Mk Vi Thigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I see what your talking about, that part on the back of the thigh is shaped wrong. Oh man I have to redo my thighs too? Nah its just one little thing and I wont upgrade unless the new thighs have a lot more going on, like those new shins :lol

I feel like my comment got overlooked due to it's lack of visuals, Mark the places you wish to alter with blue painters tape. This gives you a straight line to work with. Then using a heat gun heat the area you wish to remove. after heating it a bit use an exacto knife to remove the area. using more painters tape cover the hole and slush cast more rondo to seal. this will remove the entire area and give you a nice plain area to sand smooth. It is very easy, and takes about 30-45 mins of total work. I will see about pepping out a thigh to demonstrate this on.

r0ysszjpg.png

I don't want to argue with you but I would not consider it a "favor" like you said in the 1st post. From what it sounds like to me it would be a lot of work to get it the way it should be. You say only 30-45 minutes, but if the modeler would have just paid attention to all the details it would only have taken 2 minutes to pep. Surely you understand with all the props you've done that every minute you have to work on your armor is valuable. All I am saying to put it short is that I wish that all those that are modeling pieces would check and recheck there references before they do something.

I also wanted to say that I have been working on a completely remodeling a few of the other mk vi pieces I'm not really satisfied with and I will see if maybe soon I can get to the thigh.

agbates said:
I don't want to argue with you but I would not consider it a "favor" like you said in the 1st post. From what it sounds like to me it would be a lot of work to get it the way it should be. You say only 30-45 minutes, but if the modeler would have just paid attention to all the details it would only have taken 2 minutes to pep. Surely you understand with all the props you've done that every minute you have to work on your armor is valuable. All I am saying to put it short is that I wish that all those that are modeling pieces would check and recheck there references before they do something.

I also wanted to say that I have been working on a completely remodeling a few of the other mk vi pieces I'm not really satisfied with and I will see if maybe soon I can get to the thigh.

You're remodeling some pieces? If you do that, do you think you could get me the files? If you found some detail that you feel should be included in the pep and are working to make it more accurate then let me see! :pI want to eventually make my fiance a Master Chief costume and IF we get to do our Halo themed wedding, he is going to need it! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
HaloGoddess said:
You're remodeling some pieces? If you do that, do you think you could get me the files? If you found some detail that you feel should be included in the pep and are working to make it more accurate then let me see! :pI want to eventually make my fiance a Master Chief costume and IF we get to do our Halo themed wedding, he is going to need it! lol

Yeah I'll give em to everybody, I've kind of been working off and on different pieces and other projects but I've got a good bit done. I'll try to post some pics.

Ok sorry to double post but here is the progress some shots of what I got so far. I am also working on the forearm but am too lazy to take any pics. The chest is complete and was made using Flying Squirrel's torso as a base. I would ask his permission but he has not been on 405h in a long time. If he does come back and he does mind I will remove it. Unfortunately I can't find the updated file right now but as soon as I do I will post it. Also as you can see I have been working on the shin. For this one I started with the shin ripped from the Halo 3 beta. As you can see I still have a long way to go in it, but the details are coming out nicely.

4-6.jpg

5-6.jpg

agbates said:

This is by far the rudest and most selfish thing I have ever read on this site. I don't know if I should laugh or cry, really.

Yeah I may have been a little harsh to the modeler saying he didn't pay attention, but saying that I made the most rude and selfish comment ever on this site...REALLY? Low blow...

i dont know that i would call it rude. Agbates has an incredible eye for detail, and the research that is put into his models is phenomenal. I would say his remark is like Yoda telling Luke that is really is possible to lift his x-wing with the force. like Yoda, Agbates is a totally pimp short green dude that stuns us all in the second trilogy released, and we all bow to his awesome lightsaber skills. wait, thats not what i meant.... Agbates has awesome skills, and he sets the standard as far as i can tell for the 3d modelers. If he thinks we should pay closer attention to the models we make, he is probably right.

ArmouredApostle said:
Agbates is a totally pimp short grren dude that stuns us all in the second trilogy released, and we all bow to his awesome lightsaber skills

Thanks. I think I might have to put that into my sig...lol.

agbates said:
Yeah I may have been a little harsh to the modeler saying he didn't pay attention, but saying that I made the most rude and selfish comment ever on this site...REALLY? Low blow...

You went far beyond "a little harsh". Your comment totally trashed another modellers work just because you need to spend 30 minutes of post pep work to get it game accurate. And REALLY, I do consider it the rudest thing I've read on 405th.

ArmouredApostle said:
i dont know that i would call it rude. Agbates has an incredible eye for detail, and the research that is put into his models is phenomenal. I would say his remark is like Yoda telling Luke that is really is possible to lift his x-wing with the force. like Yoda, Agbates is a totally pimp short green dude that stuns us all in the second trilogy released, and we all bow to his awesome lightsaber skills. wait, thats not what i meant.... Agbates has awesome skills, and he sets the standard as far as i can tell for the 3d modelers. If he thinks we should pay closer attention to the models we make, he is probably right.

Why would anybody need to put more detail into their work than they want to? Does crackhead have some sort of responsibility to you or anybody else to make files that are 100% accurate? The files are available for free for anybody to use or not use, whatever you like. I can understand that people like HaloGodess want more accurate models, but openly bashing a modeller because his models need 30 minutes of post pep work to become 100% game accurate is just ridiculous.

