MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Mardon, what type of wax do you use for your molds? How is it applied both on the master when it is molded and later when you apply it to the mold for casting? (soft wax put on by hand, parrafin melted and poured or sprayed?)

I just read through the thread again and couldn't find it in your posts. But it's late and I might have missed it.

Looking great as always.

I dont know what he uses, but I use carnauba wax. 20 layers should do both on the plug, and mold. Wait 15 minutes after each coat of wax. You also rub wax on. And if you dont want your gelcoat to stay sticky, if you apply PVA mold release, not only do the models literally pop out with ease, but it eliminates the stickyness.

NOITAIDAr said:
Any more updates, Mardon? we haven't heard from you in a while now
He got caught up on anoher project that he was commisioned for, one that HAS to get done. so he'll be back on the armor boat in a week or two

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!

First off - I sincerely apologize for dropping out of sight as if I jumped off the edge of the world - hehehehe :p
Since last Christmas, it became uber busy & some pending projects needed a lot of our attention - and it is only now that we're slowly catching up to this project.

Well, we're now running full gear & starting where we left off. The next offering that we would have is the cod/belt/butt plate.
I took just a single pic today as it was being layed-up with fiberglass.
Kindly check out the last pic in page 5 of the Halo3 photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=5

Ahh, its great to be back! :D

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

looks great! good to have you back....thought this was never going to be updated. but now you back and thats good so then we can see updates. CAnt wait to see more of you work MLC.

Thanks for the welcome back greetings guys - appreciate it! :D Thanks as well to those who emailed & PM'ed :D

I also would like to give special thanks to those who ordered helmets & torso armors during my absence - kudos to you guys! ;)

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Update 02/28/08:

Still working on the prototype belt and is proving harder than we thought - had to make a temporary mold for Pep belt, pull a copy and re-work again - to finally re-mold anew.
We felt that it is imperative we work on a more "solid" foundation than rely on the cardboard pep product.

While we're currently adopting the details, alignment of both the front cod & rear butt plate is also considered to possibly fit a variety of wearers.......moreover, adjustability if at all possible is also considered.

Making it in parts/sections may yield a better adoption for various sizes, unfortunately it might also complicate and compromise the section itself - "less is more" would be my design philosophy for this section :D

.......but even with that philosophy in mind, I'm still pushing for usable side pouches! :p

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

MLC said:
Update 02/28/08:

Still working on the prototype belt and is proving harder than we thought - had to make a temporary mold for Pep belt, pull a copy and re-work again - to finally re-mold anew.
We felt that it is imperative we work on a more "solid" foundation than rely on the cardboard pep product.

While we're currently adopting the details, alignment of both the front cod & rear butt plate is also considered to possibly fit a variety of wearers.......moreover, adjustability if at all possible is also considered.

Making it in parts/sections may yield a better adoption for various sizes, unfortunately it might also complicate and compromise the section itself - "less is more" would be my design philosophy for this section :D

.......but even with that philosophy in mind, I'm still pushing for usable side pouches! :p

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

*sucks in belly* "I think it'll fit now, and yes, it will stretch...a bit more!"

Looks great bro! Question, what's your take on how that piece will be able to be 'fitted/adjusted' to various individual sizes? Cut and join?

Again, sweet job bro!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Lookin awesome, Mardon, and nice to see you back to the Halo armor...
The belt looks great, and the functioning side pockets is a great idea, and I'm sure would come in very very handy...

Keep up the good work, I'll be sure to watch this thread again!

Halo_1 said:
Looks great bro! Question, what's your take on how that piece will be able to be 'fitted/adjusted' to various individual sizes? Cut and join?

Again, sweet job bro!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Yup, that'll be a good way to do it :)

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Mardon - a couple of quick questions if you get a minute...

How well do you think the buttplate will stand up to sitting down on it (how much flex will there be or is everything just rigid fiberglass at the joints)?

I may have missed this info but what waist size is this made for without modification?

Any cool pics yet of the hinged pouch lids (great idea by the way!)?

No rush - just curious - Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back