth finish. I use the paint on (not spray) and don't get any brush strokes once it dries. I have never done more than one coat. I bought the white plastidip, one coat will seem a bit transparent but the primer will take care of that. The plastidip is for sealing and finish reasons only.

2. 2 coats of general primer, nothing fancy.

3. I have used both car spray paint and hand painted acrylic paint on my builds. For this build I hand painted it with acrylic paint so I could shade it and it was more cost effective. For my Ironman suit I used car spray paint to get a nice shiney clean finish with no shading. I didn't want this build to have a shine so haven't used any lacquer but did on the Ironman suit for a clean, fresh out of the work shop finish.

A word of advice from my personal experience. If you see a build you really like the look of try reading/scan through the whole thread. Normaly people will say how they did things. Before joining 405th I had red through as much as I could and searched YouTube for vids that might help so have never had to ask anything, the information is out there. I am in no means saying don't ask people questions but I would say the first rule to tackling these kinds of builds is read, read and read some more :)

Hope this helps if are thinking of doing a foam build and of course if you can't find the answer to a query ask away :)

wow that is a pretty epic looking shin and boot =D the the paint looks great
keep it up man and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back