"RED ALERT, RED ALERT, INCOMING WAR"

tensions are getting high aren't they? agbates is right, i agree that as much detail in a pep model is a good thing, and to get it as right as possible. i had to rebuild my ODST helm model more than 4 times and have it unfolded three times before i got it to the pint where i like it, and even than i see some flaws to fix but i cant bother to invest more time into that model.

anyways, while the comment was a bit rude it has a point, could have been put better but gets right to the point. but your response to his comment came back bad as well, the matter could have been dealt with better.

a debate between this can go on forever so lets not loose track of what the thread was for, a detail was missing and it needed a repair, mistakes happen, NO model is perfectly accurate EVER. so lets deal with the issue and not the debate ?

I don't want to continue this war but I am going to put it straight. I NEVER trashed his work. If you recall I said "to put it short I wish that all those that are modeling pieces would check and recheck their references before they do something." I have been modeling in 3d for quite some time and it becomes obvious that you need to double check things before you do them. It's like the old saying "measure twice, cut once". I personally like Crackhead and would never bash his work I just think he needs to needs to double check his references before he continues on with something. You can keep bashing me all you want and trying to make out to be the worst person ever, but in the end I'm done debating.

agbates said:

It could really go either way but at this point my advise is use the thighs tat are already done, but if you want to start over HaloGoddess feel free to send the old thighs down to me to use as tutorial materials. I hate to see anything thrown away, and with so much potential in every piece of pepped work, anything can be made

Accurate thighs or inaccurate thighs...who cares

because at the end of the day

Your hand will hurt from all the high fives you'll get being dressed up as Master Chief...so yea :)

I wanted to post something here about how we all want accurate armor, with some kind of witty comparison, but I dont feel its necessary. Just look at the modeling threads. they are full of comments about 'this doesnt look like the reference shots.' Basically we dont want to have to add bondo and sand in a new detail that wasnt there. Not all of us are the worlds most talented artists. pepakura is like paint by number. the better the black and white lines, the better the finished product. I, like most of the less skilled on here, want the best platform to start from, to get the best end product.

I know that I am big on detail it is why I went straight to HD pep on my first armor but I haven't gotten to look closer at the model since doing other things and trying to get my current armor done for a convention. But I will say that if I notice this I would be seeing how to change the armor to be more accurate.

Agbates: those are some good looking models you got there I can't wait for them to come out so I can use them for upgrading my armor which is still in progress but is kind of being rushed together at the moment.

HaloGoddess: A Halo themed wedding would be awesome to see.

Here's my rant. I'm putting it in as a 'spoiler' so no one is forced to read it...

<RANT>

I'm sure HaloGoddess never meant for this s--- storm to occur. She's a lot like me. Anal retentive to the point of "It has to be perfect or I can't sleep at night." I've been there.

I do also understand that there are lines. One of which is that Pepakura, while a great starting point, has it's limits. That said, who wouldn't want their starting point to have as much detail in it as possible? I get that. But...

The modelers here on this site provide a service. A free service. The fact that there are public models out there at all is an extreme privilege! They put hard work and effort into every model they make. This fact is glossed over far too often by the majority of the non-modeling population of this forum. Many modelers want to make a piece to the liking of who will be making the file, and they may ask for criticism, like me. I like to know what people like/dislike and want in a model, but at the end of the day, it is the modeler's creation. No, it may not be to your liking. Yes, it may not be 100% game accurate. But you know what? It's more than what you had before, and you should appreciate the effort that went into it.

If a model doesn't meet your standards, well I don't mean to be blunt/rude/offensive here, but that's your problem. HaloGoddess wasn't really in the wrong for pointing out this fact. She doesn't have the 3D skills to fix it herself, and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and might want to help out. I did the same thing for Crackhead's HD shin, except I do know how to model a bit, so I asked him for permission to mod his file, and he graciously agreed. I don't know if anyone has really noticed, but this thread has totally been derailed, as no one has really confirmed weather or not they will fix or rework the detail HaloGoddess was looking for, which is what this discussion is supposed to be about.

I'm really really not pointing fingers here. There have been 100 threads before this one where these issues have come up. I joined these forums like 2 years ago, they were happening then. In fact, modelers who were around then, are gone now, perhaps in part because of the pressure and expectation put on them.

</RANT>

With or without having read that, and with different opinions put aside, I think we can all agree to respect each others' work, and each other as individuals.

Also:

mc hammer time said:
Before I speak, I feel I must justify myself. Take note of my post count. Thank you.

That means nothing. Do I have to put "You are not your post count" back in my sig?! ;)

Yeah I think I should like I said get to the thigh it just might be a week or two because I am so busy with graduation coming up and my other various projects.

Well said Nicktendo, I appreciate the hard work all you modlers do, without you guys, no Tarkov helmet and no Lone Wolf helmet for me.

Also I like to get as accurate as I can, but, I also cut myself slack just so I can finish the darn helmet. If I see something that's not accurate on the pep file, tough for me, I see it as a way I can expand my Bondo skills, If I see something inaccurate on my helmet when it's finished, once again, tough because I know I've busted my butt on the helmet.

I'm not going back to fix a few slight problems, because to quote STEALTH,"At the end of the day your hands will hurt from all of those high fives get being dressed up as Master Chief..."

However I can see wher HGoddess is goming from, I would hate too have everything perfect to the tiniest detail, some I'm not pointing the finger at anybody I'm just sharing my own personal opinion. Great job so far Abgates, Love the models Crackhead, Nicktendo: Great Rant. lol. :D

Shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back